Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 05:13 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,404,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
And nothing about the local bus or express bus because when MTA thinks about MTA they think subway? What will happen with those Metrocards or will the buses be slow refitted with these fancy new machines that can read a phone that people now have to make sure they never leave home without.
Right, and which can be prone to error through cracked screens and require shifting the phone to the right app for display? NFC has the advantage of easy use of just passing through a small general area as well as allowing dongles or tap cards as alternates. NFC has a lesser chance of user error (which is a massive issue with bus loading) and is more flexible in the medium one can use aside from one’s phone. This is a bizarre misuse of funds even if it is a small pilot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 06:04 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
In addition, I see lots of people still using change to pay on buses. Wonder how that would go.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:47 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I would have a problem using my phone at a turnstile because the cord won't reach to the subway entrance.

Old 10-11-2017, 09:31 AM

345 posts, read 853,728 times
i was in Chicago recently. There system is better in terms of payment, cleanliness and on time. They even have service directly to their airports. Their buses even have garbage cans with lining. Where does the garbage go on NYC buses?

Old 10-11-2017, 11:33 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd10025 View Post
i was in Chicago recently. There system is better in terms of payment, cleanliness and on time. They even have service directly to their airports. Their buses even have garbage cans with lining. Where does the garbage go on NYC buses?
I'm curious how they can be better with the "on time" thing, with NYC's subway having such small headway. I never even look at the subway schedule, I just go to the station and wait a small amount of time each time I ride the subway. Even late at night.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:38 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm curious how they can be better with the "on time" thing, with NYC's subway having such small headway. I never even look at the subway schedule, I just go to the station and wait a small amount of time each time I ride the subway. Even late at night.
Your weird. What fantasy and do you live in?

Old 10-12-2017, 08:12 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yea, NFC is certainly the way to go because of it's versatility and future-proofing. It's already been deployed in other systems in the world and is slated for deployment in several places. It's a head scratcher to see the MTA spend money on a barcode pilot program as it falls short of NFC in pretty much every way possible while still having to go through the general expense and time of having to overhaul an entire system. This is ridiculous.
You missed his point. The writer of the article may have no technical background, and the MTA maybe using NFC.

Old 10-13-2017, 01:32 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Real life

Now, the subway does have service disruptions of course, like the weekend service changes, but when those things aren't in effect, there is very little wait for the subway. Even at 3AM with a 15-20 minute headway, you'll be waiting for half of that time on average.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:15 PM

360 posts, read 372,288 times
An app similar to apple wallet might be convenient.
There are many metro cards on the ground now and the stations can be cleaner without old tickets everywhere.
It might also be cheaper for MTA.

Old 10-13-2017, 08:44 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Not reality thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Real life

Now, the subway does have service disruptions of course, like the weekend service changes, but when those things aren't in effect, there is very little wait for the subway. Even at 3AM with a 15-20 minute headway, you'll be waiting for half of that time on average.
Yah thats why I just had to wait 19 minutes for a train at 8pm?!?!

When I take the train in the early am its often over a 20 minute wait and then the train goes local. And the poor people who have to transfer. That could mean waiting twice 20 minutes. Takes me forever to get home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: