Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 09:01 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times

Advertisements

I am currently apartment hunting for a studio or 1-bedroom in Queens. I have been looking at Jackson Heights, Elmhurst and Rego Park since I heard these areas have much lower rents compared to places like Astoria and Forest Hills. However, a couple of brokers told me that they've seen strong demand over the past couple of years and the gap has narrowed. Do people here find this to be true? I did view a few apartments and was surprised at the asking rents. $1500-$1700 for studios, $1700+ for small, older 1-brs.

Maybe there isn't as much value as I thought and I should start looking at places in western Queens for a trendier neighborhood and a better commute? I see some Astoria listings in the same price range but they seem far away from the subway. My main priority is proximity to the subway. Also not too noisy, not too small. Old is okay but reasonably well-maintained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 09:22 AM

555 posts, read 617,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
I am currently apartment hunting for a studio or 1-bedroom in Queens. I have been looking at Jackson Heights, Elmhurst and Rego Park since I heard these areas have much lower rents compared to places like Astoria and Forest Hills. However, a couple of brokers told me that they've seen strong demand over the past couple of years and the gap has narrowed. Do people here find this to be true? I did view a few apartments and was surprised at the asking rents. $1500-$1700 for studios, $1700+ for small, older 1-brs.

Maybe there isn't as much value as I thought and I should start looking at places in western Queens for a trendier neighborhood and a better commute? I see some Astoria listings in the same price range but they seem far away from the subway. My main priority is proximity to the subway. Also not too noisy, not too small. Old is okay but reasonably well-maintained.
there isn't much difference, Elmhurst and Rego Park are probably a bit cheaper than Jackson Heights. But not by much.

Jackson Heights is probably just as expensive if not more in certain cases than Astoria or Forest Hills.

All in all, prices aren't much different though in any of those areas if you compare similar apts.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:01 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,775,302 times
To anyone who will try to answer your questions on this forum , If you havent actively looked for an apt in the last 5yrs PLEASE DONT RESPOND and give false hope to the OP. Yes pricing has changed significantly in the last 3yrs alone, rego park at the moment has some great deals left.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:24 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
What about Corona?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:26 PM

243 posts, read 310,180 times
Rent in Queens is pretty much consistent across the board. A 1 bedroom is Astoria is around $1700 and so is a 1 bedroom in Forest Hills which I think is funny because Forest Hills has the longer commute. If your commute is longer, the rent should be less.

Everything is such a scam and overpriced these days.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 PM

306 posts, read 283,675 times
Jamaica Queens could of be perfect for you when it comes to price , also there are nice neighborhoods , 1 bedroom is between $1100 and $1300 with good amount of spaces but the commute can be far , unless you live near the long island railroad train which is fast and within 20 minutes you are in Manhattan

Old 07-18-2016, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone. Rents have really risen over the past few years. I knew one couple who had a good-sized 1-br in Rego Park and were paying around $1300. Another couple who found a nice 2-br in Jackson Heights for $1450. But this was probably 5 years ago when they moved. It seems like the floor nowadays for these areas is in the $1500 range and the places I've seen so far are not that great. I will explore the historically more expensive areas like Astoria and Forest Hills to see what I can get for my money.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaMatthews View Post
Rent in Queens is pretty much consistent across the board. A 1 bedroom is Astoria is around $1700 and so is a 1 bedroom in Forest Hills which I think is funny because Forest Hills has the longer commute. If your commute is longer, the rent should be less.

Everything is such a scam and overpriced these days.
I spend a decent amount of time in Forest Hills and it feels more upscale relative to Astoria. Schools are supposed to be pretty good too. Prices are not just about the commute. Transit options are pretty plentiful anyway for Forest Hills.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Why those neighborhoods in particular? They're prolly some of the most expensive neighborhoods in Queens to rent. If you can afford it then thats great, but then why start the thread asking about price, if price is not an issue?

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-18-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Why those neighborhoods in particular? They're prolly some of the most expensive neighborhoods in Queens to rent. If you can afford it then thats great, but then why start the thread asking about price, if price is not an issue?
But are they really considered expensive anymore if other neighborhoods have seen dramatic price increases in recent years? the responses here are supporting what brokers have told me...that the gap has closed. Why shouldn't I look at similarly-priced places in "expensive" Astoria and forest hills? Maybe these places are crap relative to what I can get elsewhere but I won't know unless I look.

I never said I could only afford a certain amount by the way. Just that I was hoping for better value in some neighborhoods.

Not interested in traveling as far out as corona and Jamaica (though thanks everyone for those suggestions).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: