Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2017, 03:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,178 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a home next year in the Bronx. I'd like to live in a working class, suburban neighborhood, with mixed diversity. I'm leaning toward Van Cortlandt, Norwood, or Kingsbridge Heights. Do you have any suggestions for other neighborhoods like these in the Bronx? Thanks!

Last edited by ccross0486; 03-11-2017 at 04:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 AM

3,759 posts, read 3,490,424 times
Also look at Thorogs Neck, Pelham Gardens, Pelham Bay, Morris Park...

Old 03-11-2017, 01:14 PM

965 posts, read 1,116,420 times
I second Morris Park and Pelham Gardens.

Old 03-11-2017, 06:50 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,200,192 times
None of those neighborhoods You listed are "suburban" OP...

Only real suburban areas of the Bronx are the coastal areas of Soundview, Castle Hill, Pelham bay, country club. Maybe City Island and Riverdale also. The rest of the Bronx is very urban.
Neighborhoods in the Bronx aren't very mixed, typically you'll have a 90% Dominican neighborhood, or a 90% Jamaican neighborhood. Areas around public housing tend to be both black and Hispanic because of Housing placement. Most diverse neighborhood.. i want to say co-op city or parkchester? These are the only two places I can think of that are diverse

Old 03-11-2017, 07:08 PM

3,759 posts, read 3,490,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post

Only real suburban areas of the Bronx are the coastal areas of Soundview, Castle Hill, Pelham bay, country club. Maybe City Island and Riverdale also. The rest of the Bronx is very urban.
Neighborhoods in the Bronx aren't very mixed, typically you'll have a 90% Dominican neighborhood, or a 90% Jamaican neighborhood. Areas around public housing tend to be both black and Hispanic because of Housing placement. Most diverse neighborhood.. i want to say co-op city or parkchester? These are the only two places I can think of that are diverse
Parts of Pelham Gardens is very suburban... but it's a high price to get in

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8590...8i6656!6m1!1e1

Old 03-11-2017, 08:22 PM

12,792 posts, read 8,327,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogeyDownDweller View Post

Soundview suburban? You mean ghetto. The same applies for most of Castle Hill. Housing projects and suburban don't apply. The suburban parts include Throgs Neck (east of the expressway), Country Club, Woodlawn, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Pelham Gardens, Riverdale and City Island.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:53 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,200,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Soundview suburban? You mean ghetto. The same applies for most of Castle Hill. Housing projects and suburban don't apply. The suburban parts include Throgs Neck (east of the expressway), Country Club, Woodlawn, Morris Park, Pelham Bay, Pelham Gardens, Riverdale and City Island.
Yes the coastal areas of Soundview known as Classic. point are very suburban. Castle hill too.

Werdywerd, yes Pelham gardens very suburban as well

Old 03-11-2017, 11:32 PM

34,164 posts, read 47,398,319 times
Cross Kingsbridge Heights off your list. After some research of the neighborhood, I have concluded that many of the homes along Kingsbridge Terrace are extremely old, and therefore needing some serious upgrades. Unless you want to put in the renovation money, which will be extreme if having to deal with topographical and geological issues. Also, public transportation is not good. Last but not least, your chances of getting mugged on a stair street increases in Kingsbridge Heights - because Kingsbridge Heights has stair streets. Always wondered how people get around in the winter.

Forum TOS: https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 03-12-2017, 09:35 AM

983 posts, read 934,536 times
Kingsbridge is nice. Kingsbridge heights, not so much.

Old 03-12-2017, 09:47 AM

1,496 posts, read 2,241,824 times
Norwood is great. Close to multiple subway lines and metro north, surrounded by green space, near botanical gardens and zoo. Diverse Queens-like ethnic mix, good shopping districts, safe and family oriented.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City