Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 11:44 AM

3,735 posts, read 3,471,180 times

Advertisements

Have no fear Mothers of NYC who have multiple children and stay on public assistance generation after generation!
Keep voting for me and those who think like me and we will take care of you with taxpayer money from nearly birth until you are dead! Keep the cycle going!

Mayor de Blasio announces 3-K for All program

NEW YORK -
Mayor Bill de Blasio announced the city is starting its new 3-K for All program Thursday.

The mayor held a press conference at P.S. 178 in Brownsville, which is one of the first schools that will offer the program this fall.

The program will initially be offered in District 7 in the South Bronx and District 23 in Brownsville.

De Blasio and city leaders saying that the city’s educational system got it "backwards," not focusing on the importance of early education. According to the mayor's press release, studies have found that students who attend two years of pre-school compared to one are more prepared for kindergarten.

De Blasio also said that many parents in the Bronx and Brooklyn will be receiving letters Thursday saying their child has been accepted into the new program, but added that it will take a while before the initiative can be offered citywide.

According to the mayor's press release, the city will expand the free full-day program to at least six more districts - for a total of eight - by fall 2020. Starting in the fall of 2020, the last pair of districts will have universal access by fall 2021.

The mayor says in order to reach all 32 districts, the city will need support from the state and federal government.

This school year, only 1,600 3 year olds in Districts 7 and 23 were granted acceptance into this year's program, but by next school year, it will be open to all 3 year olds in those districts. It will cost $16 million in its first year. The city is encouraging all New Yorkers, regardless of district, to apply for the program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,929,858 times
I actually think you have the program all wrong.. This program is not subsidized for low-income welfare families. As a parent who spends bookoo bucks on childcare I would have been thrilled to enroll them in free DOE lead programming.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayLove View Post
I actually think you have the program all wrong.. This program is not subsidized for low-income welfare families. As a parent who spends bookoo bucks on childcare I would have been thrilled to enroll them in free DOE lead programming.
Did you read the two neighborhoods they are introducing this program in? It's a VERY TARGETED program. Not meant for middle class working folks that pay taxes. I assure you.

Old 07-27-2017, 12:17 PM

Brownsville Demographics:
The racial makeup of the neighborhood was 76.1% (44,364) African American, 0.8% (471) White, 0.3% (165) Native American, 0.7% (416) Asian, 0.0% (18) Pacific Islander, 0.3% (180) from other races, and 1.2% (703) from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 20.6% (11,983) of the population.[51] 29.9% of the population were high school graduates and 8.4% had a bachelor's degree or higher.[51] This was reflected in the Community Health Profile.[43]:2

As of 2008, the median household income was $15,978.[32] In 2015, an estimated 37% of Brownsville residents lived in poverty, compared to 24% in all of Brooklyn and 21% in all of New York City.

South Bronx:

Race & Ethnicity
• 39% of this population is Black and 60% is Hispanic. This represents a higher percentage of Blacks and Hispanics than resides in Bronx County, the City, or New York State.
• The percentages of the population that are Black and Hispanic are above Federal guidelines that define minority populations for the purposes of identifying environmental justice issues associated with federal actions.
Poverty Level
• Additionally, the percentage of the population that lived below the poverty level in 1989 was 39%. This is over 10% higher than the portion of the population that have incomes below the 1989 poverty level in Bronx County, almost 20% higher than those in New York City and about three times those in New York State and the United States.

Again, catering to the demo that supports him and keeps guys like him in office. It's not complicated and very much plain as day.

They will sell this as helping poor people find time to go out and work and earn a living, but we all know that's political talk for more free services. With all the "free programs to help people find jobs" over the last 30 years that politicians have given out, you would think that everyone would be employed in these areas by now.

Don't forget, de blasio gave out free internet and tablets to these same neighborhoods to help people find work. The Obama admin did the same this for these neighborhoods to with Cell Phones. How is that all working out? How come there is never a study to go back into these neighborhoods a year or two years later to see if these free services actually work as intended? EXACTLY.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:09 PM

912 posts, read 1,132,517 times
The program will eventually be offered city wide, so what if they pilot starts is poor ethnic neighborhoods? Early childhood development is critical to the educational success of every child. children who grow up in poverty don’t have access to early education, so if you’re problem is continuing the cycle of poverty, then giving poor children the best chance possible to succeed in education is the best way to reduce poverty.

I don’t know why you have such a huge problem with poor people, are there problems with our welfare system? Yes. Is there fraud? Yes. But giving poor children the opportunity to succeed is not a waste of tax payer money. If you wanna cry about injustice, then where are your threads on how congress wants to do away with ridiculous lax Dod frank protections. There’s a reason no banker went to jail for the 2008 crisis. They bought Congress, they create the laws, so nothing they do is illegal. Bankers crashing the economy hurts you and me much more than welfare fraud or really anything that poor people do.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
I don’t know why you have such a huge problem with poor people
Complaining about wasting my taxpayer money on programs that never make anything better does NOT mean I am against poor people. How DARE you.

Again, I ask, where are the studies showing that giving TAXPAYER funded programs to poor families are actually making things better? Where are the numbers? If these politicians can PROVE they are taking people out of poverty with the free programs they have been giving poor people for the last, say, 20 years, then I am ALL FOR IT.

Unfortunately you will never see such numbers or statistics. Ask yourself why.

I am all for helping people get on their feet. I will use my tax money to help less fortunate and already donate to many charities to help the poor.
I am AGAINST decades of government handouts that do nothing to help lift people up out of poverty, and in-fact KEEP them in the cycle of poverty and keep them relying on Government help. See the difference?

Stop making assumptions about me.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
Complaining about wasting my taxpayer money on programs that never make anything better does NOT mean I am against poor people. How DARE you.

Again, I ask, where are the studies showing that giving TAXPAYER funded programs to poor families are actually making things better? Where are the numbers? If these politicians can PROVE they are taking people out of poverty with the free programs they have been giving poor people for the last, say, 20 years, then I am ALL FOR IT.

Unfortunately you will never see such numbers or statistics. Ask yourself why.

I am all for helping people get on their feet. I will use my tax money to help less fortunate and already donate to many charities to help the poor.
I am AGAINST decades of government handouts that do nothing to help lift people up out of poverty, and in-fact KEEP them in the cycle of poverty and keep them relying on Government help. See the difference?

Stop making assumptions about me.

So i'm trying still to understand your argument some more. I know the the Brownsville demographics very well since I live there. So yes I see, the issue you have is the location in which the its being rolled out in.. I get it.. Darn he should of started here in Chinatown or the UWS I guess, but that was already addressed.

But I think I understand what your "trying to say", people in these areas do not work so they do not need free educational child care or any child care paid for the the tax payers? Lets keep them and their children uneducated. Do not provide them them with tools to keep them from being the statics that they are because there is not proof that it is working so fgg and move on!.. YESSS I GET IT!

Old 07-27-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
So i'm trying still to understand your argument some more. I know the the Brownsville demographics very well since I live there. So yes I see, the issue you have is the location in which the its being rolled out in.. I get it.. Darn he should of started here in Chinatown or the UWS I guess, but that was already addressed.

But I think I understand what your "trying to say", people in these areas do not work so they do not need free educational child care or any child care paid for the the tax payers? Lets keep them and their children uneducated. Do not provide them them with tools to keep them from being the statics that they are because there is not proof that it is working so fgg and move on!.. YESSS I GET IT!
You're not understanding because you just want to hate on what i'm saying.

I see there is no use trying to make my point any longer, I wrote it in proper English and it is very easy to understand if you want to ACTUALLY understand what I wrote. But you just want to disagree with all of my points just to disagree. You assume I am white and affluent and probably republican as well... right?

I see this won't get anywhere. Have a good day.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werdywerd View Post
You're not understanding because you just want to hate on what i'm saying.

I see there is no use trying to make my point any longer, I wrote it in proper English and it is very easy to understand if you want to ACTUALLY understand what I wrote. But you just want to disagree with all of my points just to disagree. You assume I am white and affluent and probably republican as well... right?

I see this won't get anywhere. Have a good day.

I don't assume anything about you! As well as you probably now assume that I fit into your copied and pasted clientele static about Brownsville, fortunate to say that I've worked hard not be. What I am going to agree with is yes Brownsville get a bad wrap. Will it change? Who knows. But lets get one thing straight here, this mayor, that mayor, the next mayor, will always use an impoverished neighborhood as a "marketing ploy". These undeserved neighborhoods will continue to be a free market and target for campaign publicity, start up programs, or whatever. Why? Because if it fails, ooh well who cares, nobody will notice failure in a failed neighborhood. And if it works.. MY GOODNESS LOOK AT THE GREAT WORK I DID FOR THIS NEIGHBORHOOD....

But my honest humble opinion, at the end of the day, you don't care, nobody does, so yes.. move on... You don't live there. You don't care for the people. You never will. Leave them alone. They are just statics looking for handouts.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
You don't live there
There you go assuming again. I live near Claremont and Third Ave. in the South Bronx. I see poverty on the daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: