Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 08:47 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times

Advertisements

People in Harlem will say they live in Harlem or Uptown not Manhattan lol, Brooklyn residents will I am from Coney Island, Bedside, East New York etc, Queens residents will say I am from Flushing or Jamaica
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:54 AM

1,015 posts, read 1,197,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arxis28 View Post
I agree that it has to do with valuing where you live. Many Bronx residents have little appreciation and pride of their community and probably would leave it in a heartbeat if they could. Probably why residents treat their streets like a toilet. People don't name toilets...

The neighborhoods where people care are more often the ones that retain their identities. It's no surprise Woodlawn, Riverdale, Pelham Parkway are the most familiar Bronx areas.
I just think the Bronx has very poor urban planning that makes most areas undesirable and overcrowded with few amenities like parks or decent shopping.

This goes back over a century because the Bronx has always been cheap working class housing stock for workers employed in Manhattan. Even though it is bigger than many other cities in the nation as a standalone borough, it is set up to function and operate like a auxiliary extension to Manhattan with all the services and amenities in Manhattan. The Bronx is just housing for the poor. Until that changes and the Bronx becomes more of its own self-sufficient city with its own attractions (like Brooklyn has for instance) it will continue to suffer from low morale because of the rampant poverty. Poverty rates here are more than double the national average

Old 09-01-2017, 02:05 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arxis28 View Post
i agree that it has to do with valuing where you live. Many bronx residents have little appreciation and pride of their community and probably would leave it in a heartbeat if they could. Probably why residents treat their streets like a toilet. People don't name toilets...

The neighborhoods where people care are more often the ones that retain their identities. It's no surprise woodlawn, riverdale, pelham parkway are the most familiar bronx areas.
+1

that's what i meant

Old 09-01-2017, 04:08 PM

270 posts, read 145,570 times
Not necessarily true. I've heard people say they're from Woodlawn, Riverdale, City Island, Bronx Manor, Morris Park, Locust Point, Country Club, Indian Village or Silver Beach. Since these are nicer areas of the Bronx, the residents identify with these neighborhood names instead of just saying "The Bronx".

Old 09-01-2017, 05:59 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Reminds me. Why can't people from Riverdale admit they're in the Bronx?

Old 09-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
How about the folk who live WITHIN Riverdale? They're not from the Bronx. They're not from Riverdale. They're from FIELDSTON!

Old 09-01-2017, 06:43 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Because people like you never have anything good to say about the Bronx. There are some good neighborhoods there. Someone successful doesn't want to be associated with the ghetto, and for the most part, most people don't have much good things to say about the place.
Riverdale is always considered *a good neighborhood* for the Bronx, not just a good neighborhood. When people like you start respecting good Bronx neighborhoods they perhaps will change their attitude.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Because people like you never have anything good to say about the Bronx. There are some good neighborhoods there. Someone successful doesn't want to be associated with the ghetto, and for the most part, most people don't have much good things to say about the place.
Riverdale is always considered *a good neighborhood* for the Bronx, not just a good neighborhood. When people like you start respecting good Bronx neighborhoods they perhaps will change their attitude.
I guess the same can be said about Queens. I have a co-worker who insists she lives in Douglaston, not Queens.

Old 09-01-2017, 06:53 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
The neighborhoods south of Fordham and west of the Bronx river were simply called "South Bronx" back in the 60s to 80s due to the fact that they all shared the same abandonment, fires, and high crime. It wasn't until the rebuilding of those neighborhoods that they regained their identities.

Same reason why people from the east Bronx like Soundview, Castle Hill, Parkchester etc and North west bronx neighborhoods like Riverdale, use their neighborhood name. In those places, the identities were never lost, and they were not lumped in with 10+ neighborhoods.

Old 09-01-2017, 07:00 PM

34,096 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
The neighborhoods south of Fordham and west of the Bronx river were simply called "South Bronx" back in the 60s to 80s due to the fact that they all shared the same abandonment, fires, and high crime. It wasn't until the rebuilding of those neighborhoods that they regained their identities.

Same reason why people from the east Bronx like Soundview, Castle Hill, Parkchester etc and North west bronx neighborhoods like Riverdale, use their neighborhood name. In those places, the identities were never lost, and they were not lumped in with 10+ neighborhoods.
Thank you, makes perfect sense. I knew somebody from the Bronx would come through

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City