Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 11:00 PM

83 posts, read 71,176 times

Advertisements

Considering how large and important the city is and how much wealth is concentrated in Manhattan most of the areas seem quite dirty, infrastructure is outdated, sidewalks are uneven and filled with gum, crosswalks can barely be seen in many places etc. Even in the wealthy areas these problems exist. London looks well maintained and posh in wealthy areas for example, and infrastructure like roads etc is great. Where do all tax dollars get wasted? Many times I see a few great buildings but everything around them would make me question if I was even in the first world country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 02:27 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
The reason Manhattan is filthy mess is because it is infested with homeless people, bums, degenerates, poor people, immigrants and all other low lives who do not care about the city's cleanliness. Most of the people who live in NYC are slobs. You would never see this sort of blatant disregard for cleanliness in most European countries. People there have a sense or pride and responsibility. Not these animals here. I've seen kids and grown adults just throw their litter as they please. They don't care. And who is to clean up after them? Sanitation workers barely pick up the trash. It's up to the shop keeps to clean up in front of their stores but its a loosing battle.

The infrastructure will always be in disarray because of the unions that build and maintain it. They will see to it that it is never 100% functional because there will be no work for them. The people in the MTA that make the decisions to update the stations infrastructure are at fault for the subway's disarray because they always hire the lowest bidder, who in turn do the shoddiest work. Just look at France's subway system. It is a night and day experience.

And to answer your question about where do all the tax dollars get wasted, well that is a long list that I don't have enough time to answer.

Old 08-09-2016, 05:18 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,762,371 times
Slobs across the board, it's not just lower socioeconomic status folks. I grew up in Throggs Neck and can't tell you how often I'd be behind a car that tossed their garbage out the window.

Old 08-09-2016, 06:02 AM

1,253 posts, read 1,563,890 times
If you don't like leave.... and pH*k Europe it's not perfect over there either. If you want a clean sterilized US city move to Boston or Washington, DC. If you want to be where it all happens at shut up and stay in NYC or move to the suburbs.

Last edited by Yeadon718; 08-09-2016 at 06:11 AM..

Old 08-09-2016, 06:44 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,575,276 times
Liberal policies.

Guiliani began the cleanup process of this city and by the end of Bloomberg's term, there was a big difference in the way this city looked. Diblasio came in to office and set this city back 20yrs!

Old 08-09-2016, 06:52 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,130,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Liberal policies.

Guiliani began the cleanup process of this city and by the end of Bloomberg's term, there was a big difference in the way this city looked. Diblasio came in to office and set this city back 20yrs!
I agree 100%. Many places are hard to look at. Times Square esp along 8th avenue looks particularly run down and dirty, Way more then I can recall in years. While there are areas that are quiet and clean much of the city is not now. There might as well be a mannequin in the mayors chair. That big doofus has no leadership ability. None.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:21 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
The reason Manhattan is filthy mess is because it is infested with homeless people, bums, degenerates, poor people, immigrants and all other low lives who do not care about the city's cleanliness. Most of the people who live in NYC are slobs. You would never see this sort of blatant disregard for cleanliness in most European countries. People there have a sense or pride and responsibility. Not these animals here. I've seen kids and grown adults just throw their litter as they please. They don't care. And who is to clean up after them? Sanitation workers barely pick up the trash. It's up to the shop keeps to clean up in front of their stores but its a loosing battle.

The infrastructure will always be in disarray because of the unions that build and maintain it. They will see to it that it is never 100% functional because there will be no work for them. The people in the MTA that make the decisions to update the stations infrastructure are at fault for the subway's disarray because they always hire the lowest bidder, who in turn do the shoddiest work. Just look at France's subway system. It is a night and day experience.

And to answer your question about where do all the tax dollars get wasted, well that is a long list that I don't have enough time to answer.
Immigrants are low-lives?

Old 08-09-2016, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Liberal policies.

Lmao, nyc has always been smelly and dirty going way back. It's cleaned up a little over the years (cleaned up quite a bit in my lifetime but still dirty and smelly especially in the summer) but let's not kid ourselves.

Old 08-09-2016, 07:23 AM

6,685 posts, read 6,029,446 times
I have always lived in Manhattan, and remember the first time I left this country and went to Australia, I wondered how people can maintain it so clean. It was such a stark difference. When I returned, people asked me, "So how was it?" And I'd answered, "clean!"

Old 08-09-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
I have always lived in Manhattan, and remember the first time I left this country and went to Australia, I wondered how people can maintain it so clean. It was such a stark difference. When I returned, people asked me, "So how was it?" And I'd answered, "clean!"
The biggest city in Australia, Sydney, has about 4 million people. NYC has double that in a more cramped space. Manhattan alone has about 4 million people on an average day due to commuters, tourists etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City