Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:35 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,966,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC305 View Post
Growing up in the suburbs, "the city" referred to any place we went to in Manhattan and that included the museums on the UWS and UES and the hospitals on the UES. We never had a reason to go to Harlem or further uptown.

When I moved into the city, among my peer group, we didn't really think about upper Manhattan much. I think it was generally understood that anytime someone mentioned living in Manhattan, it was below 96th Street. Maybe a little further north on the west side to include Columbia. Harlem and Washington Heights were considered akin to the outer boroughs.
Serious question: what’s the functional or structural difference between Harlem/Washington Heights and UWS? It’s not as if there aren’t colleges, museums and other cultural institutions up there. You don’t cross a body of water. All the street addresses are NY, NY. Phone numbers are 212. “I never had a reason to go there” doesn’t cut it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 AM

782 posts, read 527,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Serious question: what’s the functional or structural difference between Harlem/Washington Heights and UWS? It’s not as if there aren’t colleges, museums and other cultural institutions up there. You don’t cross a body of water. All the street addresses are NY, NY. Phone numbers are 212. “I never had a reason to go there” doesn’t cut it.
You're taking this way too seriously. I just relayed the way we used the phrase "the city". If we never went up to Harlem and Washington Heights, there was no reason to talk about it. It's not like I'm arguing how others should use the word.

Old 01-22-2018, 11:20 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,723,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Principle Lewis View Post
Your 100% right. I actually meant below 14th Street. I don’t really consider Chelsea or gramercy “downtown”.
I don't consider it "downtown" either,

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Not Downtown in the NYC sense, but Downtown in the sense of every other city I think they are.
but it has to be by default because it's not midtown. It's just bizzarro world which is why all the freaks ended up there

Old 01-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Calm down. It’s all “made up”.

Speaking of making stuff up, no way that LIC is bigger than DTLA. I’m not even sure that it’s adding as much as DTLA which is a much larger area. Even if it’s added more, dtla started off with so much more that lic certainly hasn’t caught up.
Sure if you want to generalize absolutely everything is made up. But there are norms that are followed everywhere and in NYC in Manhattan there is downtown, midtown, and uptown. You can make up new rules and take your ball with you all like, doesn't mean anybody will start changing everything to suit you

In terms of size, you'd be surprised at how big LIC has become. We're talking square footage of high rises here, do you have a number on the footage for downtown LA high rises?

Old 01-22-2018, 04:59 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
To the OP, if you're trying to equate the use of "Downtown" to "CBD" then New York City has three, FiDi, Midtown and Downtown Brooklyn. And that's how they should be used, many other metro areas have multiple "downtowns" such as LA has Century City along with Los Angeles City, Kansas City has Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas. It's just that in most of those cases they are separate "cities" in the census description.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
To the OP, if you're trying to equate the use of "Downtown" to "CBD" then New York City has three, FiDi, Midtown and Downtown Brooklyn. And that's how they should be used, many other metro areas have multiple "downtowns" such as LA has Century City along with Los Angeles City, Kansas City has Kansas City, Missouri and Kansas City, Kansas. It's just that in most of those cases they are separate "cities" in the census description.
There's more than just 3

Queens has 2 by itself

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2018, 05:31 PM

991 posts, read 1,770,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
There's more than just 3

Queens has 2 by itself
Well now you're getting into the realm of "Commercial Center" vs "Central Business District" and for the most part the Queens areas are Commercial Centers rather than Central Business District, even though there is an office tower in LIC it's not a CBD.

Old 01-22-2018, 05:38 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Well now you're getting into the realm of "Commercial Center" vs "Central Business District" and for the most part the Queens areas are Commercial Centers rather than Central Business District, even though there is an office tower in LIC it's not a CBD.
For Queens, Flushing is the CBD. Elmhurst/Rego Park would be the commercial center. Jamaica is the municipal center. LIC is a bedroom community for Midtown Manhattan.

Old 01-22-2018, 06:18 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
https://www.nycedc.com/service/centr...ness-districts

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-22-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
For Queens, Flushing is the CBD. Elmhurst/Rego Park would be the commercial center. Jamaica is the municipal center. LIC is a bedroom community for Midtown Manhattan.
Flushing is definitely not the CBD of Queens. It's more like the Korean capital of NYC and second Chinese Capital of NYC. The municipal center is Kew Gardens/Jamaica because that's where the borough facilities are. There isn't a CBD in Queens, there are three main high density economic activity zones Flushing, LIC, Jamaica Center and a bunch of smaller ones
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City