Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:41 PM

10 posts, read 18,838 times

Advertisements

I won the NYC Housing lottery and the latest I can move in is December 14th.

I had to resign my current lease for a year because they needed an answer over the summer if I would stay or not, and I had no idea my status with the housing lottery. I am locked into my lease until end of September, 2018.

My current place is rent stabilized, so I have to follow the rules of rent stabilized apartments in NYC, which is that once I find a subletter, I submit to management and they have 30 days to approve/deny. I think I shot myself in the foot because I mentioned to management via e-mail I won the lottery, so they know this will no longer be my primary residence, thus they can deny my sublet request (according to the research I've done).

I can request to "assign" my lease to someone with approval to management, they have 30 days to approve/deny the request, which seems like the better option.

Based on it being October 24th and my place has been on the market for 5-6 days, I am getting nervous about the 30 day approval process (since I haven't found anyone yet).

Anyone else dealt with winning the NYC housing lottery and being stuck in your current lease? Are there any options at all, will the lottery let you defer for a bit longer or anything?

Anyone need a place in Sunset Park!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2017, 06:54 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,854,441 times
RUN, don't walk. Tell your landlord you now have a rent-stabalized apartment that you won via lottery. The worst thing to happen is they will take you to housing court, but YOU WILL WIN and get out of the lease. Just keep whatever you were paying in escargot, and it should all be good!!! In case anything happens, which it shouldn't because Big Bill has made it adadamently clear that those of us who win these housing lotteries won't get butt-farked by predatory landlords anymore. Try to be as civil as possible and offer to find a new tenant though. Congrats. Many of us are very jealous to be in your position.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,768 times
Give up your rent stabilized apartment I'm sure the management would want it back. If not I'm sure you will find someone to take over the lease of its significantly cheaper than market price. In the mean time let them know you are moving

Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Just keep whatever you were paying in escargot
I like to keep my money in a nice Pot-au-feu

Old 10-24-2017, 07:15 PM

quote:
I like to keep my money in a nice Pot-au-feu

I know that in France you can keep your apartments for like 99 years or so?

Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 PM

oh a giant DERP!

Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 PM

59 posts, read 64,872 times
How long have you been there? They surely can increase the rent based upon the vacancy allowance?

Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,147,768 times
Quote:
RUN, don't walk. Tell your landlord you now have a rent-stabalized apartment that you won via lottery. The worst thing to happen is they will take you to housing court, but YOU WILL WIN and get out of the lease. Just keep whatever you were paying in escargot, and it should all be good!!! In case anything happens, which it shouldn't because Big Bill has made it adadamently clear that those of us who win these housing lotteries won't get butt-farked by predatory landlords anymore. Try to be as civil as possible and offer to find a new tenant though. Congrats. Many of us are very jealous to be in your position.
The current place is rent stabilized

Old 10-24-2017, 07:30 PM

3,730 posts, read 3,463,351 times
Quote:
oh a giant DERP!
lol

Old 10-24-2017, 07:49 PM

10 posts, read 18,838 times
Thanks everyone - I've been in apartment for a little over a year, and had building had SERIOUS issues when we were moving in... aka it was brand new and a few days before everyone's move in date they said it wasn't ready so we were homeless for a week - then go to move in a week after the move in date, no heat or hot water, for an entire month.

I've been dealing with a funky smell in the bathroom, haven't complained about it in a while to them because they don't believe me (even though they swaped out my toilet after a month of complaining) and I'm never home when the super is around to deal with it. It comes and goes, for no reason, hard to nail down.

I flat out asked my management company if I could be absolved of the lease, they said "you cannot terminate your lease."

I am wondering if they reject my lease assignment or sublet request once I find someone... then what happens?!

The housing lottery wanted me to sign the new lease TODAY and I asked them to push it back (didn't give a reason) to the end of next week.

I also know that they are having trouble filling the building I'm in because the rent is still high (I want to move to this building for social / work reasons, I'll die alone in Sunset Park) and wondering if that could work to my advantage if I ask for more time if I havent found someone in a week?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City