Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 4,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobage View Post
I can understand why a landlord wouldn't want to take Section 8. I also feel bad for honest, hard-working people who need to use Section 8. It must suck being the minority.
Actually being the minority is waiting in line for the 360 rule. You know what goes around comes around. So don't sit pretty just yet. That comment does not exude humility and sympathy it makes you sound like a pompous a@#hole. p.s. It must suck being you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 4,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeBXguy View Post
It's called "working section 8" because you have 2 different types of section 8 people in the system. You have the non-working type that are called "section 8 PA" and the low income working people known as "working section 8". The "working section 8" are not necessarily "well-educated" as you say, unless you think a high school diploma qualifies you as being "well-educated "(it's not) because if that were the case, their education alone could of scored them a way better paying job than 30K a year salary. And the recession that we're in has nothing to do with them scoring a low salary so please don't use that as an excuse.

Yes section 8 inspects the apartments however saying that landlords that refuse section 8 tenants are slumlords who don't fix up their apartments is totally false and a lie that pro-section 8 advocates try to feed or should I say brainwash the people in order to change the perception of section 8 in people's minds (sorry, ain't happening). There's a better reason why landlords refuse to take section 8 tenants and it has nothing to do with fixing up the apartment.

I agree that not everyone on section 8 is bad BUT let's be frank here...the majority are. The truth is the landlords who refuse to take section 8 tenants are the landlords who actually care and want to preserve their building and neighborhood from it becoming the next dump like Newark or Bed-stuy.

The argument that landlords who don't take section 8 people because they don't want to fix up their apartments is totally FALSE. Lets be honest, section 8 tenants or program people in general are at the bottom of the bucket or food chain if you will. They are the type of tenants you pick when you're strapped for cash and in desperate need to fill a vacancy so you could pay your mortgage and other bills. The truth is the quality of tenants in NYC don't get any worse than section 8/program people. That's a fact and everyone knows it despite what a select few on this board may say.

So if section 8/program people are rock bottom as far as quality of tenants then having an apartment thats not suitable for a section 8 tenant because it doesn't pass inspection doesn't make any sense as you can't rent or get any lower than section 8/program people. If a landlord can't rent an apartment to a section 8 tenant then who else is he going to rent to? He's already scrapping the bottom of the bucket.

The REAL reason why landlords are refusing to take section 8 tenants is because the LACK OF QUALITY TENANTS section 8 has to offer. Plain and simple. They bring a certain street element along with them that is harmful for the building and community. If you're a landlord that cares about your property and neighborhood and don't want to see it get blighted, you will do everything in your power to make sure these type of people don't move in and that's what's happening throughout all 5 boroughs. And you can't blame them.
I hear what you are saying but I have Section 8 and me and my family are not like that. I have it because I have a disability and people like you keep me from having a better quality of life because of stereotyping. To be honest I know exactly what you are talking about some of the people that are on it I don't want to live around either. So that's why it's unfair to deny everyone on it. Why not screen the prospective tenants and give SOME people a chance because not everyone who is on Section 8 is uneducated or lazy, some people just had life circumstances that just stuck them there believe it or not. I know regardless of what I say you're still gonna feel how you feel but please think about it out of the goodness of your heart and put yourself in the place of Section 8 tenants like me. May God bless you and your family.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,847 times
Default Need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstar37 View Post
Also, with good credit you can get anything you want. Yes, I have good credit which allowed me to be able to buy my brand new Yukon Denali, Yes, my children attend private schools, again with good credit I am able to make reasonable payments each month. Like WTF, people think because you have Section 8, your kids cant attend private schools or we cant drive nice cars. Get it together. I worked hard for what I have so I am going to enjoy it..
If your children go to private school do you put that on your section 8 budget and how.I have a son that has a IEP in public school and I am frighting with the board of Ed they don,t do **** for my son. What do I do?I want the best for my son.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyQ View Post
Actually to your post working section 8 tenants are actually alot more liable than the ones that rely on welfare and social secruity checks .....

where is it located ??

Old 10-07-2011, 06:46 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConservativeBXguy View Post
It's called "working section 8" because you have 2 different types of section 8 people in the system. You have the non-working type that are called "section 8 PA" and the low income working people known as "working section 8". The "working section 8" are not necessarily "well-educated" as you say, unless you think a high school diploma qualifies you as being "well-educated "(it's not) because if that were the case, their education alone could of scored them a way better paying job than 30K a year salary. And the recession that we're in has nothing to do with them scoring a low salary so please don't use that as an excuse.

Yes section 8 inspects the apartments however saying that landlords that refuse section 8 tenants are slumlords who don't fix up their apartments is totally false and a lie that pro-section 8 advocates try to feed or should I say brainwash the people in order to change the perception of section 8 in people's minds (sorry, ain't happening). There's a better reason why landlords refuse to take section 8 tenants and it has nothing to do with fixing up the apartment.

I agree that not everyone on section 8 is bad BUT let's be frank here...the majority are. The truth is the landlords who refuse to take section 8 tenants are the landlords who actually care and want to preserve their building and neighborhood from it becoming the next dump like Newark or Bed-stuy.

The argument that landlords who don't take section 8 people because they don't want to fix up their apartments is totally FALSE. Lets be honest, section 8 tenants or program people in general are at the bottom of the bucket or food chain if you will. They are the type of tenants you pick when you're strapped for cash and in desperate need to fill a vacancy so you could pay your mortgage and other bills. The truth is the quality of tenants in NYC don't get any worse than section 8/program people. That's a fact and everyone knows it despite what a select few on this board may say.

So if section 8/program people are rock bottom as far as quality of tenants then having an apartment thats not suitable for a section 8 tenant because it doesn't pass inspection doesn't make any sense as you can't rent or get any lower than section 8/program people. If a landlord can't rent an apartment to a section 8 tenant then who else is he going to rent to? He's already scrapping the bottom of the bucket.

The REAL reason why landlords are refusing to take section 8 tenants is because the LACK OF QUALITY TENANTS section 8 has to offer. Plain and simple. They bring a certain street element along with them that is harmful for the building and community. If you're a landlord that cares about your property and neighborhood and don't want to see it get blighted, you will do everything in your power to make sure these type of people don't move in and that's what's happening throughout all 5 boroughs. And you can't blame them.
Well said.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,106 times
Default bunch of jerks here.

You people are mean and sorry excuses for being human. How can you say your money is paying for section 8 or any other program which tries to help homeless or needy people. You whine and cry about your taxes paying for this or paying for that. Yet you don't complain when they use your taxes for space programs or weapons for the government. How about for politicians? Our taxes help pave the way for them to live a better life. Most of you don't know what your talking about. You use the internet and places such as this to vent your anger.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,106 times
What is your idea of a good landlord? Your so full of it.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:04 PM

1,483 posts, read 3,161,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank5351 View Post
You people are mean and sorry excuses for being human. How can you say your money is paying for section 8 or any other program which tries to help homeless or needy people. You whine and cry about your taxes paying for this or paying for that. Yet you don't complain when they use your taxes for space programs or weapons for the government. How about for politicians? Our taxes help pave the way for them to live a better life. Most of you don't know what your talking about. You use the internet and places such as this to vent your anger.
It's the same in the Food Stamps thread.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,141,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank5351 View Post
I'm pretty sure people complain about the government often as well. My issue with Section 8 is the people scamming and the fact that people expect to live well off it. You are receiving a handout from the government which is funded by the tax payers. If you want a nice place to live, you work for it. Yes there are some cases like being disabled and not being able to make enough money. But if you are a relatively healthy legal citizen (see how I said LEGAL), you should not be expecting we the taxpayers to fund YOUR life.

I'm sorry I get annoyed when people complain that people are so callous and cold. If you want social programs like Section 8, WIC, Food Stamps and such you should get the BARE MINIMUM. A place in a undesirable area and enough to supply some essentials. The rest you can work for.

I read on the second page someone that wanted to come from out of state and get Section 8 and complained that they should have something set up like that. Excuse me? You want something set up in a state you do not reside in that would require them to pay you to move there when it's beyond your means? You want to live in NYC but don't have enough money? Welcome to the Entitlement Era. Rich people that worked 60-80 hours a week and risked their cash to create a profitable business are the enemies. How dare they prosper! They should be paying the people that do very little besides rack up debt and refuse the education that's provided to them.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:55 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilldeadly View Post
I'm pretty sure people complain about the government often as well. My issue with Section 8 is the people scamming and the fact that people expect to live well off it. You are receiving a handout from the government which is funded by the tax payers. If you want a nice place to live, you work for it. Yes there are some cases like being disabled and not being able to make enough money. But if you are a relatively healthy legal citizen (see how I said LEGAL), you should not be expecting we the taxpayers to fund YOUR life.

I'm sorry I get annoyed when people complain that people are so callous and cold. If you want social programs like Section 8, WIC, Food Stamps and such you should get the BARE MINIMUM. A place in a undesirable area and enough to supply some essentials. The rest you can work for.

I read on the second page someone that wanted to come from out of state and get Section 8 and complained that they should have something set up like that. Excuse me? You want something set up in a state you do not reside in that would require them to pay you to move there when it's beyond your means? You want to live in NYC but don't have enough money? Welcome to the Entitlement Era. Rich people that worked 60-80 hours a week and risked their cash to create a profitable business are the enemies. How dare they prosper! They should be paying the people that do very little besides rack up debt and refuse the education that's provided to them.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City