Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 02:24 PM

343 posts, read 254,557 times

Advertisements

What are your recommendations for place to rent a room in the Bronx. I am looking at areas near New York Botanical Garden, Van Cortlandt Park, and Bronx Zoo. Somewhere in that area. Obviously I would like to be near subway stops, preferably the green line or red line. I am not interested to live in any hipster areas.

My budget is around $700 per month for renting a room. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 02:42 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Look on Craigslist

Old 01-07-2017, 02:48 PM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times
Is there a hipster area in the Bronx?

Old 01-07-2017, 05:44 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
What are your recommendations for place to rent a room in the Bronx. I am looking at areas near New York Botanical Garden, Van Cortlandt Park, and Bronx Zoo. Somewhere in that area. Obviously I would like to be near subway stops, preferably the green line or red line. I am not interested to live in any hipster areas.

My budget is around $700 per month for renting a room. Any suggestions?
Not going to be easy because almost anywhere near a subway stop near VC Park,the zoo or the botanical garden even 1 br apts are about $1,400/ mo minimum. 2 br's more like $1,600 or $1,700 . So you are probably looking at 800 or 850 min for a real room in a 2 br apt. for 700 you might find a room in a single family house somewhere not too close to a subway stop.

I live in Pelham Parkway near the zoo and Botanical Garden a couple of blocks from the Pelham Parkway 2/5 stop and most 1 br's around here are at least $1,600 now ....2br's are $1,800 or $1,900 and sometimes like $2,100. When I moved here the 1 br's were 850 to 900. Last 1 br that rented in my building was $1,750!

Old 01-07-2017, 07:37 PM

4,773 posts, read 6,571,114 times
The OP just wants to rent a room though.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:41 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnyc2003 View Post
The OP just wants to rent a room though.
Yes, but to figure out what market rent for a room is, you then look at 2 or 3 bedroom apartments, and then divide the total cost of the apartment by the number of bedrooms. So talking about what a 2 bedroom apartment rents for helps answer the question of what a room rental should cost.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM

1 posts, read 919 times
I'm in the process of getting ready to rent a room in the Bronx with a similar budget and have a couple lined up to see this Friday-Saturday. I wanted to stay by Fordham which is pretty close to the areas you want to live to. I suggest you check on CraigsList, GypsyHousing, and Spareroom. You might also want to consider upping your budget a little it seems a lot of the $600-700 rooms get reposted every other week which is a red flag.

Old 01-09-2017, 09:21 AM

Having no luck so far.

The majority of Craigslist ads with rooms for rent in The Bronx are posted in Spanish and they do mass postings/duplicates. I have not yet called anyone directly. First I typed up an ad for myself under the category seeking a room, and then just replied to renters ads by email with a link to my profile ad, and did not receive any legitimate responses yet.

I received one reply and it seemed like a robot, who was asking for my email address and phone number with no organic dialog in the communication. Then they provide a link to SpareRooms saying they will not talk to me until I have a profile up. It sounds scammy.

In the past I have viewed about 100 rooms for rent in NYC and with that I gained a lot of experience sniffing out scammers. I am surprised that there looks like such a limited amount of rooms for rent in the Bronx. Do you all think $700 for a room is too little for a room way up in the Bronx? I'm looking for a bland but safer area to live.

Not having a job yet is not helping my quest too much. Duh! But I have a good head on my shoulders and remain optimistic. I plan to hit the streets until I pick up a restaurant job to starting getting established in NYC again... Any leads on restaurants hiring would be appreciated.

I am currently self employed with no income verification. My career has been fragmented a lot. I have diligently been studying real estate for some years yet I am still inexperienced. I have developed a sick enjoyment with visiting Craigslist rooms for rent ads. My aim is to work in Real Estate, and or, Facilities and Building Maintenance at a skyscraper or a large venue in Manhattan.

Am I too flimsy for making in the Big Apple? I did it before with a simple job that I landed really quick, but it was tough getting by financially. I am ready to give it another whirl.

Last edited by FS22; 01-09-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM

What's the deal with brokers renting rooms in NYC.

How come people requesting rooms to rent on Craigslist often ask "no brokers"?

Are the brokers of weekly rooms to rent all shysters so renters avoid them?

Are they leading people on and then adding on too many extra fees?

Yesterday I talked on the phone with a broker of (weekly) rooms to rent in Bronx, and it sounds simple enough. It must just cost slightly more then any other rooms, plus service fees, but they do all the work for you finding the right place in a hurry...

What kind of pit falls are there with renting a room this way?

Old 01-10-2017, 10:50 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
What's the deal with brokers renting rooms in NYC.

How come people requesting rooms to rent on Craigslist often ask "no brokers"?

Are the brokers of weekly rooms to rent all shysters so renters avoid them?

Are they leading people on and then adding on too many extra fees?

Yesterday I talked on the phone with a broker of (weekly) rooms to rent in Bronx, and it sounds simple enough. It must just cost slightly more then any other rooms, plus service fees, but they do all the work for you finding the right place in a hurry...

What kind of pit falls are there with renting a room this way?
Just keep looking on Craigslist. I would not use a broker if you're on a budget and are trying to find a roommate situation. Besides, you'd rather have a normal apartment and not something that a broker sets up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City