Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 07:52 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
I hope this fire makes everyone now go out and get rental insurance that doesn't have it already.
You may be a great tenant but all it takes is one negligent neighbor to ********* over big time.
Its well worth the $120, I pay a year for piece of mind.
Yes, definitely. You hope to never have to use renter's insurance but you never know what may happen and it costs relatively little. I've actually been involved in a fire (not in NYC) and had friends involved in a fire (in NYC) and renter's insurance helped to cover property loss (furniture, electronics, clothes, etc) as well as the cost of temporary accommodations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2018, 08:13 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Maybe, but they could have ..and should have.... taken the kid away from the negligent mother.

I know it's a sign of old age but when I was a kid they regularly removed kids from negligent parents and expelled troublemakers from schools. They don't do any of that stuff anymore.They just let it all unfold.
It's easy to Monday morning quarterback, but removing children from their parents does serious damage to families and has to be the last resort. If ACS was aware of the kid's fascination with fire, they should have at least made sure to intervene and make sure the stove had child-proof knobs. I agree with whoever said ACS is damned if they do and damned if they don't. They can't predict the future. Removing 25% of kids in NYC and giving them to foster parents would surely do way more harm than good. These are interesting reads:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/21/n...jane-crow.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/o...ollection&_r=0

I know someone who was investigated by ACS -- she was leaving her younger kids in the care of the older one in the evening to go to work (not ideal but supposed to be temporary) and her neighbor reported her. The investigation went on for a few months and she quit that job, and eventually found one during school hours but got behind in the rent and was evicted a few months ago and is now essentially homeless. It's a tragedy, and now the eviction is on her record and it's almost impossible to find another apartment.

I bet most people who were kids in the 70s and 80s were very much neglected by today's standards (we definitely were). Our parents didn't know where we were most of the time, but a lot of people talk about how parents now are too protective and are nostalgic for that era.

Old 01-12-2018, 09:03 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
does anyone have a link to the "notice to sue" filing? I don't even know what the heck that is, it's not a complaint or summons, sounds like a PR news release without any substance.

Old 01-12-2018, 10:58 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
So this mother, likely not working but getting welfare, foodstamps, healthcare and free housing (so basically everything paid for, living in an ultra-expensive city no less where everyone else who is responsible has to work their butt off just to survive), all paid for by the taxpayers, pops out...what...4 children (and likely more in the future) and one of them ends up killing twelve people and now the same taxpayers are going to have to pay millions more in these lawsuits?

What exactly is someone like her’s purpose to society is again?

Does no one else see the absolute craziness of how our system is setup? How long can society function like this before breaking down when you have the freeloaders out-reproducing the productive members of society?

Old 01-12-2018, 11:12 AM

782 posts, read 527,368 times
This is the NY Daily News reporting on the matter. Note the lawyer is saying he's not really sure whether the ACS was actually monitoring the family.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3752660

Quote:
Vilensky said that while he’s not sure if ACS was in fact monitoring the firebug’s mom, he has to make the allegation in a notice of claim within 90 days, or risk not being able to file a lawsuit.

“I always err on the side of my client,” he said.

Vilensky’s clients say they saw city agents visiting the mother’s apartment in the past.

“They were well aware that the mother might not have been the greatest mother in terms of watching that child,” he said. “If ACS was involved, then they didn’t do the greatest job in the world in protecting that child.”

Old 01-12-2018, 11:22 AM

12,199 posts, read 7,225,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayInYoLane View Post
Fire bugs Poppa probably banged this animal like a screen door to produce THE HUMAN TORCH and now WHITEY HAS TO PAY ??
Agreed. How does responsible citizens like us that have get up to work everyday, pay their (heavy) taxes and have to worry about the (crazy) rents, get to opt out of this unfair system that treats them like work animals but certain freeloading groups get to sit around and make lots of babies and when they do something wrong (which is often), the same dumb taxpayers have to pay for that too?

Unfreakinbelievable.

Old 01-12-2018, 11:56 AM

444 posts, read 387,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I guess neither of you detected my sarcasm... I predicted this is another thread, so no need for the classroom lecture. I know the routine. That doesn't mean that I agree that the city's taxpayers should have to cough up money for the incompetence of the mother. Imbecile...
I got your sarcasm. My post wasn't a lecture, it was a statement.

People lost loved ones and possessions because of the City's inability to make a hard decision and take a child away from it's mother.

For whatever reason if this kid does in fact have some fascination with fire therapy is needed. Besides that, unless Mom had crap all over the kid is savvy enough to not just turn on the stove but also get something to watch it burn.

We don't know what CPS knew. What if CPS knew the kid was a Firestarter and thought he would grow out of it like many kids do? What if the combination of lazy parenting and bleeding heart, or heavy case load CPS contributed to this?

There should be accountability. Being parent comes with an amazing responsibility and she failed big time. Your kid is starting fires and you can't stop him or her? You don't get an ounce of free time. That kid is with you 24/7. She didn't do that because she didn't take it seriously and this is the result. The issue is so bad CPS is called? Damn right her kid should have been taken away.

This is a lesson for other parents that think they can do this and parent this way.

My mom and dad would have burn my hand if I was starting fires.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:02 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
I got your sarcasm. My post wasn't a lecture, it was a statement.

People lost loved ones and possessions because of the City's inability to make a hard decision and take a child away from it's mother.

For whatever reason if this kid does in fact have some fascination with fire therapy is needed. Besides that, unless Mom had crap all over the kid is savvy enough to not just turn on the stove but also get something to watch it burn.

We don't know what CPS knew. What if CPS knew the kid was a Firestarter and thought he would grow out of it like many kids do? What if the combination of lazy parenting and bleeding heart, or heavy case load CPS contributed to this?

There should be accountability. Being parent comes with an amazing responsibility and she failed big time. Your kid is starting fires and you can't stop him or her? You don't get an ounce of free time. That kid is with you 24/7. She didn't do that because she didn't take it seriously and this is the result. The issue is so bad CPS is called? Damn right her kid should have been taken away.

This is a lesson for other parents that think they can do this and parent this way.

My mom and dad would have burn my hand if I was starting fires.
If I was a victim of her incompetence, I would name her as part of the suit, even if she has nothing, and see if she could be prosecuted in some way. She definitely should bare some responsibility for this.

I don't fault ACS, not unless they knew more than what we know so far and didn't act. As others have said, removing a child from the home is a long and difficult process. We also have to remember that we have a homeless crisis here, with plenty of families with kids having no place to live, so it's easy to say remove the child, but I doubt that there are tons of people lined up wanting to take a three year old who is known to have issues with starting fires. It's like taking the kid out of the pot and putting him into the fire (excuse the pun).

Old 01-12-2018, 12:11 PM

444 posts, read 387,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
If I was a victim of her incompetence, I would name her as part of the suit, even if she has nothing, and see if she could be prosecuted in some way. She definitely should bare some responsibility for this.

I don't fault ACS, not unless they knew more than what we know so far and didn't act. As others have said, removing a child from the home is a long and difficult process. We also have to remember that we have a homeless crisis here, with plenty of families with kids having no place to live, so it's easy to say remove the child, but I doubt that there are tons of people lined up wanting to take a three year old who is known to have issues with starting fires. It's like taking the kid out of the pot and putting him into the fire (excuse the pun).
But taking him out of the house, even if it was for therapy session might have helped. Did they do anything? It sounds like they filed a report. I know that finding him a foster home would be hard but maybe being IN that home was part of the problem.

I fault CPS/ACS because they didn't take it seriously.

Old 01-12-2018, 12:52 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc718 View Post
But taking him out of the house, even if it was for therapy session might have helped. Did they do anything? It sounds like they filed a report. I know that finding him a foster home would be hard but maybe being IN that home was part of the problem.

I fault CPS/ACS because they didn't take it seriously.
It would be the city's fault if something happened to the kid, but it didn't.

The city has a role in protecting kids from their parents, not the other way around
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City