Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is he guilty?
No 47 48.45%
Yes 50 51.55%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 01:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Sorry that just isn't true.

Just a week or so ago a young woman was passed out in the East Village. Some idiot thought he'd take advantage, but he was seen and warned off. Queens man arrested for attempted rape of passed-out 21-year-old - NY Daily News

A year or so ago was coming home late and came upon a young girl passed out cold in a doorway building. Her purse was open with contents (keys, credit cards, money, phone...) scattered about. In one of my more generous impulses woke the chick up and asked where she lived. Turned out the building she was passed out in front of was where she lived. Got her up, inside the lobby and once she reached the elevator shut the lobby door hard behind me. Later when got to the corner spied a couple of NYPD and told them what just went down. They said would walk up that way and check to make sure things are ok.

Have seen guys and or girls come to the aid of a female who was clearly drunk and some Bro was trying to get her into a cab (with him). Guy was about six foot and built like a footballer; however a barely five foot female told him if he didn't back off she was going to beat him down with her shoe (high heels). Guy left "empty handed".

Not everyone is a perv or too wound up in themselves not to do the right thing. People have daughters, sisters, girlfriends, or just out of common decency.
You gave good luck examples. Which is not always the case, if I bump into a woman in similar situation I'd help but not everyone in NYC are good citizens. If NYC is so safe, we wouldn't need so many cops around.

You roll the dice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 01:45 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
Yes, that's what I am saying. Why did she have to go alone? Why was she not afraid, everybody would be afraid. I think she met the killer! And... she got killed not far from where she lives. It could have happened at 5:15 pm.
I think it's because it wasn't a strange place for her since she jogged there daily with her dad. Familiarity breeds comfort. Course she wasn't there that day with her dad but probably thought she's a big girl now and can handle herself. I don't know. Sometimes you feel that things are a bit desolate and not safe but plod through anyway thinking it's just a quick run and I'll be back home in a jiff. It's sad and tragic all the way around.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:52 PM

429 posts, read 390,873 times
..."we wouldn't need so many cops around." When are they around? Where....They come AFTER the fact. For a woman, who goes out alone all the time, the best thing to do if you don't have a gun permit is to learn some kind of self defense. I mean seriously learn, not play around with. Get some kind of a belt level. And be aware of danger; everyone knows about those marshes in HB. Even people who don't live there but in other NYC boroughs. IT was a bad decision to go running there after the father told her not to. I"m sure she knew about those marshes.BAD decision.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:55 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,486,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post
..."we wouldn't need so many cops around." When are they around? Where....They come AFTER the fact. For a woman, who goes out alone all the time, the best thing to do if you don't have a gun permit is to learn some kind of self defense. I mean seriously learn, not play around with. Get some kind of a belt level. And be aware of danger; everyone knows about those marshes in HB. Even people who don't live there but in other NYC boroughs. IT was a bad decision to go running there after the father told her not to. I"m sure she knew about those marshes.BAD decision.
Or buy some mace

Old 08-11-2016, 01:57 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,769,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
while this is a terrible thing to have of happened.
I dont understand, and I am the father of three boys, well young men now.
But I know if I had a daughter i absolutley would under no circumstances would allow her to be out alone in a desolate area if I could help it. We know the father said dont go, but he really should have really insisted no, you cant do this, please jog somewhere else.
i know easier said than done, she was 30.....im sure has ran this park a ka zillion times.....but

why is it we have been hearing about the alone girl jogging, hasnt anyone learned about the central park jogger???????????

jesus christ, when will these girls learn, fraking stay home and mop a floor or something, jog around the block a few times, but do they have to go to these desolate places????????????????????????

its a shame, its a dam shame that you cant even enjoy nature alone, that you have to be worried about something as horrible as this happening to your child.

im sick over it.
I wouldn't even jog in a desolate area with a single guy. What can he do if we're jumped by a gang. I love parks but avoid desolate areas if it's just me and one single person. I'll only go if there's a group of us and even then...nope, don't like desolate, creepy places at all. I've watched too many shows on Investigation Discovery.

Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
I saw this comment on the story in People magazine. Whoever wrote it thinks it's mob related. It may not be true but it's an angle that is probably being investigated.

Quote:
Guest Plumeria
3 days ago
Someone said the father had been threatened and decided not to run. He claimed he was hurt and tried to talk her out of it. So he did not run, she did not take his warning to not run. The police "chief" the father called is also being investigated. Why did the father not go look for her alone why did he wait until police was with him. The father knows more than he is letting on. They have a whole team at the precinct. looking into this. The father is connected has a $3 million dollar home on a firefighter salary and a window business that doesn't do any contracts. The reason the mother spoke like that is because she is used to getting her way. That tirade is not a one off, you can tell she often speaks like that, notice the presence of mind to remove her glasses before a foul language laced tirade.
I always thought they left the women out of it and it was about men settling beefs. Her face was beaten to a pulp, body already released and cremated after funeral, not buried. An earlier poster as well as several detectives also wonder how the body was released so quickly. It is customary to hold some older people bodies for 10-11 days before releasing to the family. Something is not right. The are going to frame some poor person from the Crittersville or pick up a black dude and pin the whole thing on him and he will die mysteriously in custody.
Then the father will settle this score or himself get settled.
http://www.people.com/article/karina...ughters-killer

Old 08-11-2016, 03:44 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaletto 1697 View Post

Nine times out of ten when something happens to a female in NYC these days it is a crime of opportunity. That is some female is in the wrong place, at the wrong time and under the wrong conditions.

Both sexes today walk around the City totally distracted by being plugged into various technology. That breaks NYC street law number one: beware of your surroundings at all times.

Next these young females today have been brought up in this so called "equality" era when they firmly believe in going out and drinking like the guys. So they get drunk, stumble out of a bar or club, then either walk home (often in high heels and skirts so short the world is their GYN), or pour themselves into a taxi/Uber car. This breaks NYC law number two: don't put yourself into situations you cannot handle. Worse some females combine breaking laws one and two; so now they are drunk, stumbling down the street *and* distracted by their phones or whatever..... Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I could go on.... females living in ground floor apartments or those that face the back sleeping with their windows wide open at night. And so it goes.

In a perfect world none of this should matter, but we aren't in that place. You have plenty of losers out there just looking to make a move. Especially many of these recent arrivals and or those brought up in the "old ways" of their country that any woman out in public or whatever is fair game.

Personally think at some point if a few females started pulling out a Glock and blowing some of these idiots away, then things might change.

Old 08-11-2016, 03:48 PM

429 posts, read 390,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Nine times out of ten when something happens to a female in NYC these days it is a crime of opportunity. That is some female is in the wrong place, at the wrong time and under the wrong conditions.

Both sexes today walk around the City totally distracted by being plugged into various technology. That breaks NYC street law number one: beware of your surroundings at all times.

Next these young females today have been brought up in this so called "equality" era when they firmly believe in going out and drinking like the guys. So they get drunk, stumble out of a bar or club, then either walk home (often in high heels and skirts so short the world is their GYN), or pour themselves into a taxi/Uber car. This breaks NYC law number two: don't put yourself into situations you cannot handle. Worse some females combine breaking laws one and two; so now they are drunk, stumbling down the street *and* distracted by their phones or whatever..... Dumb, dumb, dumb!

I could go on.... females living in ground floor apartments or those that face the back sleeping with their windows wide open at night. And so it goes.

In a perfect world none of this should matter, but we aren't in that place. You have plenty of losers out there just looking to make a move. Especially many of these recent arrivals and or those brought up in the "old ways" of their country that any woman out in public or whatever is fair game.

Personally think at some point if a few females started pulling out a Glock and blowing some of these idiots away, then things might change.
Well said.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,337,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I saw this comment on the story in People magazine. Whoever wrote it thinks it's mob related. It may not be true but it's an angle that is probably being investigated.

Karina Vetrano's Mom Speaks Out About Her Death, Lashes Out at Killer: Video : People.com
I could not agree more with this.
A 3 million dollar house?
And approached a "fund raising committee" to raise publicly $ 200,000.
Some Story.
Yes, they will pin it on some poor, innocent guy, and pocket the money.
So much does not add up.

Her face was all beaten up? Was she even recognizable, anymore?????
Why such a hasty burial, no, cremation, to exclude any further DNA or any investigation?

Old 08-11-2016, 04:18 PM

19,049 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Or buy some mace
...or demand NY state respect your 2nd Amendment rights and get yourself a gun once we vote out the politicians we have who are too afraid of an armed populace stopping their corrupt ways.

Get yourself a firearm, a proper holster for it (or two or three to cover various situations, manner of dress, etc), and then train, train, train until you are reasonably proficient with said weapon. If the liberals don't like it, tough pituties. This is the United States of America where every citizen is born with the inherent right to firearms ownership and bearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City