Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:19 PM

139 posts, read 151,997 times

Advertisements

I live right where you are moving. It sounds like you are moving into one of the nicer buildings on this block so that is good because the main problem here is that in my building there are too many trashy people. By trashy I mean the type who blast their music at any hour without regard to their neighbors. It's safe though, this neighborhood used to be full of drug gangs but that was before my time(~4 years) here. My landlord is also a slumlord and doesn't take care of the building - we are frequently without heat/hot water. Those are my only gripes with my living situation - yes they are big ones and I'm working on changing this! The neighborhood is fine though.

I'm a 34 year old white woman fwiw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 03:22 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Does living in one of those 6 family buildings that you see a lot of in Brooklyn decrease your chance of having sh***ty neighbors, as opposed to the 6 story tenement buildings in Harlem?

It seems like people have more complaints about bad neighbors in Harlem and Washington Heights than in gentrifying Brooklyn neighborhoods.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:37 PM

3,134 posts, read 2,729,934 times
When I lived up there (technically in Sugar Hill), I felt there was some slight sketchiness around the edges of the area. Like, the block of the 145th St stop on the 1 later at night was a little questionable. If you are reasonably street-smart, it'll be okay. You probably won't be partying with your friends in the neighborhood, though--there's not a lot of (organized, commercial) nightlife.

$1500 for just a room seems a little high unless you are in a nice new doorman building.

Old 01-21-2018, 03:40 PM

3,134 posts, read 2,729,934 times
(It is, though, a nice integrated area, which is harder to find in NYC than you might think.)

Old 01-21-2018, 04:44 PM

20 posts, read 53,152 times
Yes it is a doorman building. Right now in my country I don't live in the safest neighborhood neither so it should be fine.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:46 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Does living in one of those 6 family buildings that you see a lot of in Brooklyn decrease your chance of having sh***ty neighbors, as opposed to the 6 story tenement buildings in Harlem?

It seems like people have more complaints about bad neighbors in Harlem and Washington Heights than in gentrifying Brooklyn neighborhoods.
Those six-unit buildings in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan are the tenements. The six-story apartment buildings uptown were built for middle-class families. They tend to feature larger units, elevators and much nicer lobbies/common spaces.

Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,478,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Those six-unit buildings in Brooklyn and Lower Manhattan are the tenements. The six-story apartment buildings uptown were built for middle-class families. They tend to feature larger units, elevators and much nicer lobbies/common spaces.
Aren't a lot of the 6 story buildings in Manhattan walkups?

I know not all 6 story buildings are tenements, Kensington and Flatbush have a lot of nice six story buildings with elevators. Maybe those are considered "garden apartments" but I'm not sure.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:23 AM

453 posts, read 317,604 times
Default plop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
I, a Black man, like Hamilton Heights. It’s pretty safe, and the neighborhood amenities are increasing quickly, but it might not be the best FIRST neighborhood. It isn’t convenient to the Financial District, and is still pretty family oriented. There’s a very good chance your social axis will be downtown or in Brooklyn. Hamilton Heights is a good choice for someone who knows the city and knows what they want, but I would probably recommend one of the nicer Brooklyn neighborhoods with a large black population, like Ft Greene, Clinton Hill or Bed-Stuy...maybe even Crown Heights. Your commute to the financial district would be just as easy, if not easier.
This comment is weird, not convenient to the financial district? there is the A train express to Fulton or chambers will take her there express in less than 30 minutes. And commute from fort Greene or Clinton hill is not easier, you have to walk a lot to reach a train that will take you there.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:28 AM

453 posts, read 317,604 times
Default consider this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma22 View Post
The place is very big, beautiful and bright. I'll keep on searching but I think I will eventually end up here because I really like it.
Well consider this, you are not going to find someone who will rent to you for that short amount of time. when you find apartments rented for short amount of time there is usually a fee attached, if the building is nice and all utilities are included then i dont think the price is unreasonable.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:41 AM

983 posts, read 931,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma22 View Post
Thank you for your reply!

So the place I have found is $1500 per months. I have my private room and bathroom. All the utilities are included and also a gym access.

Does it sound expensive to you?
The market has gone up in neighborhoods like harlem and hamilton heights, but even now, 1500/month is too high for anything shared.

If it was 1500 for a 1 bedroom apartment (i.e. unshared) or a studio in a new building with lots of perks included (i.e. gym, internet, and heat included, like mine is, for 1,480) then it may be closer to reasonable, but not if for something shared.

However it isn't INSANELY high; if it's a nice, clean, new building with good staff and no troublesome neighbors it may be worth it. It's not so high that I wouldn't consider it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City