Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:55 PM

965 posts, read 1,114,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
LOL When you open a thread thinking it's new and see you've posted in it before lol.

The texting walkers aren't nearly as horrible as walking walking around while on facetime or whatever. ugh. They're totally just facetiming some idiot high school friend back from Idaho to show themselves off walking around in the big city. Just stick your arm around between their face and their screen and give the old fashion new york middle finger and go about on your way. If you do it right you might even become internet famous!

Crying at the bold!

Below is one of my favorite fails of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADOPimz3d6w

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,899 times
quote:
I despise when I’m at the linknyc stations and people wanna be at the one I’m at

I use them to charge my E-Cig. The only people I EVER see using them are homeless people though. Although I havent seen them in too many very crowded areas. I do love when someone gives me the stinkeye when i'm standing there while my e-cig is charging

Old 12-01-2017, 04:59 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
What is going on with people? Am seeing more and more people walking down the street with their heads buried in their cell phones, completely oblivious to their surroundings. Got into it this morning on the subway with a lady. Gets on with her face buried in her cell phone. Cannot say excuse me and is banging into everyone with her big bag. Walking down the street, just about everyone I passed was walking and texting or walking and looking at their cell phone, refusing to look up. Often times observe people on the subway or whatever to see just what they're doing. Sadly many are just scrolling through the same apps over and over again. Have we become so detached as people that we cannot interact without a cell phone in our hands?
Walking and texting can be dangerous if one is not aware of their surroundings. But sitting on a subway train, looking at one's cellphone seems to have replaced most reading newspapers or books which used to be more common years ago.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:03 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,084,455 times
Catching these morons is why they invented those sidewalk entrances to the cellars.

Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Walking and texting can be dangerous if one is not aware of their surroundings. But sitting on a subway train, looking at one's cellphone seems to have replaced most reading newspapers or books which used to be more common years ago.
Yes. If one observes passengers in a subway car, will see about 90% are on their cellphone. Problem is they become completely engrossed with them and cannot focus on anything else. Definitely done on purpose to ignore others, but can be problematic for so many reasons.

Old 12-03-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Yes. If one observes passengers in a subway car, will see about 90% are on their cellphone. Problem is they become completely engrossed with them and cannot focus on anything else. Definitely done on purpose to ignore others, but can be problematic for so many reasons.
Being that there is no wifi in the tunnels I am always amazed how concentrated people are on their phones for such long periods of time. But again it is not dangerous like crossing a street while texting and looking down at one's phone instead of watching the traffic.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 AM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Being that there is no wifi in the tunnels I am always amazed how concentrated people are on their phones for such long periods of time. But again it is not dangerous like crossing a street while texting and looking down at one's phone instead of watching the traffic.
Oh I dunno about not being dangerous. Have so many that want to use both hands for texting or whatever or playing card games and will not hold on. When the train stops suddenly can see them trying not to go flying into the next person.

Old 12-03-2017, 10:49 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,135,160 times
Quote:
13 cool things you can do on your phone without internet

Also, if you want to be slightly old school but still be on your phone, you can use the OverDrive app to borrow digital books from the NYPL. Download and read them anytime before the due date.

Maybe some of those people who can't seem to look away from their phones in the tunnel are actually reading library books!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:45 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,238,729 times
Quote:
I get service most of the time while on the train.

Old 12-04-2017, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
13 cool things you can do on your phone without internet

Also, if you want to be slightly old school but still be on your phone, you can use the OverDrive app to borrow digital books from the NYPL. Download and read them anytime before the due date.

Maybe some of those people who can't seem to look away from their phones in the tunnel are actually reading library books!
I find reading long articles or ebooks on such a small screen as found on smartphones to be very taxing on my eyes. (So it has nothing to do with old school as reading on tablet is fine for me.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I get service most of the time while on the train.
I guess it may depend on the subway line/s you are using.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: