Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 10:30 PM

252 posts, read 348,327 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

New to the area here and I noticed Spectrum (Formerly Time Warner) doesn't service Brooklyn (Bensonhurst area). Can anyone recommend a good/reliable/fast internet service provider? I work a lot from a home office and I'm dependent on a reliable internet service that has minimal outages, etc.

Someone said Optimum? but other then that is there anything else? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 10:40 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,917,376 times
Does Bensonhurst have Verizon?

Old 05-10-2017, 02:16 AM

2,301 posts, read 1,886,466 times
I had optimum and it's fast.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:30 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Bensonhurst has Verizon, but i like Optimum much more.

Old 05-10-2017, 06:59 PM

105 posts, read 90,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logix1229 View Post
Hey everyone,

New to the area here and I noticed Spectrum (Formerly Time Warner) doesn't service Brooklyn (Bensonhurst area). Can anyone recommend a good/reliable/fast internet service provider? I work a lot from a home office and I'm dependent on a reliable internet service that has minimal outages, etc.

Someone said Optimum? but other then that is there anything else? Thanks in advance!
There are only two choices for where you live, Verizon Fios and Optimum. I think reliability is comparable, but price/speed are where you need to make your decision. If you just need low speed, then optimum will offer a low speed plan cheaper than Verizon. FIOS wins for high speed plans in both speed and price.

Keep in mind that the price they give you is only good for a year. Both companies will raise it after the first year.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the responses folks! greatly appreciated it. Looks like we'll go with optimum. Just wanted to make sure it was reliable and didn't have a lot of network outages.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:05 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,904,014 times
Quote:
Thanks for the responses folks! greatly appreciated it. Looks like we'll go with optimum. Just wanted to make sure it was reliable and didn't have a lot of network outages.
I've had optimum for a couple of months now. Not a single outage. I have the lowest speed, which I believe is 10 Mbps.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:39 PM

Actually, I have one more question. Does Optimum throttle internet usage? I am going to share the internet with the family upstairs and I don't know how much internet they use but they have a lot of kids and I know they stream a lot of stuff and I'm sure they download stuff also.

If there's a lot of us using the internet will optimum throttle our connection? If they do, does anyone know what their threshold is before they start doing that?

Old 05-15-2017, 08:36 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Every single company throttles. Even your workplace does it, by default all internet devices have throttling enabled to prevent attacks and from someone using too much. It doesn't matter how fast your internet speeds are, when you live in a densely populated area you are sharing internet with everyone around you. It doesn't matter they sell you the fastest internet you are sharing with other users who also connect to the same hub.

This applies to mobile, cable, even FIOS same thing. Once they applied throttling then everyone gets pushed down and no more spiking.

Throttling is good, all those BS rules about net neutrality removal is nonsense. You want ISP prioritize traffic to ease congestion.

Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 AM

105 posts, read 90,362 times
Quote:
Actually, I have one more question. Does Optimum throttle internet usage? I am going to share the internet with the family upstairs and I don't know how much internet they use but they have a lot of kids and I know they stream a lot of stuff and I'm sure they download stuff also.

If there's a lot of us using the internet will optimum throttle our connection? If they do, does anyone know what their threshold is before they start doing that?

I've shared both with 4 other people and never noticed any throttling. There was some slowdowns when we were all trying to do things that were bandwidth intensive at the same time. However, that can be alleviated by paying more for a higher speed plan. Both do not have any apparent data limits either.

However, you should read up on the differences between cable internet vs FIOS. Theoretically, cable will be slower at peak times because of the technology it employs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City