Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Marijuana Smoke on the Streets Becoming a Problem?
Yes 66 42.86%
No 88 57.14%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM

1,121 posts, read 591,660 times

Advertisements

The is plenty of evidence that living in NYC can cause mental problems and it likely increases with poverty and stress. And where there is stress there will people reaching out for substances that act to relieve stress and worry.

There are plenty of reports out there claiming that Cannabis use irritates mental instability. So does coffee. Crimes revolve around drug use way more often than people who are not drug users.

When you smoke pot and get the munchies or fall asleep or become forgetful and lazy or increased anxiety afterwards --- do you really think that drug is "harmless" and safe? Think of what it must be doing to your internal organs if you get the munchies, probably effecting your kidneys or pancreas or blood in some way.

The correlation between being arrested and having used or abused some substance (even too much coffee) are probably near the 100% range. There is almost always a correlation between arrests and drugs.

propman-nyc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Thank you for being the voice of reason. I know a lot of people that are pot heads and alcoholics. The pot heads live productive lives, never get into trouble, have steady jobs and are good parents. But the alcoholics are a different story. They have family issues, can barely hold onto a job, some also use coke, have multiple DWI's, etc. The amount of damage weed might do to a person doesn't not come close to the damage and destruction alcohol does. Yet alcohol is very legal and easily accessible.

A member mentioned on the LI forums that people that think of weed as a gateway drug are people that were lost before their first toke, which is accurate. And I find it as being the ultimate sign of hypocrisy that a destructive drug like alcohol is legal but cannabis is not.

People are so ignorant in their assumptions of marijuana.
Every pot user in the world defends pot like it is some perfect drug. Pot heads lack any ability to see both sides of the coin.

The lady lost family members. I'd re examine how safe THC is because in the game of recreational drugs there ends up being far more losers than there are winners.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:11 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
The is plenty of evidence that living in NYC can cause mental problems and it likely increases with poverty and stress. And where there is stress there will people reaching out for substances that act to relieve stress and worry.

There are plenty of reports out there claiming that Cannabis use irritates mental instability. So does coffee. Crimes revolve around drug use way more often than people who are not drug users.

When you smoke pot and get the munchies or fall asleep or become forgetful and lazy or increased anxiety afterwards --- do you really think that drug is "harmless" and safe? Think of what it must be doing to your internal organs if you get the munchies, probably effecting your kidneys or pancreas or blood in some way.

The correlation between being arrested and having used or abused some substance (even too much coffee) are probably near the 100% range. There is almost always a correlation between arrests and drugs.

propman-nyc
Not going to argue with that, although I've never heard of anyone having an arrest related to too much coffee!

I think if smoking affected my kidneys or pancreas, it would have shown up by now, particularly since a genetic kidney disease exists in my family, and at 60, I seem to have escaped it.

But you've got some major stereotypes in there that are not true of all smokers. For one thing, I am old, as already pointed out, and I don't smoke every day, nor when I do am I going to smoke until I am so obliterated that I can't function. I'm not going to drive when I smoke. I also am not going to smoke so much that I eat an entire bag of peanut M&Ms, because I KNOW that CAN happen. Hell, that can happen even without me smoking. I might not be addicted to weed; sugar is a different story. Blood sugar issues could be a problem there, yes.

The biggest worry, as KK pointed out above, is that smoking of any sort could cause lung damage. I quit cigarettes only 7 years ago, and I likely did some permanent damage with that. That's why most long-term smokers take a hit or two at most and don't sit down and smoke an entire joint or a bowl all at once. I don't think I'd be able to even do that. I never could.

The point is, lots of people do smoke responsibly and without harming themselves or others.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:21 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Every pot user in the world defends pot like it is some perfect drug. Pot heads lack any ability to see both sides of the coin.

The lady lost family members. I'd re examine how safe THC is because in the game of recreational drugs there ends up being far more losers than there are winners.

But when compared to alcohol (which is legal and easily accessible) what is more dangerous? I'm not saying that cannabis is perfectly safe and can be consumed by anyone. I know people who have adverse reactions to it and don't recommend they use it. You can do damage to your body when you smoke or ingest it. I'm not leaving that out.

But let's look at the bigger picture, if alcohol is legal cannabis should be too.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Thank you for being the voice of reason. I know a lot of people that are pot heads and alcoholics. The pot heads live productive lives, never get into trouble, have steady jobs and are good parents. But the alcoholics are a different story. They have family issues, can barely hold onto a job, some also use coke, have multiple DWI's, etc. The amount of damage weed might do to a person doesn't not come close to the damage and destruction alcohol does. Yet alcohol is very legal and easily accessible.

A member mentioned on the LI forums that people that think of weed as a gateway drug are people that were lost before their first toke, which is accurate. And I find it as being the ultimate sign of hypocrisy that a destructive drug like alcohol is legal but cannabis is not.

People are so ignorant in their assumptions of marijuana.
That is very perceptive.

Yes, they are lost because they have the predisposition to addiction in the first place. I will use my own daughter as an example. She was very straight edge all through high school and in her first years of college because my ex, her father, is an alcoholic. She would not take even one drink because she was terrified that she would be an alcoholic just like he was.

Around her junior year of college, she let up on that and began to have an occasional drink with her friends.

It only took a few years. She landed in a hospital near death from alcohol poisoning at 24. She was doomed from that second on a Thanksgiving weekend in 1990 when sperm hit ovum. Fortunately, she is well and thriving and sober now, but that demon of addiction will always be inside of her.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:33 AM

Thanks for relating Queen

Caffeine is a strong drug and it is hidden in many packaged foods today. My guess is that a high percentage of the videos we see with wild subway violence, has caffeine hidden somewhere in the back story of the aggressors. It is just never something police ask after the fact, like "do you drink coffee every morning?". For some reason I think a lot of subway violence has a correlation with caffeine related addictions.

One thing that I find odd is that I have no memory of ever smelling Cannabis smoked in the subway and not inside the cars either. I smell people holding it, maybe deliverying it, but not lighting up. To me that is strange.

I think in the case of this NYC topic, the subway should be considered part of the "street", or just smoking in public. Again I want to add that I voted No, but the smoke is a problem inside our building, or just within the structure of our building (6 story apartment) including the front door, entrance, rooftop, stairwell, hallway, even the scent drifting under our apartment front door. We put a towel under the door.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Thanks for relating Queen

Caffeine is a strong drug and it is hidden in many packaged foods today. My guess is that a high percentage of the videos we see with wild subway violence, has caffeine hidden somewhere in the back story of the aggressors. It is just never something police ask after the fact, like "do you drink coffee every morning?". For some reason I think a lot of subway violence has a correlation with caffeine related addictions.

One thing that I find odd is that I have no memory of ever smelling Cannabis smoked in the subway and not inside the cars either. I smell people holding it, maybe deliverying it, but not lighting up. To me that is strange.

I think in the case of this NYC topic, the subway should be considered part of the "street", or just smoking in public. Again I want to add that I voted No, but the smoke is a problem inside our building, or just within the structure of our building (6 story apartment) including the front door, entrance, rooftop, stairwell, hallway, even the scent drifting under our apartment front door. We put a towel under the door.
I did, and fairly recently. Sat down on the train next to a guy who reeked like weed, and then I saw him pull out a vape pen, inhale, and breathe it out.

The smell was very strong, which seems to go against what someone else said about vaping not having an odor. This one sure did.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:07 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,403,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is very perceptive.

Yes, they are lost because they have the predisposition to addiction in the first place. I will use my own daughter as an example. She was very straight edge all through high school and in her first years of college because my ex, her father, is an alcoholic. She would not take even one drink because she was terrified that she would be an alcoholic just like he was.

Around her junior year of college, she let up on that and began to have an occasional drink with her friends.

It only took a few years. She landed in a hospital near death from alcohol poisoning at 24. She was doomed from that second on a Thanksgiving weekend in 1990 when sperm hit ovum. Fortunately, she is well and thriving and sober now, but that demon of addiction will always be inside of her.

Sorry to hear about your daughter's early issues but I'm glad she got passed that stage and moved on with her life. Sometimes reaching the bottom can make you realized your priorities in life and help get your act together. I know that from my own personal experiences.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:16 AM

14 posts, read 21,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
You can't walk anywhere in NYC for more than 5 minutes these days without catching a whiff of someone smoking pot. If people want to smoke pot that's their business but they should keep it indoors. Marijuana smoke smells completely disgusting and is a bad mix of skunk, old lady sofa, and festering sneakers.

It seems that with the lowering of enforcement action every year people feel the entitled right to smoke it everywhere and anywhere without consideration for anyone around them. And it's only going to get worse especially with De Blasio in office
Oh relax, it's good for your nervous system. If anything they're helping you out man.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:18 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
I'd re examine how safe THC is because in the game of recreational drugs there ends up being far more losers than there are winners.
And by far the number one condition of someone who loses the game of recreational cannabis?

Prison time and the resulting criminal record that keeps them from procuring gainful employment after their conviction. And for some reason, consumption rates being equal, black and Hispanic people seem to suffer this ill effect at far greater rates than white people. Strange that...

TCH is not the prefectly safe drug that many of its proponents say it is, but its most negative effects are an artificial social condition, not something intrinsic to the psychological or physiological effect of its consumption.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City