Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 10:54 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times

Advertisements

The highest speed limit for any highway in NY or NJ is 65 mph.

In NY, I usually go around 60 mph in the city itself if the highway is empty, same with Long Island ( speed limit 55 ). I don't want any tickets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2016, 10:59 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post

In NY, I usually go around 60 mph in the city itself if the highway is empty, same with Long Island ( speed limit 55 ). I don't want any tickets.
I went to court with my buddy once many years ago. Slowest driver to get a ticket for NYC highway is 66 in a 55 zone....judge said guilty over 50x I was there...think only 1 person got off.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:04 AM

2,466 posts, read 2,764,686 times
I seem to sit in buttloads of traffic every day on 80 in Jersey for a few reasons; people in Jersey literally drive right into the back of one another at highway speeds or someone is in the left lane (not out of state plates) barely doing the speed-limit while those in the center lane box all in the left lane in.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:06 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep , they , do not understand the difference between points and convictions .
They? Who is They?

Listen, thanks for the info and apologies for not being an expert in everything traffic/driving related. The way you carry on, I assume you are though.

All I know is that I received a speeding ticket in Boston about 10 years ago and one in Pennsylvania about 15 years ago. Neither of them came up on my driver abstract in NY State and my insurance never found out. I pled guilty and paid a fine in both cases.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2016, 11:38 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
so people in NJer are speeding lunatics means that NYer should join in? Speeding tickets can be very hefty in NJ.
If you're going 70-75mph at 65mph speed limit, the troopers aren't gonna pull you over. They are after guys hitting 85-90mph. If you're a NYer, you just pay the fines. A NJ resident has to appear in court to answer to a judge. Usually it means hefty fines with no points, other wise you get slapped with points + fines which is a lot more they have to pay than a NY driver.

My point is that NJ Troopers do not waste their time pulling over people doing 75mph on 65mph. If you're doing 80mph at a 55mph area, yes they will but not on the turnpike or GSP.

NY highways are very dangerous because majority of people don't reach 55mph even if the highway says 55mph limit.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If you're going 70-75mph at 65mph speed limit, the troopers aren't gonna pull you over.
true

Quote:
A NJ resident has to appear in court to answer to a judge. Usually it means hefty fines with no points, other wise you get slapped with points + fines which is a lot more they have to pay than a NY driver.
depends on township, country, or state trooper

Quote:
If you're doing 80mph at a 55mph area, yes they will but not on the turnpike or GSP.
I personally know people who were pulled over in NJ doing those speeds

Old 06-21-2016, 11:46 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
Quote:
that is if they pull it up. I am not sure what prompts them to pull it up. I remember getting questionnaire from my insurance if I got tickets or this or that changed....

if you change insurance, its is guarantee they will see all!
yep , we used to get the questionnaires . usually what puts you on the radar is an accident or suddenly taking the drivers safety course when you never took it before . other then that they may randomly pull transcripts but odds are if you don't put yourself on the radar they won't look

Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
I went to court with my buddy once many years ago. Slowest driver to get a ticket for NYC highway is 66 in a 55 zone....judge said guilty over 50x I was there...think only 1 person got off.
my buddy who worked for highway said if you set your speed control for 9 miles over the limit odds are you will be okay . 10 over on the highway can be hit or miss . some days they will do ten if it is a non productive day at highway speeds .

Old 06-21-2016, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
They? Who is They?

Listen, thanks for the info and apologies for not being an expert in everything traffic/driving related. The way you carry on, I assume you are though.

All I know is that I received a speeding ticket in Boston about 10 years ago and one in Pennsylvania about 15 years ago. Neither of them came up on my driver abstract in NY State and my insurance never found out. I pled guilty and paid a fine in both cases.

Thanks
boston mass was not part of it and pa became part in 1994.

there are two parts , the drivers license compact and the non resident violator agreement .

most states feed info in to the pool on resident drivers but some do not report back on non resident drivers .

mass is part of the dlc but not the nrvc (non resident ) . pa is in both .

ny and nj are in both

Old 06-21-2016, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep , we used to get the questionnaires . usually what puts you on the radar is an accident or suddenly taking the drivers safety course when you never took it before . other then that they may randomly pull transcripts but odds are if you don't put yourself on the radar they won't look
wouldn't it be easy money for insurance firms to be pulling every policy holder's driving record either manually or with some software?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: