Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 09:25 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinyc81 View Post
Hello: Check out Times Square Church, great sermons and they have a young adults group..
I don't go to church, but I've walked by Times Square Church when people are showing up/ leaving and it always seemed like a pleasant, diverse crowd with a lot of young people too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 09:27 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Also consider the Riverside Church in Morningside Heights. Very active, very involved with social justice issues, and has many many other ministries, including of course one aimed at young adults. It's a large congregation. I believe it was started as a Baptist church (not the Southern Baptist variety either), but now is effectively an inter-faith Christian church in practice.
That's where I was married! Great church, very open-minded. We had a ceremony, not a full mass, but we had Catholics, other Christians, Jews, Muslims, and athiests as our guests and everyone said they felt the homily/sermon spoke to them regardless of their denomination.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Best church for TRUE Christians is ZUCCOTTI PARK!

Old 03-16-2012, 04:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,995,375 times
Default our Saviour New york

Check out Church Of Savior on 39th and park. Father Rutler is truly awesome. His mass is like nothing I have ever seen-- a truly holy sacrifice. Rutler is a convert from protestantism who converted to the one true faith. He gets little to no press but he has a growing flock that is turning their back on moral degeneracy pervading these dark times. His Catholic Church has made pagan New York a center of true Christianity. It is a very beautiful Church as well. A real shrine to our Lord.
He has a deep reverence for the Gospel.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:48 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,870,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALINOH View Post
Hi. I'm planning to move to NYC this summer and i'm trying to find some churches there to attend. I'm looking for a relatively open-minded congregation with a lot of young adults. Do you guys know any that fits the bill? I'm 26 and i've only recently started learning about Christianity. You could say that i'm a spiritual baby and i'd like to learn about the faith more to see if it's really for me. However some aspects of more conservative churches kind of bother me and i'd like to go someplace that accepts people for who they are. Any help would be great. Thanks!
St. Luke's on Hudson St. Episcopal and very tolerant and very pretty. Here's the website: http://www.stlukeinthefields.org/

They have a 20s/30s group:

20s/30s Group

This group meets monthly for fellowship, service, and fun. Please contact Fr. Hugh Grant for further information (hgrant@stlukeinthefields.org). This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it. Please download the schedule here.

I don't go here or anywhere for that matter, but I have been to two services in the past and I liked it. However, the incense was a bit much.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:14 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
St. Luke's on Hudson St. Episcopal and very tolerant and very pretty. Here's the website: Home Page | The Church of Saint Luke in the Fields

They have a 20s/30s group:

20s/30s Group

This group meets monthly for fellowship, service, and fun. Please contact Fr. Hugh Grant for further information (hgrant@stlukeinthefields.org). This email address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it. Please download the schedule here.

I don't go here or anywhere for that matter, but I have been to two services in the past and I liked it. However, the incense was a bit much.
Nice. I'm an Episcopalian and familiar with some of the city's Anglican churches, but not this one.

Yes, OP, Episcopal churches are welcoming to all, and an odd mix of modern thinking/social justice and the practice of ancient rituals and following the liturgical calendar.

Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Check out Church Of Savior on 39th and park. Father Rutler is truly awesome. His mass is like nothing I have ever seen-- a truly holy sacrifice. Rutler is a convert from protestantism who converted to the one true faith. He gets little to no press but he has a growing flock that is turning their back on moral degeneracy pervading these dark times. His Catholic Church has made pagan New York a center of true Christianity. It is a very beautiful Church as well. A real shrine to our Lord.
He has a deep reverence for the Gospel.

What a beautiful sanctuary.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,066,350 times
Start with Unitarianism and then work your way into the more absurd cults until you reach your tolerable limit.

Personally, I like Pastafarianism best.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:20 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
"Rutler is a convert from protestantism who converted to the one true faith"

FSM?

Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM

400 posts, read 983,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALINOH View Post
Hi. I'm planning to move to NYC this summer and i'm trying to find some churches there to attend. I'm looking for a relatively open-minded congregation with a lot of young adults.

Hipster Church
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City