Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2018, 03:05 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times

Advertisements

So My neighbors has what he calls get togethers every weekend.
I call it a party as you hear people yelling and screaming, loud music, banging on the walls etc. They go on to 6am or so some Saturday nights. I have tried to talk to him, he just doesn't seem to care. I have also contacted management about a half dozen times, spoke to the super, called 311. I'm really out of options, sick of being kept up all night or waken up, and am not sure what to do at this point. Moving is not an option for me. Any advise besides that?
Should I contact one of those free lawyers? Threaten to sue management for negligence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2018, 03:27 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Where do you live, out of curiosity?

Old 01-14-2018, 07:31 AM

139 posts, read 152,107 times
I was in this situation - I had to complain relentlessly to management and 311. I only did 311 for documentation purposes but it did actually work once.

The other thing I had to do - my neighbors are pretty trashy and gave me other reasons to complain about them as well that I probably wouldn't have bothered complaining about if they hadn't been total jerks when I tried to ask them nicely to not keep me up all night. Find anything else you can to complain about the neighbors. Dog barks too much? Dog poops/pees in the hallway(yeah mine did that)? Too many people living in the apartment? etc etc...

I sent certified letters to my landlord's legal department too because my landlord in general is pretty unresponsive. I noticed a pretty big change after the certified letters but I had sent a few of them including the one about having too many people in the apartment. When I sent the letters I looked up the housing/noise code and cited that in the letter.

I think this goes without saying that you have to be okay with your neighbor disliking you. People who do this kind of thing and think it's not a big deal/you should just put up with it don't take kindly to being asked/forced to change their behavior.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:18 AM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Yep... I had it out with my neighbor yesterday. She lets her dogs bark to no end and yesterday I just lost it. We had a shouting match in the hallway and I got it all out. I told her she had too many dogs and had no control over them whatsoever and that she had driven all of her neighbors out. She didn't like the idea of me bringing up her dogs and called herself threatening me. I'm considering legal action if it continues because I've heard a few people in the building complaining about her dogs and their excessive barking.

Given how sarcastic I can be, I really pissed her off. I said a lot more than what I wrote above and she was really pissed.... Basically insinuated that she was ghetto, which she vehemently denied and took offense to. Then she told me she's a good person, so I told her, yeah you're a good person, so let's see... I left it like that as if to say, so I'm going to give you enough rope to hang yourself and since she basically bad mouthed other neighbors here, I'm sure she has plenty of enemies now. When more people move in, if management can't keep them because of her dogs, they'll likely want her out and I'll be glad to assist in any way possible to get rid of her.

She claims she pays $1800 a month which is more than I pay and since her apartment isn't bigger than others here, that tells me that management doesn't like her already if what she says is true. She has gotten into an argument with everyone including the super. Her dogs dark anytime anyone comes into the building, no matter how quiet they are, and she sits back and lets them as if it is cute. We have another lady who has two dogs and overall they are well trained. Only one barks occasionally when she isn't home, but I told her about the problem and she has since addressed it. This lady though... She thinks it's ok to house-sit other peoples' dogs, and we're supposed to put up with it. Then she told me that she has a medical condition that allows her to have dogs, but I don't think she is allowed to have that many dogs. She must have at least three or four dogs barking all at once.

When anyone gets food deliveries, the dogs go crazy and she sits there and lets them bark. I told her about all of that since she acts as if she doesn't know and that she needs to stop blaming everyone else for her dogs and take responsibility and get them trained.

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 01-14-2018 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-14-2018, 09:02 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
So My neighbors has what he calls get togethers every weekend.
I call it a party as you hear people yelling and screaming, loud music, banging on the walls etc. They go on to 6am or so some Saturday nights. I have tried to talk to him, he just doesn't seem to care. I have also contacted management about a half dozen times, spoke to the super, called 311. I'm really out of options, sick of being kept up all night or waken up, and am not sure what to do at this point. Moving is not an option for me. Any advise besides that?
Should I contact one of those free lawyers? Threaten to sue management for negligence?
i would go to legal aid, and ask them how to proceed. u should take your phone, and record video of the noise after u made a complaint to 311, so you can present it to the person who's assisting you

Old 01-14-2018, 09:04 AM

Thanks for the above replies.

I actually know my neighbor doesn't like me and I was told "Better get use to it" Thats when the emails to management and calls to 311 started. I use the calls to 311 for document purposes as well. Which is why I now only email management for proof. I've sent them video's of the noise and have copied what the quiet hours in our lease states, this just don't reply.
I also complain about other unsafe issues in the building frequently, management know I'm not one to sit quiet. I pay my rent...I'd like a safe and civil place to live.

I'm by no means a an old cranky lady I go out and have fun but I don't bring the party home. If I'm getting home at 3-4am from a night out I expect to be able to go to bed now be up till 6-7am when the neighbors get-together ends. I should not have to plan my sleeping schedule around the one person.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:05 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
When i lived on the East side of Washington Heights i had a neighbor like yours. I remember he or she started blasting music at 8 pm Friday only for the music to stop on Sunday at 6am. I am talking about loud music. I had to leave to the west side of Washington Heights. Way better!

The building is ok but the super is incompetent and lazy.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:24 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,890,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Thanks for the above replies.

I actually know my neighbor doesn't like me and I was told "Better get use to it" Thats when the emails to management and calls to 311 started. I use the calls to 311 for document purposes as well. Which is why I now only email management for proof. I've sent them video's of the noise and have copied what the quiet hours in our lease states, this just don't reply.
I also complain about other unsafe issues in the building frequently, management know I'm not one to sit quiet. I pay my rent...I'd like a safe and civil place to live.

I'm by no means a an old cranky lady I go out and have fun but I don't bring the party home. If I'm getting home at 3-4am from a night out I expect to be able to go to bed now be up till 6-7am when the neighbors get-together ends. I should not have to plan my sleeping schedule around the one person.
no one should be blasting music past 10pm. its ratchet

Old 01-14-2018, 09:32 AM

I'm pretty sure with tomorrow being a holiday, I will be in for the same thing tonight. Over the holidays it was 4 straight nights of it and I was sick. Was not happy being stuck home sick having to listen to dudes shouting and music music blasting.

Old 01-14-2018, 09:37 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,856,184 times
Is this in the affordable housing lottery unit you recently just won?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City