Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 05:24 AM

2 posts, read 3,257 times

Advertisements

I am considering buying a co-op in Glen Oaks (seems like a great area and is affordable) but was wondering what the commute to Manhattan is like.

I know there is an express bus but is it reliable or would it be a long commute into the city?

Also, if I wanted to take the LIRR [Little Neck] - would I be able to find parking on a daily basis or would that be a struggle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 06:44 AM

12,788 posts, read 8,283,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA1989 View Post
I am considering buying a co-op in Glen Oaks (seems like a great area and is affordable) but was wondering what the commute to Manhattan is like.

I know there is an express bus but is it reliable or would it be a long commute into the city?

Also, if I wanted to take the LIRR [Little Neck] - would I be able to find parking on a daily basis or would that be a struggle?
I am assuming you work in Midtown. Depending on where in Glen Oaks you are you could have access to both the QM5 and QM6 which would give you more frequent service. However the buses can be slow because traffic is worsening all over NYC, so that is a problem everywhere when talking about bus service. I would use both the express bus and the LIRR and see which one you like. If you leave early enough, the express bus could be viable in the morning. The LIRR has its own problems, but the line that you're on is one of the better ones out of the branches, so there's that. As for parking, if you can't find anything in the station, you should be able to find street parking. Little Neck, like Douglaston and Glen Oaks, is a rather sleepy and suburban part of Queens, so traffic usually isn't super crazy with some exceptions.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 3,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I am assuming you work in Midtown. Depending on where in Glen Oaks you are you could have access to both the QM5 and QM6 which would give you more frequent service. However the buses can be slow because traffic is worsening all over NYC, so that is a problem everywhere when talking about bus service. I would use both the express bus and the LIRR and see which one you like. If you leave early enough, the express bus could be viable in the morning. The LIRR has its own problems, but the line that you're on is one of the better ones out of the branches, so there's that. As for parking, if you can't find anything in the station, you should be able to find street parking. Little Neck, like Douglaston and Glen Oaks, is a rather sleepy and suburban part of Queens, so traffic usually isn't super crazy with some exceptions.
Yes, I work in Midtown. Thank you for the great tips - where I'm looking isn't far from the QM6. I'll try both and see what ends up working better. If I can find street parking by the Little Neck station - that may work best.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPA1989 View Post
Yes, I work in Midtown. Thank you for the great tips - where I'm looking isn't far from the QM6. I'll try both and see what ends up working better. If I can find street parking by the Little Neck station - that may work best.
If I were you I'd drive to an area near Union Turnpike where you have access to the QM5 and QM6. It'll give you double the service both to and from Manhattan. I think you'll like Glen Oaks though, but generally speaking most in Northeast Queens in areas like Little Neck and Douglaston opt for the LIRR. It is seen as the professional thing to take, but the QM5 and QM6 covers more areas of Midtown.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:23 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
sometimes it will make sense to get to the E/f line , and get in that way. union turnpike to Rockefeller center is a 35 minute ride on the F.

Old 12-15-2017, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
sometimes it will make sense to get to the E/f line , and get in that way. union turnpike to Rockefeller center is a 35 minute ride on the F.
No it doesn't. The E is full of homeless people and overcrowded, and the F is overcrowded too. Unless you are broke and can't afford the LIRR or the express bus, I see no reason to take the subway and put up with that. Aside from that you aren't including the time needed to get to the subway from Glen Oaks. The OP didn't ask about the subway and likely for a reason. A lot of people living away from the subway don't want to take the subway and I don't blame them. You don't move to areas like Glen Oaks to take a long bus ride to the subway. The express bus is much nicer and cleaned with no homeless. The LIRR branch that the OP would use is also one of the best.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,384 times
Retired I've been in Glen Oaks more than 30 years. Grew up in NHP. My commute depended on WHERE I was going. Brooklyn always LIRR from NHP or FP station but they were becoming impossible for parking. Little Neck line avoids Jamaica bottle neck. East side of Manhattan bus & subway OR parked in Queens near subway. It really depends on your target location. Get on E-F subway and sleep all the way to WTC or take LIRR and change to subway in Penn station or Atlantic Ave Brklyn. BTW, the Main Line of LIRR (Thru Mineola, NHP, etc) will be under a multi-year construction of a third rail and that may or may not affect FP & Bellerose too. Some might just move to the Port Washington line (Little Neck, etc) A lot of the newer condos along LIE in NorthNHP/North Hills area go to Manhasset, Great Neck & NHP stations too.

Last edited by MikeBuildsUSA; 02-16-2018 at 07:22 AM..

Old 02-16-2018, 09:43 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
For this stale post... Everyone rides the f to the city,money or no money. The F runs every 10 minutes.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:47 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,480,599 times
Quote:
For this stale post... Everyone rides the f to the city,money or no money. The F runs every 10 minutes.
When I lived in Hempstead many years ago, I took the N6 bus to the Jamaica subway. I worked at 42nd and Lex.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Uh no. LIRR for those in Douglaston and Little Neck. Express buses for others. You should speak for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City