Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:08 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yeah but there's an obvious pattern of which neighborhoods gentrify. There's a reason Tottenville, Staten Island is being flooded with yuppies.

I don't think they're ghetto, but they definitely have an outskirty feel

I think the South Bronx (up to 160th st or so) will get more whites living there (not families, though), but it won't turn into Williamsburg any time soon.

I'm not sure how working class blacks and Latinos are going to be able to afford the South Bronx though, the market rate rents at least.

I have to imagine all the market rate apartments in Mott Haven are mainly occupied by Dominicans, Mexicans, and bohemian whites, in that order. I'm not sure how much longer they'll be able to afford it. Most of the blacks and Puerto Ricans there are living in subsidized housing most likely.

and the bolded is hilarious
Though as you get more whites in these neighborhoods, you eventually do get more families. I've seen white families in Harlem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 06:18 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
Families are NOT a plus. of ANY race. in ANY neighborhood.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:25 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Will Bed Stuy and Bushwick have the same fate?
Perhaps Bushwick before Bed Stuy. While some hipsters and yuppies are moving into Bed Stuy, the total influx of such folks coming into the area won't be on the same level as Williamsburg, if only due to the fact that much of Bed Stuy is a historic district(s), meaning developers can't do to Bed Stuy what they did to Williamsburg. At least not on the same scale. Moreover, there seems to be quite a few landowners (and Bed Stuy still seems to have an overwhelming black home ownership base) who are determined not to go anywhere, which will make transformation slower if not impossible (talking about on the level of Williamsburg, here). All in all, I can't say that this is a bad thing.

Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Families are NOT a plus. of ANY race. in ANY neighborhood.
Thanks for that nugget of wisdom.

Old 08-01-2016, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Perhaps Bushwick before Bed Stuy. While some hipsters and yuppies are moving into Bed Stuy, the total influx of such folks coming into the area won't be on the same level as Williamsburg, if only due to the fact that much of Bed Stuy is a historic district(s), meaning developers can't do to Bed Stuy what they did to Williamsburg. At least not on the same scale. Moreover, there seems to be quite a few landowners (and Bed Stuy still seems to have an overwhelming black home ownership base) who are determined not to go anywhere, which will make transformation slower if not impossible (talking about on the level of Williamsburg, here). All in all, I can't say that this is a bad thing.
They developers were able to build on empty lots and do gut renovations on empty buildings. They also bought out Section 8 residents. However one thing that would keep large numbers of Black people in the neighborhood is in addition to the Black homeowners, there are a lot of NYCHA facilities in Bedstuy.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:00 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Bed stuy will never be Williamsburg just based on housing stock, it's mostly 2-3family homes brownstones and brick homes. Bed stuy ownership is mostly black elderly people who bought the homes decades ago, they won't sell but it won't take long for relatives to when people are offering 2 million dollars after the homeowner passes away.

I picture bed stuy as an extension of what park slope/Clinton hills has become. The same type of gentrifiers. It's not the hipster/ mid west rich college type that gravitates to Williamsburg. It's potentially long term residents that plan to stay a while and have a family more mature folks. At least that's what I've been noticing. Bushwick is more hipster due to close proximity to Williamsburg. As downtown Brooklyn changes which is 2 stops away on the express A train, bed stuy will become even more desirable to people. A/C/F trains will have new trains, and the L will be out of service for 18 months.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheyenne2134 View Post
Bed stuy will never be Williamsburg just based on housing stock, it's mostly 2-3family homes brownstones and brick homes. Bed stuy ownership is mostly black elderly people who bought the homes decades ago, they won't sell but it won't take long for relatives to when people are offering 2 million dollars after the homeowner passes away.

I picture bed stuy as an extension of what park slope/Clinton hills has become. The same type of gentrifiers. It's not the hipster/ mid west rich college type that gravitates to Williamsburg. It's potentially long term residents that plan to stay a while and have a family more mature folks. At least that's what I've been noticing. Bushwick is more hipster due to close proximity to Williamsburg. As downtown Brooklyn changes which is 2 stops away on the express A train, bed stuy will become even more desirable to people. A/C/F trains will have new trains, and the L will be out of service for 18 months.
You don't have hipsters in Williamsburg. Williamsburg is more expensive than much of Manhattan. The people who can afford that are professionals established in their careers.

The hipsters rent out places in Bedstuy and Bushwick, to the extent they can still afford those neighborhoods.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,148,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You don't have hipsters in Williamsburg. Williamsburg is more expensive than much of Manhattan. The people who can afford that are professionals established in their careers.

The hipsters rent out places in Bedstuy and Bushwick, to the extent they can still afford those neighborhoods.
hipsters RENT not buy, which is my point. hipsters founded williamsburg, didnt buy and got priced out and has moved on to bushwick/bed stuy and now the TRUE hipsters already moved on to cypress hills or south bronx. Williamsburg/bushwick has a much younger vibe compared to the gentrification that is happening in bed Stuy, like i said its trending more like fort greene/clinton hills. Families (white and other minorities) are buying into bed-stuy. its a different atmosphere from bush wick, which has become more hip. You also have the bed-stuy community board being VERY prominent in businesses such as bars in the area, it was in the news that didn't want a Neo-rock (some say nazi) bar in the area. That same bar would be welcomed in Bushwick and Williamsburg without a second glance. Bed-stuy isn't the typical hipster area, they are trying however but the black ownership is dominant and people are well aware of the value of their homes now. Maybe some of the new large developments will make a difference but i doubt it.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:19 AM

491 posts, read 375,765 times
williamsburg is more about trust fund kids nowadays dressed like hipsters. you can't really tell the difference. they all look and act the same. there are plenty of 25-35 year olds in williamsburg who own or rent apts, because their parents pay for it. some of the renters of past 10 years moved to greenpoint and bed stuy. alot actually move back to their home states. and another bunch actually grow up, get married and move to raise kids in a house in LI or NJ. there are quite a few former hipsters now living in englewood and teaneck, nj. vast majority of young people who move to NYC do not stay here more than 10 years. you almost never see that old dude at a bar on bedford. it's a constant recycling of souls.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 08-01-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-01-2016, 09:34 AM

491 posts, read 375,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Anyone from the Bronx would know the D train is UNDER Grand Concourse for most of it's length. And the 4 is just a few BLOCKS away.

Many of the buildings on the Concourse as a whole are not that beautiful. Go a few blocks away from the Yankee stadium area and it gets pretty rough.

And of course grand concourse is not in a cut or anything like that, so there's no reason for bridges over the Bronx.
the B train stops after rushhour. the D and 4 are express lines only and and the 4 only has 3 full time stops across 40 blocks. it behooves the city to build an above ground light rail to increase local mobility. the grand concourse needs archway bridges or underpasses at minimum at major intersections. there are too many pedestrian accidents and it would also serve to increase commerce both sides of the avenue. crossing the grand concourse via stoplights is a b*tch and takes way too long.

you obviously have no concept of architecture, and blind. the buildings up the grand concourse have received landmark status. going even more north has some the best 1920's art deco architecture in the country. they are in need of restoration, but this will happen as billions of foreign investment and local govt subsidy are pouring into the bronx.

Last edited by HarryHaller73; 08-01-2016 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City