Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM

343 posts, read 254,557 times

Advertisements

This morning I took a bus ride. The bus was packed and during the ride I noticed there was only one person on the whole bus who was height and weight proportionate. Me. It was gross. The bus smelled like people who eat McDonalds. I noticed that there was only one person on the whole bus who was not sweating profusely. Me.

It disturbed me. Some people talk politics and some people talk real estate. I talk health. The truth often pisses people off but it should be known better here in NYC. As I have mentioned before at this forum many times I have traveled the world around a lot. I have seen worse obesity, namely when I taught English in Mexico. Obesity in Mexico is much worse then USA because of the foods they eat in Mexico.

Sure Mexican food (and respectively, USA foods) may taste good but every ingredient and food combination is usually bad for you. Vegetable and corn oils on everything. Iodized salt on everything. Cheese, from pasteurized milk, from mistreated cows. Refined white sugar. Refined white flour. Refined and modified - everything. And too much meat and too much protein. Low quality ingredients. Sure there is cilantro which is okay. But overall everything is so unhealthy. I remember in Mexico they drink more Coca Cola then water. Coca Cola is actually less expensive then water.

It is not much different here in the USA and NYC is particularly bad compared to suburban and rural areas because there are not so many food shops to make impulse buys. Obesity in NYC is the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 08:09 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Troll post. NYC is certainly not worse than flyover suburbs and rural areas in regards to obesity. I saw way more obesity in Vestal, New York.

Also, the obesity rate in Mexico is only slightly higher than the US.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:11 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FS22 View Post
This morning I took a bus ride. The bus was packed and during the ride I noticed there was only one person on the whole bus who was height and weight proportionate. Me. It was gross. The bus smelled like people who eat McDonalds. I noticed that there was only one person on the whole bus who was not sweating profusely. Me.

It disturbed me. Some people talk politics and some people talk real estate. I talk health. The truth often pisses people off but it should be known better here in NYC. As I have mentioned before at this forum many times I have traveled the world around a lot. I have seen worse obesity, namely when I taught English in Mexico. Obesity in Mexico is much worse then USA because of the foods they eat in Mexico.

Sure Mexican food (and respectively, USA foods) may taste good but every ingredient and food combination is usually bad for you. Vegetable and corn oils on everything. Iodized salt on everything. Cheese, from pasteurized milk, from mistreated cows. Refined white sugar. Refined white flour. Refined and modified - everything. And too much meat and too much protein. Low quality ingredients. Sure there is cilantro which is okay. But overall everything is so unhealthy. I remember in Mexico they drink more Coca Cola then water. Coca Cola is actually less expensive then water.

It is not much different here in the USA and NYC is particularly bad compared to suburban and rural areas because there are not so many food shops to make impulse buys. Obesity in NYC is the norm.
Am here to say this is mainly the case in *poor neighborhoods*, and it seems as if you live in one, so am not sure why you're so shocked. It's no surprise that people with higher incomes *generally* can afford more expensive food (e.g. organic veggies and other organic food that isn't highly processed). Last night, was near a McDonald's in Manhattan. Watched as each person that came out was overweight. Have not eaten fast food from such disgusting places in years, given the crap that they put in that *food*. It is not easy to eat healthy in NYC. Good food here is expensive. Aside from the cost factor, there's the need to change your habits. Working long hours means one can easily rely on food delivery. Can tell you that I make organic food a priority, and the restaurants that I frequent when I do eat out are those that source from the local outdoor markets or that believe in organic and farm-to-table eating. Again, is expensive, but worth it. Also do not drink soda. Water, flavored sparkling water, etc. Limit organic teas to *treats*, as well as organic orange juice. *Lots* of sugar. Always go to WF at least twice a week for fresh organic fruit and make that and organic veggies the main thing I eat.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
An entire bus of fat people and you are the only in-shape one. Yeah, right!

1 in 4 people are overweight in Hawaii.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Am here to say this is mainly the case in *poor neighborhoods*, and it seems as if you live in one, so am not sure why you're so shocked. It's no surprise that people with higher incomes *generally* can afford more expensive food (e.g. organic veggies and other organic food that isn't highly processed). Last night, was near a McDonald's in Manhattan. Watched as each person that came out was overweight. Have not eaten fast food from such disgusting places in years, given the crap that they put in that *food*. It is not easy to eat healthy in NYC. Good food here is expensive. Aside from the cost factor, there's the need to change your habits. Working long hours means one can easily rely on food delivery. Can tell you that I make organic food a priority, and the restaurants that I frequent when I do eat out are those that source from the local outdoor markets or that believe in organic and farm-to-table eating. Again, is expensive, but worth it. Also do not drink soda. Water, flavored sparkling water, etc. Limit organic teas to *treats*, as well as organic orange juice. *Lots* of sugar. Always go to WF at least twice a week for fresh organic fruit and make that and organic veggies the main thing I eat.
I've been in plenty of poor neighborhoods in NYC, and even there it's not like everyone is obese.

And not everyone who goes to McDonald's is overweight, but people who eat McDonald's too often are more likely to be overweight of course.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
An entire bus of fat people and you are the only in-shape one. Yeah, right!

1 in 4 people are overweight in Hawaii.
Exactly. This guy must be trolling.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:27 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
NYC is pretty slim compared to most American cities, mostly b/c people walk a lot here and don't have cars. Yeah there are cabs and subways but NYC is a walking city.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I've been in plenty of poor neighborhoods in NYC, and even there it's not like everyone is obese.

And not everyone who goes to McDonald's is overweight, but people who eat McDonald's too often are more likely to be overweight of course.
This was very late at night and there weren't as many people out and about, so had the chance to sit and watch. None of the people were morbidly obese, but certainly overweight. Bad enough eating so late, but eating that garbage late at night can put on the pounds *fast*. Also eat late sometimes, and try to stick with organic fruit or whatever. Doesn't sit on you. Can also say that the obesity issue is becoming international as America has more influence, particularly as chains look to expand. Saw a series on cable with KFC, Domino's etc. in the United Arab Emirates. Was shocked to see how many people were overweight and suffering from chronic illnesses (diabetes being the main one). Portion sizes and over indulging is leading to it, as that is not a poor country, but rather one where the majority of its citizens have money. Being so hot, difficult for people to get exercise, so they head to the mall or whatever and just eat that garbage as a way of socializing. Really terrible. Here in the U.S. am thinking some people you see in WF are just there to be fashionable or whatever, but don't really take it seriously, as they step outside and then chain smoke like no tomorrow. Have never understood this. Have people still smoking like it's the 80's when smoking was supposedly *cool* or whatever. In 2017, it is not cool. Apparently some people didn't get the memo.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:34 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
This was very late at night and there weren't as many people out and about, so had the chance to sit and watch. None of the people were morbidly obese, but certainly overweight. Bad enough eating so late, but eating that garbage late at night can put on the pounds *fast*. Also eat late sometimes, and try to stick with organic fruit or whatever. Doesn't sit on you. Can also say that the obesity issue is becoming international as America has more influence, particularly as chains look to expand. Saw a series on cable with KFC, Domino's etc. in the United Arab Emirates. Was shocked to see how many people were overweight and suffering from chronic illnesses (diabetes being the main one). Portion sizes and over indulging is leading to it, as that is not a poor country, but rather one where the majority of its citizens have money. Being so hot, difficult for people to get exercise, so they head to the mall or whatever and just eat that garbage as a way of socializing. Really terrible. Here in the U.S. am thinking some people you see in WF are just there to be fashionable or whatever, but don't really take it seriously, as they step outside and then chain smoke like no tomorrow. Have never understood this. Have people still smoking like it's the 80's when smoking was supposedly *cool* or whatever. In 2017, it is not cool. Apparently some people didn't get the memo.
Some people are just addicted and don't have the willpower to do what it takes to stop. Quite sad really.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Some people are just addicted and don't have the willpower to do what it takes to stop. Quite sad really.
Am in agreement, but some do it because they think it's cool to be outside smoking and socializing or whatever. Have a bunch of French folks that work on the one of the floors in my office building. Can tell you they are outside *non-stop* laughing and puffing. Can see them first thing in the morning, then on lunch break and anywhere in between.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City