Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 03:09 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,563 times

Advertisements

So everybody hates the proverbial hipster from midwestern states like Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota (among many other) NYers are coastal elites and the idea of people from middle america that bring their middle america ways is terrifying.

However, there are transplants from other metropolitan enclaves on the west coast and cities in the northeast from DC all the way up to Boston.

Why are these hipsters off the hook? Are they not as annoying or maladjusted to the anti-gentrifier as Susan that grew up eating cow and cheese curds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 03:28 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,145,575 times
Who is this "everybody" who hates people from the Midwest? I don't hate Midwesterners, nor hipsters. Anyone can be a New Yorker.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Most transplants aren't from suburban middle America, that's a myth

Most people in real life don't seem to hate transplants, but they keyboars activists talk about them all the time

Old 12-11-2017, 04:32 PM

34,098 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
So everybody hates the proverbial hipster from midwestern states like Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota (among many other) NYers are coastal elites and the idea of people from middle america that bring their middle america ways is terrifying.

However, there are transplants from other metropolitan enclaves on the west coast and cities in the northeast from DC all the way up to Boston.

Why are these hipsters off the hook? Are they not as annoying or maladjusted to the anti-gentrifier as Susan that grew up eating cow and cheese curds?
Short answer is that they're coming from other major cities. Not a suburban or rural setting, so people with similar backgrounds tend to relate to one another better.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Short answer is that they're coming from other major cities. Not a suburban or rural setting, so people with similar backgrounds tend to relate to one another better.
People from metropolitan enclaves on the West Coast or the East Coast are mostly from the suburbs. The OP is asking why aren't people hating on people moving in from Jersey, CT, Oregon, Washington, California, Pennsylvania, Virginia or Florida. These people move to NYC in big numbers.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:38 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Most transplants aren't from suburban middle America, that's a myth

Most people in real life don't seem to hate transplants, but they keyboars activists talk about them all the time
The keyboard activists who rant on and use the term transplants the most are first generation Americans, so it's not like they have any real claim to NYC. You don't have that mentality, and I know you're a very open minded person.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
People from metropolitan enclaves on the West Coast or the East Coast are mostly from the suburbs. The OP is asking why aren't people hating on people moving in from Jersey, CT, Oregon, Washington, California, Pennsylvania, Virginia or Florida. These people move to NYC in big numbers.
I was specifically responding to:
Quote:

Old 12-11-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The keyboard activists who rant on and use the term transplants the most are first generation Americans, so it's not like they have any real claim to NYC. You don't have that mentality, and I know you're a very open minded person.
Everybody just does what's convenient for them. So now it's ok for a transplant to call themselves a New Yorker, but I've lived here forever and it's a crime to call myself a native. Whatever.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:47 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,470,727 times
Quote:

Susan eats cows? Like, not even steak, but an entire live cow? Or even an entire dead cow, just uncooked and with all its hide. Susan's got talent.

Cheese curds are the bomb, btw.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:10 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,084,509 times
Quote:

I only hate people from the South. Midwesterners are sort of ok by me. I think I'm a transplant though so that might have something to do with it. It's been so long I can't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City