Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 04:23 PM

589 posts, read 1,221,372 times

Advertisements

I was reading up on a few court cases and it seems that second hand smoke can be considered a breach of the lease based on the right for me to have "quiet enjoyment and habitability".

This is basically the paragraph I am basing this off of:

Even if the lease does not prohibit smoking, the landlord may have grounds to evict the smoking tenant if the cigarette smoke is truly troublesome and interferes with your ability to enjoy living in your own apartment unit. All tenants enjoy the right to "quiet enjoyment," a quaint-sounding legal principle that gives tenants the right to occupy their apartments in peace and also imposes upon them the responsibility of not disturbing their neighbors. (Some leases and rental agreements include a clause that spells out this principle, but it applies to everyone even if it's not in the rental documents.)

It's the landlord's job to enforce both sides of this bargain. If the neighbor's smoking makes your own apartment reek of cigarettes to a degree that seriously disturbs you on a daily basis, the smoking tenant is probably interfering with your right to quiet enjoyment. Again, you'll have to convince the landlord to take action, by asking the smoker to stop or face eviction. For more information on evictions, see How Evictions Work: Rules for Landlords and Property Managers.

Will I be able to take this to court in NYC? My lease specifically states that the building is fit for human living and there is no condition dangerous to health, life, or safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 04:34 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,929,903 times
Instead of being so quick to take someone to court. You should contact your landlord, because that is what they are going to ask you in court did you discuss this with your landlord before the court date. I am sure any lawyer will also tell you to do the same thing. BTW Landlords do not like to be threatened with court with a issue they are not aware of.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERCHIC View Post
Instead of being so quick to take someone to court. You should contact your landlord, because that is what they are going to ask you in court did you discuss this with your landlord before the court date. I am sure any lawyer will also tell you to do the same thing. BTW Landlords do not like to be threatened with court with a issue they are not aware of.
Just spoke to their landlord and she stated she will speak to them but whatever the tenants choose to do is their decision.

Having smoke enter my apartment 5 days out of the week is not cool.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
Just spoke to their landlord and she stated she will speak to them but whatever the tenants choose to do is their decision.

Having smoke enter my apartment 5 days out of the week is not cool.

So the landlord says it's the smoking tenants choice? Then there is your answer/ Your landlord can't do anything legally to stop it. You can hire a lawyer but it's going to cost you.... and you may end up losing a lot of money for lawyers and taking time off to go to court. may be cheaper to move, Maybe the next person you move next to your or moves in after someone else moves will be a smoker too. Maybe buy a house would be your best best.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 PM

979 posts, read 4,458,665 times
Your fight is with your landlord not theirs. He is the one who has failed to provide your "quiet enjoyment". Is this a condo or is the smoke blowing in your windows? Tenants don't sue other tenants in landlord tenant court.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
Your fight is with your landlord not theirs. He is the one who has failed to provide your "quiet enjoyment". Is this a condo or is the smoke blowing in your windows? Tenants don't sue other tenants in landlord tenant court.
Pretty sure tenants can sue other tenants. If the tenant harmed or damaged something.

Old 07-14-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:
So the landlord says it's the smoking tenants choice? Then there is your answer/ Your landlord can't do anything legally to stop it. You can hire a lawyer but it's going to cost you.... and you may end up losing a lot of money for lawyers and taking time off to go to court. may be cheaper to move, Maybe the next person you move next to your or moves in after someone else moves will be a smoker too. Maybe buy a house would be your best best.
I don't need to hire a lawyer. I'd rather give them the choice of going to court and spending money on a lawyer/wasting time.

I literally taste smoke when I drink my water due to the fact that he just smoked outside 5 mins ago

Last edited by cee4; 07-14-2011 at 05:41 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 05:25 PM

979 posts, read 4,458,665 times
Quote:
Pretty sure tenants can sue other tenants. If the tenant harmed or damaged something.
You are suppose to be ignoring me and besides you don't know what you're talking about. Tenants do not have standing to sue other tenants in Part 52 for lease infractions. We are talking about so called "quit enjoyment" aren't we? This is strictly a Real Property term. OP do you have the same LL?

Old 07-14-2011, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modsquad81 View Post
You are suppose to be ignoring me and besides you don't know what you're talking about. Tenants do not have standing to sue other tenants in Part 52 for lease infractions. We are talking about so called "quit enjoyment" aren't we? This is strictly a Real Property term. OP do you have the same LL?
different landlords, attached building

Old 07-14-2011, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cee4 View Post
I don't need to hire a lawyer. I'd rather give them the choice of going to court and spending money on a lawyer/wasting time.

I literally taste smoke when I drink my water due to the fact that he just smoked outside 5 mins ago
your first post you asked if you can take this to court... RIGHT?

Well if your going to court then you need a lawyer and if you need a lawyer you need money and if you need to attend court you need to take time off from work, if you do have a job or a job that would interfear with your court date.

Well like i said in my first post to you. you can move and end up with another smoker. Just a suggestion maybe you would be better off in a house. Good Luck and Good bye
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City