Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:02 PM

23 posts, read 29,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
I don't get why people are telling her brother to look into getting a trade. He will have to pay for trade school, how will he do that without a job???

What is the highest level of schooling that ur brother has completed? Tell him to go on the city jobs website Jobs Home | City of New York and submit his resume to the listing based on what type of education he has completed. The city has jobs up that you don't have to take a test and pay a fee for.

This city is so expensive, the Brooklyn Nets can't even afford to live in Brooklyn. Best of luck.

Thank you SeventhFloor, you are very helpful here and in the NYCHA threads, he was doing his associates in CC until he did not pay close attention to a hold on his account and was charged for the semester and now owes 2000 dollars . I will go the city jobs website to see what is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2016, 12:21 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,933,875 times
The coding thing has about 4 or 5 good years left. Not worth it IMO, to start at it now. Personally, if I was bi-lingual I would be working that angle as hard as possible. But... I've got to ask... do you own a car? I suspect you might. It's got to go. I know, I know... but it's got to go. And bro has got to find some way to hold up his end. I know its hard but that's when the tough get going. Lose the car, work the bi-lingual angle, get bro employed, even minimally, and you will be able to survive NYC. If you still decide to leave you can do it on your terms. $1300 is actually not that bad, I paid more before I left there and that was almost 10 years ago. I pay more than that now in Portland, OR and on just about what you make, but I don't own a car.

Old 10-18-2016, 12:32 PM

23 posts, read 29,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
The coding thing has about 4 or 5 good years left. Not worth it IMO, to start at it now. Personally, if I was bi-lingual I would be working that angle as hard as possible. But... I've got to ask... do you own a car? I suspect you might. It's got to go. I know, I know... but it's got to go. And bro has got to find some way to hold up his end. I know its hard but that's when the tough get going. Lose the car, work the bi-lingual angle, get bro employed, even minimally, and you will be able to survive NYC. If you still decide to leave you can do it on your terms. $1300 is actually not that bad, I paid more before I left there and that was almost 10 years ago. I pay more than that now in Portland, OR and on just about what you make, but I don't own a car.

Can you elaborate on the coding thing ? I actually don't own a car , I agree that I do need to get brother employed, after taxed I take home 2300, food, bills, transportation, it is hard.

Old 10-18-2016, 05:06 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desperatenycha View Post
Thank you SeventhFloor, you are very helpful here and in the NYCHA threads, he was doing his associates in CC until he did not pay close attention to a hold on his account and was charged for the semester and now owes 2000 dollars . I will go the city jobs website to see what is available.
It's tough....I prolly make the same amount now that my parents did back in 1982 combined, and they were able to buy a house back then. I was lucky enough to be able to buy a ML co-op. Hang in there mama. Check them city jobs out tho.

Or another side hustle you can do is learn how to fix people's cracked screens, Youtube has tutorials on how to do it. Just charge people like the mechanic = parts + labor.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-18-2016, 06:56 PM

181 posts, read 190,740 times
Quote:
I am intimidated about coding, is that something that you have done before, teaching yourself how to code? Is that an option for someone who is not good at math?

I have flirted with the idea of joining the National Guard and decided against it because I might be deployed and I cannot due to my mom.
I am in the process of teaching myself. And, no, you don't have to be good at math. You just need to have confidence in yourself and be willing to learn. I notice that they have several coding bootcamps in NYC, which also offers discounts for NYC residents.
This is where the hot job market is at. I read on multiple forums where people would study for 3 months or less and land 50k-60k jobs.

They have many free courses online where you can learn/teach yourself. Codecademy and Udemy are 2 good ones.

Google: Free coding classes NYC or Coding Bootcamps NYC

Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
Quote:
Can you elaborate on the coding thing ? I actually don't own a car , I agree that I do need to get brother employed, after taxed I take home 2300, food, bills, transportation, it is hard.
Forget the coding. To be able to get to the level where one gets an entry level job requires a good deal of time and commitment. Forget the hype. You would need to spend a lot of time making a portfolio of projects and technology keeps changing. A lot of people just freelance and get their own clients, but that ship has sailed where you can make a good living from that. That's so 5 years ago. The person who said that you don't have to be good at math is probably a beginner. Those NYC bootcamps are truly bootcamps so you can't work full time or have too many family commitments at the same time. Some are very selective (the ones that guarantee a job) and others are there just to make money. Using your bilingual skills is very good for civil service jobs.

Old 10-19-2016, 07:37 AM

431 posts, read 659,936 times
Don't move into a NYCHA building.

Old 10-19-2016, 08:46 AM

181 posts, read 190,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Forget the coding. To be able to get to the level where one gets an entry level job requires a good deal of time and commitment. Forget the hype. You would need to spend a lot of time making a portfolio of projects and technology keeps changing. A lot of people just freelance and get their own clients, but that ship has sailed where you can make a good living from that. That's so 5 years ago. The person who said that you don't have to be good at math is probably a beginner. Those NYC bootcamps are truly bootcamps so you can't work full time or have too many family commitments at the same time. Some are very selective (the ones that guarantee a job) and others are there just to make money. Using your bilingual skills is very good for civil service jobs.
Lol, coding is so 5 years ago which is why a new bootcamp pops up every often, right? It doesn't take as long as you think to "make a portfolio." I have friends who are in the field, some aren't even good at math and they are making a great amount of money. Some don't even have a college degree and are making more than those with a degree.

Sounds like you don't know what you're talking about. They also have part time classes at bootcamps as to where it wouldn't get in the way of a full time job. Why would coding be "so 5 years ago" if it's in high demand and the field is growing day by day? Tech is the hottest field right now.

Also the OP can read reviews from students who've attended the bootcamps. Alot of people work in offices and freelance as well. That's an option in this field. People land jobs after only 3 months of studying. This isn't a field where you have to study for years just to land an entry level job.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDT93 View Post
Lol, coding is so 5 years ago which is why a new bootcamp pops up every often, right? It doesn't take as long as you think to "make a portfolio." I have friends who are in the field, some aren't even good at math and they are making a great amount of money. Some don't even have a college degree and are making more than those with a degree.
There is a saying, "someone is going to win next weeks Lottery but it isn't going to be you". There is also one I like said by my people: "puss an dog nuh have de same luck". Coding is like that. 10 years ago it was a great choice but automation and the recession are combining to make it tough for new entries into the field to find good stable employment. In five or so years it will be getting close to the end of the gravy train. In 10 years the work will be entirely automated. If it didn't take money, time and energy that would be one thing. Anyone making $45K/yr. is already very good at something. No need to take on more debt.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
None of my business but the bolded is where I would be looking to cut my losses. Cable? I hope not. Cellphone? How many minutes? How many lines? Food? I eat pretty good I think, but I know people who pay twice what I pay for food. Again, I think your rent is pretty reasonable. I would be looking at every other area of expense, even transportation... walk/bike some trips... to keep the cash flow going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City