Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 08:53 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,906,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by acljump View Post
Couldn't find any permits on my block in nycstreets.net so I wonder what gives? Also, doesn't the nycstreets.net website only show permits for "street" level work? According to the marking colors, the work is related to gas, which might mean the pipes underground. Is there any resource, where I can check on underground work?
There would be a "street opening" permit. Also note that it's not uncommon for utilities like Con Edison and National Grid to do street work without the proper permits.

When the call is made to get the markouts, all utilities in the specified area are marked. The work might not be in front of your house, but somewhere in the general vicinity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2016, 01:50 PM

51 posts, read 129,108 times
Someone suggested I call 811 for info on digging requests, at which point was directed to the website searchandstatus.com where we found several dig tickets on my block.

According to these tickets, the dig requests were made by NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. I called them to try to find out more but was unable to find anyone to give me further information. At this point, I've hit a roadblock.

My best guess at this point is that my block was picked to be part of the NYC Parks and Rec's tree planting program. And they marked up the sidewalks as a precursor to the tree plantings.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:08 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,573,373 times
The most rational conspiracy theory is that these are illuminati marks.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:28 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,932,107 times
Quote:
Someone suggested I call 811 for info on digging requests, at which point was directed to the website searchandstatus.com where we found several dig tickets on my block.

According to these tickets, the dig requests were made by NYC Department of Parks and Recreation. I called them to try to find out more but was unable to find anyone to give me further information. At this point, I've hit a roadblock.

My best guess at this point is that my block was picked to be part of the NYC Parks and Rec's tree planting program. And they marked up the sidewalks as a precursor to the tree plantings.
The Parks Dept is as actually been working with DEP are putting these bioswales everywhere. This is a possibility on what the sidewalk construction may be for: Bioswales and Stormwater Greenstreets

They are cute until you the property owner, have to maintain them.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:51 PM

51 posts, read 129,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
The Parks Dept is as actually been working with DEP are putting these bioswales everywhere. This is a possibility on what the sidewalk construction may be for: Bioswales and Stormwater Greenstreets

They are cute until you the property owner, have to maintain them.
I hope that's not the case. The only consolation I can take is according to the article, bioswales and stormwarter greenstreets are tagged with green paint whereas mines was tagged with yellow paint.

But like others have mentioned here, the color of the paint may not necessarily indicate the identity or reason of the planned project work.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:14 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,906,711 times
Quote:
I hope that's not the case. The only consolation I can take is according to the article, bioswales and stormwarter greenstreets are tagged with green paint whereas mines was tagged with yellow paint.

But like others have mentioned here, the color of the paint may not necessarily indicate the identity or reason of the planned project work.
I would think bioswales are for areas with a really wide sidewalk or for areas with a large lawn in front of the building. Otherwise they would not be capturing a maximum amount of rainfall.

They planted trees on a block near mine a few months ago. At some point, somebody will mark out in white paint where the proposed tree pits will be (just the corners of the pits). If you see these markings, then you'll know.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:18 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
My block got new gas lines and several parts of the sidewalks were cut up. They will replace it, the homeowner does not have to pay for it.
they will do a crappy job though.

and after they lay the cement down its best to keep an eye on it, so neighborhood kids dont write in the wet cement.
trust me on this.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:32 AM

25,381 posts, read 37,118,719 times
S&G:
Sodom and Gomorrah.

Old 10-25-2021, 12:10 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,095,985 times
I am bumping this old thread because a USIC worker just marked up my sidewalk and the street in front of my home with utility location markings. Anyone know whether it means they will be doing utility work? Last month the Parks department painted white marks indicating they are going to plant a tree. Maybe it’s related to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: