Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Doubtful the kid was in serious danger. He had years on those other punks, who clearly got a life lesson for messing with the kid.

All three are currently removed from society, and I bet that school is a better place because of it.

We live in a society where such raucous behavior has you removed from typical society and caged.

These cases need to be taken more seriously at a young age, and these students need to be removed / expelled for behavior that detracts from the learning of others. No one did the right thing here.

Every student in the same class as those three kids (probably quite a few of them given the nature of these small schools) will know exactly the quality of the other characters in that class, moreso than even the teachers and principals.

If the kids aren't afraid- they'll talk.
You don't know he wasn't in serious danger. Quite clearly people get killed in schools.

Why is it not okay for a gay Hispanic man to defend him, yet if a white guy had shot people assaulting him you'd be cheering. There's no dispute in the media accounts that he was assaulted on more than one occasion.

It's not like you're even willing to condemn the deceased for even assaulting and bullying him. Only straight white guys get to defend themselves?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Of course I’d say he has the right to self-defense, everyone should. Even actual perps do under those circumstances.
Thank you for your consistency.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:52 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
You don't know he wasn't in serious danger. Quite clearly people get killed in schools.

Why is it not okay for a gay Hispanic man to defend him, yet if a white guy had shot people assaulting him you'd be cheering. There's no dispute in the media accounts that he was assaulted on more than one occasion.

It's not like you're even willing to condemn the deceased for even assaulting and bullying him. Only straight white guys get to defend themselves?
He had previously not been hospitalized, or significantly assaulted as it would have resulted in 5 day mandatory suspension of the other students. These records would have come up. This is 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.

I didn't -ever- say it wasn't his call to defend himself. I didn't use any labels too- I don't care if he's gay, hispanic, white, obese, Jewish, rich, poor. His choice was to fight back by stabbing and killing his harasser. That's a fight he won, there's consequences now surrounding it.

I absolutely [reread the post] condemned the deceased. He was creating a hostile learning environment, and died because of it. Probably trying to get a rise out of his peers, and messed with the wrong kid. I'm still a bit suspect though of the whole age difference thing.

Being bullied is no reason to murder your peers.
Bullying others is not held in high regard either- but restorative justice is the new law and Arnie Duncan demanded we no longer suspend minorities unless they are beating each other to near death.

I'm not a 'progressive', so I'm not aware of their agenda.
Whether it's to placate minority masses, or to have them all jump through hoops and placate white culture, of that I have no idea. It's a bad policy though.

Three people couldn't behave civilly.
One is dead, one is hospitalized, and one will serve significant jail time.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
He had previously not been hospitalized, or significantly assaulted as it would have resulted in 5 day mandatory suspension of the other students. These records would have come up. This is 'bringing a gun to a knife fight'.

I didn't -ever- say it wasn't his call to defend himself. I didn't use any labels too- I don't care if he's gay, hispanic, white, obese, Jewish, rich, poor. His choice was to fight back by stabbing and killing his harasser. That's a fight he won, there's consequences now surrounding it.

I absolutely [reread the post] condemned the deceased. He was creating a hostile learning environment, and died because of it. Probably trying to get a rise out of his peers, and messed with the wrong kid. I'm still a bit suspect though of the whole age difference thing.

Being bullied is no reason to murder your peers.
Bullying others is not held in high regard either- but restorative justice is the new law and Arnie Duncan demanded we no longer suspend minorities unless they are beating each other to near death.

I'm not a 'progressive', so I'm not aware of their agenda.
Whether it's to placate minority masses, or to have them all jump through hoops and placate white culture, of that I have no idea. It's a bad policy though.

Three people couldn't behave civilly.
One is dead, one is hospitalized, and one will serve significant jail time.
I doubt he will serve significant jail time. One kid in the Bronx recently choked to death his mother's boyfriend. After a community outcry and fundraiser the DA is not press charges. The boyfriend was beating his mother, so he choked the boyfriend until he "slept". Or was dead rather.

For political reasons this child will not do time as the gay and Latino communities rush to his defense.

Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:

He didn’t say any of that. Why do you always do this?

He basically said the same as me: absent a direct and imminent threat (ie, happening at that moment), self-defense does not apply.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
He didn’t say any of that. Why do you always do this?

He basically said the same as me: absent a direct and imminent threat (ie, happening at that moment), self-defense does not apply.
Because he did mean that.

The fact that some posters here didn't think he had any right to defend himself (he should have shown he was a man and fought them and possibly gotten severely beaten up) really does indeed show some sort of bias, especially anti gay.

In a nation where Trump was elected the President (Trump whose administration has said it's okay to fire gay people), we really know how much people value gay and other minorities. Not at all. Hence the double standard. There's broad acceptance of you preparing for a war and wanting to shoot those you're politically at odds with, yet a poor gay Latino kid who kills someone who assaulted him is criticized (and even suggested he should have fought them with his fists). Epic fail on people here.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:01 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
This is BS and you know it. LGBT people are a small minority, with high suicide rates due to persistent bullying from the mainstream society. And churches have always supported the ostracization of gay people. There are multiple slurs aimed at gay people.

You faced none of this.

And yes, one is allowed to kill in self defense if need be, yet you and certain others want to de y this to gay people.
You sound like a real intolerant SoB. I was a minority amongst the LGBT, and they ganged up against me. But I showed restraint, and walked away. Yes, I could have stabbed them with a pencil or something, but I showed them that I was stronger than that and simply walked away. I'm a role model to those that get bullied. We should all just relax and take the peaceful route.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
You sound like a real intolerant SoB. I was a minority amongst the LGBT, and they ganged up against me. But I showed restraint, and walked away. Yes, I could have stabbed them with a pencil or something, but I showed them that I was stronger than that and simply walked away. I'm a role model to those that get bullied. We should all just relax and take the peaceful route.
An essentially fictional story that cannot be verified. Of course there was no police report. Save your fairy tales for the little kids.

I'm very intolerant when it comes to homophobia and the dismissal of the rights of anyone to defend themselves. Cedano had the right to defend himself, despite your fictional story with your girlfriends.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:12 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
An essentially fictional story that cannot be verified. Of course there was no police report. Save your fairy tales for the little kids.
Stop bullying me. Don't make me use this pencil.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:33 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,882,727 times
Quote:
Cedano had the right to defend himself, despite your fictional story with your girlfriends.

Quote:
Police did not initially say whether McCree and the other boy Cedeno stabbed, 16-year-old Ariane Laboy, had bullied Cedeno in the past. However on Thursday Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters that "it was teasing from other students, not these two."

Laboy and McCree allegedly tossed paper and pencils at Cedeno just before the teenager pulled a knife on them, according to police.

The NY Post and the Daily News interviewed Cedeno from Rikers Island on Friday, where the 18-year-old reportedly said that he did not know Laboy or McCree, adding, "I guess I just snapped."
Mother Of Teen Killed In Bronx Classroom: 'My Son Wasn't A Bully': Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City