Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 08:15 PM

11 posts, read 18,593 times

Advertisements

I live in queens now, when I first moved here I figured it would be great because the commute the downtown was only 45 minutes on Google maps. 2 years later of dealing with the E/F lines I've realized it's just too much for me and I'd like to move into Manhattan now - my commute is normally an hour, often more than that. The E/F just always seem to have an issue, and because they are both on 1 line for most of Queens, any issues on one of the 4 lines (E/M/R/F) will just ruin my commute and day.

Anyway, I've been looking at UES and midtown east and would love to live somewhere near the 4/5 trains but I don't want to make the same mistake. I work at Fulton st. off the 4/5.

Google maps puts me at 25 minutes from the 86th st. stop on the 4/5. Will the 4/5 be relatively consistent, or does it suffer from stop and go every single morning/night?

As a side note, I used to commute from Westchester and take the 4/5 from grand central - for the most part it was pretty quick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2017, 10:22 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
I take the 4/5 every morning and also get off at Fulton. I find it to be pretty reliable and fast, but I get on at 14th St. Union Square. I believe the 4/5 from the UES is very crowded, although the new Q train is probably helping.

Old 11-09-2017, 11:15 PM

34,104 posts, read 47,316,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
I live in queens now, when I first moved here I figured it would be great because the commute the downtown was only 45 minutes on Google maps. 2 years later of dealing with the E/F lines I've realized it's just too much for me and I'd like to move into Manhattan now - my commute is normally an hour, often more than that. The E/F just always seem to have an issue, and because they are both on 1 line for most of Queens, any issues on one of the 4 lines (E/M/R/F) will just ruin my commute and day.

Anyway, I've been looking at UES and midtown east and would love to live somewhere near the 4/5 trains but I don't want to make the same mistake. I work at Fulton st. off the 4/5.

Google maps puts me at 25 minutes from the 86th st. stop on the 4/5. Will the 4/5 be relatively consistent, or does it suffer from stop and go every single morning/night?

As a side note, I used to commute from Westchester and take the 4/5 from grand central - for the most part it was pretty quick.
Find something near the Q

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 11-10-2017, 05:10 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,093,283 times
Furious last night around 10PM after theater: "All N Q R W trains are suspended in Manhattan." No reasons given just "N Q R W trains suspended."
LIttle by little even the new Q-train is being sucked into the morass.
So then a jillion people had to Shuttle to Grand Central and onto the sardine packed 4,5,6.The 4 was running local. Pity those trying to get to Queens.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Furious last night around 10PM after theater: "All N Q R W trains are suspended in Manhattan." No reasons given just "N Q R W trains suspended."
LIttle by little even the new Q-train is being sucked into the morass.
So then a jillion people had to Shuttle to Grand Central and onto the sardine packed 4,5,6.The 4 was running local. Pity those trying to get to Queens.
That’s my life. Always something making the E/f stop constantly on the way home.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:27 PM

6,153 posts, read 4,525,082 times
The E/F has been stopping on the way home since I was a wee little child.

Old 11-10-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
The E/F has been stopping on the way home since I was a wee little child.
Yep. I wish I would have asked this same question before moving to Queens. Love the area but with the commute I might as well live in westchester.

Old 11-10-2017, 05:55 PM

12,791 posts, read 8,300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmejiaa View Post
Yep. I wish I would have asked this same question before moving to Queens. Love the area but with the commute I might as well live in westchester.
Why don't you? Metro-North is much more reliable than the subway ever could be, especially the 4 5 6 line. Cannot see it being better than the E/F.

Old 11-10-2017, 06:43 PM

4,776 posts, read 6,579,361 times
If the OP is working in Lower Manhattan, though, that's a subway ride after Metro North. Yes, lots of people do it, but I wouldn't want to.

Old 11-12-2017, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Why don't you? Metro-North is much more reliable than the subway ever could be, especially the 4 5 6 line. Cannot see it being better than the E/F.
I did that originally from white plains. It’s still a long ride(much longer than from forest hills) and doesn’t solve my problem. Most of what I do is in the city, having to work around metro north schedules suck and get worse later at night. While the trains can be slow to Queens at least I can take a cab or just wait out the train at any time.

Moving into manhattan works for the convenience and what I want - just doing my homework.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City