Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 11:56 PM

2,272 posts, read 2,226,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I think we have a very different definition for this term "hip and trendy" that keeps getting tossed around. I'm in Brooklyn as much as I'm in Queens. I think living on the boro border gives me the best of what both have to offer. Cool to me is a place that supplies my interests and needs, and there are many establishments in Brooklyn that do. Just not so much more than what Queens has to offer to justify such a real estate premium. So I don't think it is any of these "hip, trendy, cultural" superiority complexes that makes Brooklyn more expensive. It is the building types (tradionally 3 - 6 family dwellings) and the mass transit coverage, as why Brooklyn commands higher prices than Queens.
You live in Ridgewood which is basically an extension of Bushwick nowadays.

On a separate note to add, I always kinda felt like Brooklyn had more of an overall image and uniformity to it that Queens doesn't have as much. I feel like with Queens it's the specific neighborhood that matters more than the borough.

Does that make sense? Does anyone else get what I'm getting at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 07:03 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,264,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
You live in Ridgewood which is basically an extension of Bushwick nowadays.

On a separate note to add, I always kinda felt like Brooklyn had more of an overall image and uniformity to it that Queens doesn't have as much. I feel like with Queens it's the specific neighborhood that matters more than the borough.

Does that make sense? Does anyone else get what I'm getting at?
Yes other than it being more aesthetically pleasing to new comers, Brooklyn does have a rigid identity since historically being it's own city. If it where it's own city today it would still be the 4th largest city in the US after Chicago and LA, which is insane to me. Nobody ever says if Queens would be anything other than a borough...

Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,324,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruready4Bklyn View Post
Yes other than it being more aesthetically pleasing to new comers, Brooklyn does have a rigid identity since historically being it's own city. If it where it it's own city today it would still be the 4th largest city in the US after Chicago and LA, which is insane to me. Nobody ever says if Queens would be anything other than a borough...
Sorry, but Brooklyn is nothing more than a boro too. There has been no talk about Brooklyn becoming its own city since it was incorporated into NYC over a hundred years ago. And that was only Kings County north of the terminal moraine (roughly north of Eastern Pkwy and west of Prospect Park). The rest was not part of the now defunct City of Brooklyn.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:19 AM

3,862 posts, read 3,158,004 times
Queens had alot of later day planning than brooklyn. Queens really started taking shape, first with the 7 trains going all the way out to flushing , then with the triboro bridge , Laguardia airport, and the Grand Central Parkway creation. this happened in the late 20's . Queens got the residents of Manhattan, from midtown up to harlem. The big attraction was affordable 1 and 2 family homes.

Queens has more 1 and 2 family homes than brooklyn. those apartment complexes were built closer to the trains, maybe 2 to 4 blocks in either direction. Dependent on density and express stop locations.

Brooklyn has an earlier builds, a 20 to 40 year head start over queens. All those big buildings and tenaments were built , taking a lead from lower manhattan. Just an extension of manhattan, housing all the manhattan work force. Of course, you will find those awesome lime stone/brown stone buildings. Some of these buildings were purchased to house multiple family, under one roof, 3 generations of family would not suprise me. These properties being used as SRO , etc would not suprise me.

Brooklyn real estate is hot , if thats what you are looking for. If an extension of Manhattan is what you looking for. There are certain neighborhoods gentrification will not swollow up, like the Hasidic communities. You will pay to live in brooklyn, even though that BQE has to be the worse expressway I dread to drive on!

Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but Brooklyn is nothing more than a boro too. There has been no talk about Brooklyn becoming its own city since it was incorporated into NYC over a hundred years ago. And that was only Kings County north of the terminal moraine (roughly north of Eastern Pkwy and west of Prospect Park). The rest was not part of the now defunct City of Brooklyn.
I'm not disagreeing with that, I am saying the identity behind it. Brooklyn becoming its own city that will never happen. I actually agree with a lot of the comments on here, don't really get the big deal of Brooklyn unless you are from here, everyone probably prefers their own Borough. All this talk just makes it more expensive for me.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:39 AM

602 posts, read 1,265,133 times
Quote:
I'm not disagreeing with that, I am saying the identity behind it. Brooklyn becoming its own city that will never happen. I actually agree with a lot of the comments on here, don't really get the big deal of Brooklyn unless you are from here, everyone probably prefers their own Borough. All this talk just makes it more expensive for me.
Dude, if Brooklyn had its own identity outside of NYC, it would have things like sports teams, for instance. Are the NY Knicks from Brooklyn? No, they are from NY. There would be things like a sports team just for Brooklyn, like the Brooklyn Nets or something. And there would be historic things along those lines, like the Brooklyn Dodgers. Sorry, it just doesn't have an identity like that. It's not like if you go outside of Brooklyn, say to another state or even overseas you can say things like, "I'm from Brooklyn." If it had its own identity, people would be like, "oh, ok," and not like, "Brooklyn, what is that? Is that in Rhode Island?"

Old 01-13-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
Dude, if Brooklyn had its own identity outside of NYC, it would have things like sports teams, for instance. Are the NY Knicks from Brooklyn? No, they are from NY. There would be things like a sports team just for Brooklyn, like the Brooklyn Nets or something. And there would be historic things along those lines, like the Brooklyn Dodgers. Sorry, it just doesn't have an identity like that. It's not like if you go outside of Brooklyn, say to another state or even overseas you can say things like, "I'm from Brooklyn." If it had its own identity, people would be like, "oh, ok," and not like, "Brooklyn, what is that? Is that in Rhode Island?"
ok trying to follow... we did have our own Baseball team/Ebbets stadium. You said it the Brooklyn Dodgers and they were sold off and guess what the old timers til this day have not gotten over it. Only because there were hiccups along the way doesn't mean any of that identify was lost. Why do you think they fought so hard for the new stadium thus the Brooklyn Nets.
Do you get out much?, just saying because yes when you go to places like Rhode Island if you say "Brooklyn" they know "Brooklyn". I worked in bubblefak MA one summer in early 2000s and they had foreign exchange students as well, when I said "Brooklyn" they were like oooh "Brooklyn". They were more familiar of it because of MTV/rap mainstream media but still.
Now you have shows like "Homeland" where the main character has an apartment and lives in Brooklyn. I mean you must be living under a rock if you think Brooklyn is in Rhode Island.

Last edited by Ruready4Bklyn; 01-13-2017 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 07:58 AM

37,217 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
I think we have a very different definition for this term "hip and trendy" that keeps getting tossed around. I'm in Brooklyn as much as I'm in Queens. I think living on the boro border gives me the best of what both have to offer. Cool to me is a place that supplies my interests and needs, and there are many establishments in Brooklyn that do. Just not so much more than what Queens has to offer to justify such a real estate premium. So I don't think it is any of these "hip, trendy, cultural" superiority complexes that makes Brooklyn more expensive. It is the building types (tradionally 3 - 6 family dwellings) and the mass transit coverage, as why Brooklyn commands higher prices than Queens.
Right, I think this is about right. The "hip, trendy" is partially because of the transit access to the central business districts, I think. Parts of Brooklyn were the obviously next place out for people working in the arts and design community to move to from Manhattan. Eastern Queens also had that to some extent, but not to the same level as Brooklyn since there were a lot more and closer connections to the hip, trendy parts of Manhattan (as well as the jobs).

Old 01-13-2017, 08:02 AM

37,217 posts, read 39,488,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daaver View Post
I disagree that Brooklyn doesn't currently have a well-known identity of its own--it's enough of one that it's almost a branding exercise at this point. Brooklyn Lager, Brooklyn Industry, Brooklyn Nets, television shows with Brooklyn in the name or heavily identified with the borough, etc. It's not the same scale of Manhattan or NYC in general, but few places in the US are, so that's kind of a restrictive rubric.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:04 AM

602 posts, read 1,265,133 times
Quote:
ok trying to follow... we did have our own Baseball team/Ebbets stadium. You said it the Brooklyn Dodgers and they were sold off and guess what the old timers til this day have not gotten over it. Only because there were hiccups along the way doesn't mean any of that identify was lost. Why do you think they fought so hard for the new stadium thus the Brooklyn Nets.
Do you get out much?, just saying because yes when you go to places like Rhode Island if you say "Brooklyn" they know "Brooklyn". I worked in bubblefak MA one summer in early 2000s and they had foreign exchange students as well, when I said "Brooklyn" they were like oooh "Brooklyn". They were more familiar of it because of MTV/rap mainstream media but still.
Now you have shows like "Homeland" where the main character has an apartment and lives in Brooklyn. I mean you must be living under a rock if you think Brooklyn is in Rhode Island.
It's possible I was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City