Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,337,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post
In my building alone I've seen four obviously interracial married couples so far (American and European whites with AA or black Caribbean spouses). In the building next door I'm buddies with a Muslim from Bangladesh and her convert husband from middle America. They introduced me to another couple in that building who are also interracial. I'm in an interracial marriage and we're both from different countries. These are just the very obviously interracial/intercultural couples that are right in my face. Doesn't include the relationships between people from different countries who both happen to have melanin pigment.

Yeah, I call that diversity. I live in one of the neighborhoods listed in the OP post. What do you do, pass through the Bronx sometimes and feel like you know all about it?
Well you should pat yourself on the back for being a bastion of diversity. You're in an interracial marriage. I find that interracial couples go out of their way to meet others, so I'm not surprised at your experiencies, but that doesn't change what I said. The Bronx overall is pretty segregated, even if you see various ethnicities in the same neighborhood. You're probably a transplant anyway. You folks go out of your way to see "adventure". I'm a New Yorker who has lived here my entire life so I've been around the block a few times, but thanks anyway for your feel good story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,516,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Well you should pat yourself on the back for being a bastion of diversity. You're in an interracial marriage. I find that interracial couples go out of their way to meet others, so I'm not surprised at your experiencies, but that doesn't change what I said. The Bronx overall is pretty segregated, even if you see various ethnicities in the same neighborhood. You're probably a transplant anyway. You folks go out of your way to see "adventure". I'm a New Yorker who has lived here my entire life so I've been around the block a few times, but thanks anyway for your feel good story.
I think you're wrong here, if his own building is mixed even, that means the neighborhood is not exactly "segregated".

Old 03-18-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allpro123 View Post
You just proved my point. 14% Whites in the Bronx is NOT diverse! In other words, 86% of the Bronx is of Black and Brown folks. Thats NOT diversity.

Same goes for financially, the Bronx is also NOT financially diverse. The poor and working poor population significantly outnumber the middle class, upper middle class and wealthy in the Bronx. Not even close.
A place does need a huge white population to be diverse. Many different cultures and ethnicties fall under both "black" and "brown".

I would agree that most of the Bronx is lower income, but the market rate rents don't reflect that unfortunately.

Old 03-18-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I think you're wrong here, if his own building is mixed even, that means the neighborhood is not exactly "segregated".
Who knew one building represented the whole neighborhood. My building is majority female and mainly young people, so that means my neighborhood is too.

Old 03-18-2017, 01:51 PM

7 posts, read 6,710 times
Quote:
I noticed you dodged both Yodel's (another Bronx RESIDENT) and my question about where you actually live, so let's quietly agree that you're talking out of your ass.

By the way, is transplant the line you use when you're on the losing side of an argument around here? No need for me to confirm or deny that non sequitur. *shakes head* Anyway man, thanks for the laugh. It must feel pretty humiliating to be schooled by a "transplant" about your own hometown

Old 03-18-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwalters View Post
I noticed you dodged both Yodel's (another Bronx RESIDENT) and my question about where you actually live, so let's quietly agree that you're talking out of your ass.

By the way, is transplant the line you use when you're on the losing side of an argument around here? No need for me to confirm or deny that non sequitur. *shakes head* Anyway man, thanks for the laugh. It must feel pretty humiliating to be schooled by a "transplant" about your own hometown
Since you want to know, I have more than one residence, neither of which is poor, working class or needs to be gentrified. I'll let you take a stab at where, though you may need a map to find them. Nevertheless I'm all over the Bronx and elsewhere around the city for business.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:08 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,640,176 times
Quote:
Since you want to know, I have more than one residence, neither of which is poor, working class or needs to be gentrified. I'll let you take a stab at where, though you may need a map to find them. Nevertheless I'm all over the Bronx and elsewhere around the city for business.
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but a resident certainly has the most in-depth knowledge about their own neighborhood. What is the reason you decline to disclose where you live? Honestly I just don't understand the big deal. Not asking to see your tax returns or anything.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Well, you are entitled to your opinion, but a resident certainly has the most in-depth knowledge about their own neighborhood. What is the reason you decline to disclose where you live? Honestly I just don't understand the big deal. Not asking to see your tax returns or anything.
I already gave you a clue. Do with it what you will, but as I said, none of the neighborhoods that I reside in are working class, poor or need to be gentrified. Disclosing ones neighborhood can lead to unjust conclusions about what I know and don't know. I'm in some neighborhoods almost daily. I've seen areas like the South Bronx slowly improve, though numerous quality of life issues remain. I'm a life-long New Yorker who has lived in just about every borough. Have certainly traveled extensively in each borough.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
Riverdale.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,640,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Riverdale.
That is absolutely what I believe. Brooklyn Heights is too obvious since he wants to hide where he lives. My guess for the second residence Palm Beach. I don't have any reason to think he'd acknowledge a correct guess though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City