Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2008, 08:41 PM

4 posts, read 32,869 times

Advertisements

I'm a high school Junior from Suffolk, Long Island, and as far as I can remember, I've always wanted to go to school in the city. Something about being out of the house, yet close enough to come back if needed. I've also always wanted to be a teacher, since day one. I know that NYU has a great teaching program, but that is waaay out of my price league and the hopes of me getting accepted are not high. I'm afraid that goes for St. John's and CW Post.

My question is, what CUNY school would be the best for a teaching degree? I know Hunter and other schools offer the majors, but are they capable of teaching you well and getting you a job?

Thanks much for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 PM

313 posts, read 1,054,224 times
I think Queens College would be your best bet. Hunter also has a good rep, I believe. CCNY's programs are hit and miss, it seems. I got a master's there, and found the program pretty rigorous, but others found it too easy.

Also look into Lehman- I know people who went through their grad program in ed, and found it to be of good quality.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,253,564 times
My husband is a teacher and I have heard good things through him about Hunter and City College.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:03 PM

4 posts, read 32,869 times
My teacher told me that if I want to get a job on the island, my best bet is to go to a school on the island. But if I stay home, I'll go insane, and going out East is pretty much a step backwards. Any thoughts on that?

Old 03-19-2008, 10:14 PM

127 posts, read 636,015 times
No matter what you might hear about a teacher shortage, getting a teaching job on Long Island straight out of school is nearly impossible, whether you stay on the island for school or not.

You want to work in the suburbs, in a safe community that values education, where the students aren't out of control and are (mostly) serious about their futures, and where the parents take an active role in the process from beginning to end. I don't blame you. Here's the problem: those are the jobs every teacher wants.

There are a ridiculous number of teachers -- something like 100,000, I think -- in the NYC school system. Most of them work in lousy schools with out-of-control kids from broken homes who can't read. Sure, some of them are idealistic enough to want to deal with that sort of challenge for their entire careers, but many if not most are just putting in their time till they can get the cushy job in the suburbs. So when Syosset School District is looking for a high school English teacher, and they get a bunch of resumes from city teachers with a few years of experience, why would they even consider some kid fresh out of Hofstra?

To make things worse, since LI teaching jobs are so desirable, teachers tend not to leave. So in any given year, there aren't likely to be more than a few openings in any given district. In the city, on the other hand, turnover rates are horrendous -- so the city is where the bulk of the openings are going to be.

Now, if you student-teach at a school on the island and they love you, *and* it just so happens that a position is opening up next year, then you *might* luck out. But I'm not sure it's likely enough that it's worth basing your choice of school entirely upon that possibility. And if you're set on being a teacher and not moving out of the area, I'd try to get used to the idea of starting out in the city schools, because like it or not, that's what people do. Good luck.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:18 PM

127 posts, read 636,015 times
Also, Queens College is as good as any other in the CUNY system, but it's not going to satisfy your desire to go to school "in the city." Flushing isn't terribly urban (relatively speaking) and it's not near the city. If that's important to you, check out the schools that are actually in the city like Hunter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City