Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 12:10 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
Rent in Queens is pretty much consistent across the board. A 1 bedroom is Astoria is around $1700 and so is a 1 bedroom in Forest Hills which I think is funny because Forest Hills has the longer commute. If your commute is longer, the rent should be less.

Everything is such a scam and overpriced these days.
Price and commute has some relation but its not the end all.

Also FH has LIRR which can get to midtown far faster than Astoria. Also FH has 3 major highways (Van Wyck, LIE, GCP) reasonably close by which appeals to people who own cars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
there's nothing particularly "trendy" about Rego Park, Elmhurst, JH, or even Forest Hills... I think Astoria is the only option that I would consider trendy.
trendy? Forget Queens...move to BK if trendy is important.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
As an update, I looked at some 1-bedrooms in the $1600-1700 range in Astoria. All were older, unrenovated apartments in walk-up buildings (multi-family homes or just smaller buildings with no more than 8 units). A couple places did fit my requirements in terms of size, noise, and subway access. I seriously considered one apartment in the Ditmars area that was on the 4th floor (top floor) with great views and a 5 minute walk to the subway. A few other places were just too far away for me with a 10-15 minute walk to the subway or seemed like it would have some elevated train noise (the NQ subway or the Amtrak train that runs through a part of Astoria).

Just to compare, most of the Jackson Heights/Elmhurst/Rego Park places that I viewed were in much larger apartment buildings. Some had elevators and laundry and all were less than a 10 minute walk from the subway. Some had newer appliances.

Sizes of all the apartments I viewed everywhere were in the 450-600 square foot range.

After all that, I'm going with a 1-bedroom in Sunnyside for less than $1500. One of the brokers I worked with early on contacted me with this listing. Older place, about 500 square feet, less than a 5 minute walk to the subway, private landlord, rent-stabilized. I'm not familiar with Sunnyside but it seems on the quiet side with decent amenities. Off the 7 train line which is not ideal, but there are a couple of bus lines that run along Queens Blvd and into Manhattan for alternative transportation.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post

After all that, I'm going with a 1-bedroom in Sunnyside for less than $1500. One of the brokers I worked with early on contacted me with this listing. Older place, about 500 square feet, less than a 5 minute walk to the subway, private landlord, rent-stabilized. I'm not familiar with Sunnyside but it seems on the quiet side with decent amenities. Off the 7 train line which is not ideal, but there are a couple of bus lines that run along Queens Blvd and into Manhattan for alternative transportation.
you can walk to midtown manhattan....about an hour walk

Old 07-25-2016, 11:03 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Congrats. Sunnyside is a nice neighborhood.

Old 07-25-2016, 03:28 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
As an update, I looked at some 1-bedrooms in the $1600-1700 range in Astoria. All were older, unrenovated apartments in walk-up buildings (multi-family homes or just smaller buildings with no more than 8 units). A couple places did fit my requirements in terms of size, noise, and subway access. I seriously considered one apartment in the Ditmars area that was on the 4th floor (top floor) with great views and a 5 minute walk to the subway. A few other places were just too far away for me with a 10-15 minute walk to the subway or seemed like it would have some elevated train noise (the NQ subway or the Amtrak train that runs through a part of Astoria).

Just to compare, most of the Jackson Heights/Elmhurst/Rego Park places that I viewed were in much larger apartment buildings. Some had elevators and laundry and all were less than a 10 minute walk from the subway. Some had newer appliances.

Sizes of all the apartments I viewed everywhere were in the 450-600 square foot range.

The 7 train that close to Manhattan is pretty good still

Old 07-27-2016, 07:19 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiep83 View Post
there's nothing particularly "trendy" about Rego Park, Elmhurst, JH, or even Forest Hills... I think Astoria is the only option that I would consider trendy.

And who doesn't want to live close to subway access? I don't think that makes someone picky...
What makes Astoria trendy? Typical Queens residential neighborhood. Some parts have a lousy commute. It has a few restaurants and bars but nothing radically impressive, IMHO.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 PM

769 posts, read 1,015,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
What makes Astoria trendy?

millennials, craft beer, brick oven pizza, yoga gyms, organic food markets, specialty food carts, microbreweries, cheese shops, concept bars and restaurants.

Astoria has more of the aforementioned places than any other neighborhood in Queens. It's the closest thing to Williamsburg or Greenpoint in Queens, although LIC is catching up quickly.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ughhnyc View Post
Astoria has more of the aforementioned places than any other neighborhood in Queens. It's the closest thing to Williamsburg or Greenpoint in Queens, although LIC is catching up quickly.
LIC already caught up....esp by the water. I seem to be reeled in going there more & more

Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 PM

256 posts, read 311,644 times
In JH Historic District you'll find bigger apartments, but prices went up, probably over $1800 for 1-BR, I see many are $1950.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: