Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 06:55 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasie123 View Post
And why do you hate people from the South?
Not all people from the South. Mostly just white people from the South. I don’t like what the South stands for.
Election tomorrow in Alabama is a good example. people like Roy Moore. He is a typical Southerner in my mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2017, 07:11 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,642,159 times
I am fine with Florida transplants . Florida is just a strange place with unfriendly weird ppl and so many transients. That state is insane so I will not be hostile if you are from Florida.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:00 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Not all people from the South. Mostly just white people from the South. I don’t like what the South stands for.
Election tomorrow in Alabama is a good example. people like Roy Moore. He is a typical Southerner in my mind.
The transplants from the South are not the kind of people who like Roy Moore

Old 12-11-2017, 10:10 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwesterns45 View Post
So everybody hates the proverbial hipster from midwestern states like Ohio, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota (among many other) NYers are coastal elites and the idea of people from middle america that bring their middle america ways is terrifying.

However, there are transplants from other metropolitan enclaves on the west coast and cities in the northeast from DC all the way up to Boston.

Why are these hipsters off the hook? Are they not as annoying or maladjusted to the anti-gentrifier as Susan that grew up eating cow and cheese curds?
You do realize that "transplant" is just a euphemism for things that native NYC'ers find unNYC. That's all it is. Don't read too much into it.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
You do realize that "transplant" is just a euphemism for things that native NYC'ers find unNYC. That's all it is. Don't read too much into it.
It's more like codeword for white

Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
The keyboard activists who rant on and use the term transplants the most are first generation Americans, so it's not like they have any real claim to NYC. You don't have that mentality, and I know you're a very open minded person.
True, are their parents from Jamaica or DR not real New Yorkers to them?

Old 12-11-2017, 10:21 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,358,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
It's more like codeword for white
That's true too but I feel like "gentrification" has surpassed transplant as a code word for white.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:31 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
The transplants from the South are not the kind of people who like Roy Moore
Agreed. Roy Moore and people who like him are a big reason many of these transplants leave those places and come to NYC.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:44 PM

666 posts, read 513,151 times
This thread is like that zen koan. If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound? Similarly, if transplants who don't understand what New Yorkers mean by transplants extrapolate on the subject, does it matter what they think?

BTW, sensitivity about the term, "transplant," is a key sign of being a transplant. Honorary New Yorkers (people who've lived and integrated into the NYC way of life to the point where they even know and understand the city more than natives) aren't bothered by the term. That's because part of being a New Yorker (honorary or native born) is toughening up and not being a snowflake. Besides that, Honorary New Yorkers integrate so well into NYC that no one ever calls them that term, since everyone assumes that they're from here.

Lastly, the hatred of "Midwestern" transplants started as a meme on various community blogs and news sites (Curbed, Gothamist, etc.) to show disdain for the hipsterfication of Williamsburg. People would make cracks about how everyone moving in was from either from Ohio and Kansas. But of course, being New Yorkers, you all already knew that.

Last edited by EastFlatbush; 12-11-2017 at 10:57 PM..

Old 12-11-2017, 11:06 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Homelessness is rare in the South. NYC has many 30% of the nation's homeless families, and a huge percentage of the Black population is living in the housing projects/on welfare indefinitely or incarcerated. So please tell me how Northern cities like NYC are even better when NYC is more segregated than the South and this includes k-12 education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City