Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:02 AM

7 posts, read 6,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
Whys your definition of “diversity”? Because in all honesty, the Bronx is NOT diverse at all. 90% of the Bronx population are of Black and Brown folks. That’s NOT diversity. Queens has a better balance population and more diverse.
I worry about your grasp of reality.

Quote:
Overall, The Bronx has about 27 languages or language groups that are dominant throughout areas of the borough but actual spoken languages is much greater than this.
All of this shouldn’t be too big of a surprise since the US Census said The Bronx is the most diverse area in the country and there is an 89.7 percent chance that any two residents, chosen at random, would be of different race or ethnicity.
Languages of The Bronx & Its Neighborhoods | Welcome2TheBronx

However, when it comes to your mistaken idea that diversity is only skin deep - think a little bit more about the fact that, for many reasons, black and brown folks are not as homogenized as American whites. There is a ton of diversity in the Bronx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2017, 09:36 AM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post

However, when it comes to your mistaken idea that diversity is only skin deep - think a little bit more about the fact that, for many reasons, black and brown folks are not as homogenized as American whites. There is a ton of diversity in the Bronx.
He's actually right. You can throw around all of those stats but generally speaking, there isn't much intermingling of groups. That's what he's talking about. Even in minority areas, you may see lots of black and brown folks, but they aren't really intermingling either. The Latinos stick with the Latinos. The Africans stick with the Africans. The Black Americans with their own... The West Indians with their own. The Whites live in relatively isolated out of the way areas where they are the majority, even if there are other groups. Do you call that "diversity"?

Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM

983 posts, read 932,695 times
Quote:

This may be true in the midwest, but there is a world of difference between different breeds of white people in cities, as much as there is between different hispanics.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iammax View Post
This may be true in the midwest, but there is a world of difference between different breeds of white people in cities, as much as there is between different hispanics.
That's also true. Dominicans like sticking with Dominicans, Mexicans in their group and so on...

Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM

931 posts, read 802,173 times
Quote:

Let me guess CTWalters...you're Black aren't you? Personally, I worry about YOUR grasp of reality. You must be living in a fantasy land.

If you would just OPEN your eyes, you'd notice that easily 90% of the Bronx demographics are of Black and Brown folks. If you want to take it further, financially, at least 75% of that demographics are of poor, low income, working class folks.

I'm sorry but but when 75%-90% of the Bronx population are of Black or Brown people who are either poor, or working poor, that is NOT a DIVERSE community or Borough.

The definition of Diverse is a place like QUEENS. You have your poor folks but you also have your a health chuck of middle class, upper middle class, and wealth folks as well.

Where is the wealth or middle to upper middle class folks location in the Bronx? You can say Riverdale, maybe some in Pelham or Country Club. That's it!

Riverdale, Pelham and the like make up but a FRACTION of the entire Bronx (~10%). It's insignificant. The rest of the borough is filled with poor, low income, working class Black and Brown folks. Call a spade a spade!

That is NOT diverse. Neither racially nor financially. The Bronx is general is NOT a diverse borough. Not even close!

Old 03-17-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Let me guess CTWalters...you're Black aren't you? Personally, I worry about YOUR grasp of reality. You must be living in a fantasy land.

If you would just OPEN your eyes, you'd notice that easily 90% of the Bronx demographics are of Black and Brown folks. If you want to take it further, financially, at least 75% of that demographics are of poor, low income, working class folks.

I'm sorry but but when 75%-90% of the Bronx population are of Black or Brown people who are either poor, or working poor, that is NOT a DIVERSE community or Borough.

The definition of Diverse is a place like QUEENS. You have your poor folks but you also have your a health chuck of middle class, upper middle class, and wealth folks as well.

Where is the wealth or middle to upper middle class folks location in the Bronx? You can say Riverdale, maybe some in Pelham or Country Club. That's it!

Riverdale, Pelham and the like make up but a FRACTION of the entire Bronx (~10%). It's insignificant. The rest of the borough is filled with poor, low income, working class Black and Brown folks. Call a spade a spade!

That is NOT diverse. Neither racially nor financially. The Bronx is general is NOT a diverse borough. Not even close!
lol And Riverdale and Country Club are majority white. Pelham Gardens isn't really upper middle class, but definitely solid middle class. The only upper middle to upper class area is Riverdale. Country Club is middle class to upper middle class at best. Most of Throgs Neck (including the subsections) is solid middle class, as is Woodlawn, Morris Park, Pelham Bay and parts of Pelham Parkway.

Old 03-17-2017, 11:58 AM

931 posts, read 802,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol And Riverdale and Country Club are majority white. Pelham Gardens isn't really upper middle class, but definitely solid middle class. The only upper middle to upper class area is Riverdale. Country Club is middle class to upper middle class at best. Most of Throgs Neck (including the subsections) is solid middle class, as is Woodlawn, Morris Park, Pelham Bay and parts of Pelham Parkway.
Exactly my point. The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough. Not one bit!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Exactly my point. The Bronx is NOT a diverse borough. Not one bit!
How anyone can say it is is beyond me. Back in the old days, minorities didn't set foot in certain areas, hence the movie Bronx Tale... The white areas have become a bit more integrated, but only because so many whites have left. That doesn't mean that those areas are diverse though. You don't see various ethnic groups together regularly. Areas like Woodlawn are still heavily Irish and Irish American. Nothing wrong with it IMO, but it's an example of the lack of diversity that exists. Even areas like Throgs Neck now have more Latinos, but the whites generally still live east of the expressway.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Whys your definition of “diversity”? Because in all honesty, the Bronx is NOT diverse at all. 90% of the Bronx population are of Black and Brown folks. That’s NOT diversity. Queens has a better balance population and more diverse.
Why isn't that diverse to you? That covers many different groups of people.

And The Bronx is at least 14% white anyway.

Old 03-17-2017, 06:21 PM

37,156 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:

The Bronx isn't that diverse compared to Queens, but it's still pretty diverse as a county in the US.

As for the topic, Bedford Park is another option that's pretty comparable to the ones originally listed--though none of these are particularly suburban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City