Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 05:11 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

Yes, unfortunately, you are asking too much.

Here are some things for you to think about.

1. I'm guessing that you're from another country, and it would be to your benefit to have a roommate.

2. Your idea of $1000 isn't enough, but besides that, most people will not want to rent to a 19 year-old student.

3. Your best solution would be to contact your school and ask if they have dormitory options. If they do not, then ask if they have a Housing Department or a Dean of Housing, where they can help you with suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 05:52 PM

546 posts, read 764,352 times
Jersey City,NJ. its only 10min away from manhattan

Old 09-12-2016, 06:53 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post

1. I'm guessing that you're from another country, and it would be to your benefit to have a roommate.

2. Your idea of $1000 isn't enough, but besides that, most people will not want to rent to a 19 year-old student.
I agree that for someone from another country especially, it's not a bad idea, at age 19, to have a roommate.

True also that many landlords will not want to rent to a 19 year old student.

An exception to that may be if you are from another country, and rent a small apartment in the home of someone from your country, perhaps in a neighborhood populated by your countrymen.

Old 09-12-2016, 07:56 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
That's the biggest thing. Even if the OP had the means and could find a place for that much, she wouldn't be given an apartment. Roommates are the way to go here.

Old 09-13-2016, 07:40 AM

18 posts, read 24,606 times
You are tripping if you are looking for that. Maybe you will find something in Staten Island. If you want something in Manhattan you will need a roommate. There is a price to live in New York. Start by looking in Craigslist for rooms to rent because you will not find a decent apartment or an apartment for $1000.

Old 09-13-2016, 10:23 AM

7 posts, read 5,310 times
after reading few more blogs and forums about NYC, I've learnt that cheap and NYC seriously sounds pretty funny. I will try to find some place in Jersey City.

Are there any areas that you guys would suggest?

Also, I might have a roommate and stay near the Inwood area. If thats possible though.

im sorry for the stupid question i asked before, I have pretty much just been to Nyc for twice

Old 09-13-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:

3. Your best solution would be to contact your school and ask if they have dormitory options. If they do not, then ask if they have a Housing Department or a Dean of Housing, where they can help you with suggestions.
Sadly, dorms there are a lot more expensive than any apartment I might rent.. Ridiculously expensive for a small area..

My parents are not letting me to have a roommate, unless it's somebody that I can trust. There's no such thing in my country like having a roommate, but I'll see

thank you for suggesting ideas!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGal26 View Post
You are tripping if you are looking for that. Maybe you will find something in Staten Island. If you want something in Manhattan you will need a roommate. There is a price to live in New York. Start by looking in Craigslist for rooms to rent because you will not find a decent apartment or an apartment for $1000.
I think I might have a roommate and stay near Inwood area..

Thank you for your suggestion!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycnyc11209 View Post
Jersey City,NJ. its only 10min away from manhattan
thank you for your suggestion, will surely check that area!

Old 09-13-2016, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Like someone else said, maybe somewhere in Jersey City?

Crazy how much rents have gone up though, there were tons of 1000 dollar apartments just 3 years ago.
thank you for your suggestion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: