Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:43 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,890 times

Advertisements

And I don'tget the impression the OP has any of the issues outlined for disability. Again, make a deal, even if it costs you a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2017, 01:43 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
And I don'tget the impression the OP has any of the issues outlined for disability. Again, make a deal, even if it costs you a bit.

None of these off the wall suggestions are going to help OP; she or he does not have enough time for one.

OP shot her or his self in foot by giving LL too much information. Now they know why she/he wants to move and have no real compunction to be nice about things.

Old 10-26-2017, 01:55 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,805 times
OP, get the landlord to evict you , because of noise. He will need to go to court, pay fees, to get you out. If the LL does not want to deal with housing court, LL will agree and break the lease. So get some loud and bass filled reggae and mexican music, and let it rain. Keep the TV on full blast, cook garlic and onions all day, and burn the beans.

After enough complaints, LL would be begging you to leave. make sure you pay the rent!

Old 10-26-2017, 01:58 PM

6,688 posts, read 6,033,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
OP, get the landlord to evict you , because of noise. He will need to go to court, pay fees, to get you out. If the LL does not want to deal with housing court, LL will agree and break the lease. So get some loud and bass filled reggae and mexican music, and let it rain. Keep the TV on full blast, cook garlic and onions all day, and burn the beans.

After enough complaints, LL would be begging you to leave. make sure you pay the rent!
That's inconsiderate towards the neighbors. They don't deserve that shet. Seriously, grow up.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:01 PM

296 posts, read 481,454 times
Arrow lyla45

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinmuse View Post
I won the NYC Housing lottery and the latest I can move in is December 14th.

I had to resign my current lease for a year because they needed an answer over the summer if I would stay or not, and I had no idea my status with the housing lottery. I am locked into my lease until end of September, 2018.

My current place is rent stabilized, so I have to follow the rules of rent stabilized apartments in NYC, which is that once I find a subletter, I submit to management and they have 30 days to approve/deny. I think I shot myself in the foot because I mentioned to management via e-mail I won the lottery, so they know this will no longer be my primary residence, thus they can deny my sublet request (according to the research I've done).

I can request to "assign" my lease to someone with approval to management, they have 30 days to approve/deny the request, which seems like the better option.

Based on it being October 24th and my place has been on the market for 5-6 days, I am getting nervous about the 30 day approval process (since I haven't found anyone yet).

Anyone else dealt with winning the NYC housing lottery and being stuck in your current lease? Are there any options at all, will the lottery let you defer for a bit longer or anything?

Anyone need a place in Sunset Park!?
I won the affordable apartment last year. Broke my lease with the former landlord Legally by submitting to the management 30 days nottice letter of vacating the apartment and copy of my affordable rent lease new apartment on 2 pages. DONE.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:15 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,462,890 times
I'm lucky. My landlord would love nothing more than for me to leave--he'll gut the place and quadruple the rent, but I need a place to go...

Old 10-26-2017, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
I won the affordable apartment last year. Broke my lease with the former landlord Legally by submitting to the management 30 days nottice letter of vacating the apartment and copy of my affordable rent lease new apartment on 2 pages. DONE.

Unless your previous apartment was RS it has no bearing on OP's situation. In fact even if it was that only says said LL was willing to allow early termination of lease, nothing more. All RS leases are standard boilerplate forms; you can get them from Blumberg at any legal store or wherever such forms are sold. Thus all clauses and so forth are standard across the city.

Legally by the way is not a proper noun.

Old 10-26-2017, 05:34 PM

296 posts, read 481,454 times
Arrow lyla45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Unless your previous apartment was RS it has no bearing on OP's situation. In fact even if it was that only says said LL was willing to allow early termination of lease, nothing more. All RS leases are standard boilerplate forms; you can get them from Blumberg at any legal store or wherever such forms are sold. Thus all clauses and so forth are standard across the city.

Legally by the way is not a proper noun.
Nah! It was market rate!

Old 10-26-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliya47 View Post
Nah! It was market rate!

Well there is your answer then.

Rent regulation is a two edged sword. On the one hand it can be good (some may say too good) for tenants. OTOH it locks both parties into boilerplate leases that can only be terminated by a handful of reasons.

In some parts of NYC even market rate leases are becoming difficult to break; the slowing market for rentals above a certain amount and or in areas is likely to blame. That and a LL was fortunate to get someone first or second time; but by subsequent rentals prospective tenants are being picky,

It does not help that for market rate units Brooklyn is overflowing, and more is coming on line or will for the next few years at least.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:49 PM

10 posts, read 18,850 times
Thanks everyone for your messages. I wanted to update that a gentleman reached out to me last night via craigslist, and I have been debating it with my brother who is a lawyer (in DC - labor law - not familiar with NYC tenant laws) and we decided to request approval to assign the lease to this gentleman via e-mail to management.

It's such a crazy process because we all know NYC housing moves FAST - 30 days for management to approve/deny a request is a long time, and I am hoping that they don't actually take 30 days to approve/deny, and that I can ask housing lotto apartment to hold off on signing lease a bit longer.

Anyone have experience with that? They told me I can move in Nov 14, up to Dec 14 - I was supposed to sign lease this week but asked to push to end of next week, but I still might not have an answer on current place until much longer.

I could definitely be overthinking everything, but with all of these moving pieces, I cannot rely on hoping that everything will turn out in my favor and have to make sure to be smart about this with both buildings so that I don't get called a scrub again by a troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City