Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 02:44 AM

11,201 posts, read 9,109,368 times

Advertisements

LOL. Are you planning on AirBnBing the other 2 apts??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 05:48 AM

1,339 posts, read 1,692,106 times
The people who are telling OP he will get an apartment should be ashamed of themselves.

Old 02-06-2018, 06:57 AM

576 posts, read 1,548,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WANTNYCAPART View Post
Hi everyone,

i've been selected with a log of a single digit which is nuts to me LOL
anyway, it's for 3 bedroom but i'm single and only interested in 1 bedroom.

will they disqualify me ? or will they offer me the 3 bedroom anyway (which would be silly )

I wanted to know if anyone has any info for this place or anything i should know about

Thanks all.

this is the second time i'm selected.
they are asking a 200 dollars money order yikes by 28th to be on waiting list
who knows maybe he'll meet a female with 3 kids and get married by the time they get to him.. I guess he's wrong for having options? I can tell you you will NOT get the apartment if you do not meet the criteria they set forth which i believe is 5 people or parent and 2 kids of opposite sex nor will they give you a 1 bedroom in lieu of the 3 bedroom.. good luck on whatever you decide..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:43 AM

6,696 posts, read 6,060,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadypinesma View Post
The people who are telling OP he will get an apartment should be ashamed of themselves.

I hate to break the OP's bubble, but they're not going to give him the three bedroom - at least not as a single person. It was clearly explained to me at the last three lotteries I was interviewed for that housing is based on family size, and that since I'm one person, I am only eligible for a studio or one bedroom at most.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:01 AM

There is NO PROBLEM applying for an apartment for which you don't qualify right now. It's VERY probable that in 8-10 years OP will meet someone and have kids. That is totally not what I am opposed to.

What I *am* opposed to is a single person who, if he is still single, responding to the ad, paying the money, and basically demanding he gets the apartment as a single person anyway just because he got a low log number. I mean...

Old 02-06-2018, 08:24 AM

6,696 posts, read 6,060,517 times
Quote:
There is NO PROBLEM applying for an apartment for which you don't qualify right now. It's VERY probable that in 8-10 years OP will meet someone and have kids. That is totally not what I am opposed to.

What I *am* opposed to is a single person who, if he is still single, responding to the ad, paying the money, and basically demanding he gets the apartment as a single person anyway just because he got a low log number. I mean...
Back in the day, in NYC, no one cared how large your family was - you were able to get whatever apartments as long as you can afford them. Those days are long gone...

Old 02-06-2018, 08:59 AM

7,906 posts, read 7,921,387 times
Quote:
He was selected. You’re not comprehending what is being told to him. He absolutely should tell them he’s a single person and needs a 1 bedroom. If his income qualifies and they have one, he should get it

Old 02-06-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Back in the day, in NYC, no one cared how large your family was - you were able to get whatever apartments as long as you can afford them. Those days are long gone...
No one is saying to apply for the 3 bedroom. He’s not gonna get a 3 bed, but he might get the 1

Old 02-06-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
He was selected. You’re not comprehending what is being told to him. He absolutely should tell them he’s a single person and needs a 1 bedroom. If his income qualifies and they have one, he should get it
With all due respect...

NO.

He was not selected.

He put himself on the list for a 3 bedroom apartment for which he DOES NOT meet the occupancy requirements. It doesn't matter if he has a log number of 1. He is not getting a three bedroom.

And he's not getting a 1 bedroom either. The list for a 1 bedroom is not open. If the list is not open, he cannot magically transfer this application made for a 3 bedroom to a 1 bedroom.

When you apply for a housing lottery it is made EXPLICITLY CLEAR that you can only apply for one apartment at one time. If he chose the three bedroom, then he's out of luck for all others. Unless he removes himself from this list.

Period.

End of story.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
With all due respect...

NO.

He was not selected.

He put himself on the list for a 3 bedroom apartment for which he DOES NOT meet the occupancy requirements. It doesn't matter if he has a log number of 1. He is not getting a three bedroom.

And he's not getting a 1 bedroom either. The list for a 1 bedroom is not open. If the list is not open, he cannot magically transfer this application made for a 3 bedroom to a 1 bedroom.

When you apply for a housing lottery it is made EXPLICITLY CLEAR that you can only apply for one apartment at one time. If he chose the three bedroom, then he's out of luck for all others. Unless he removes himself from this list.

Period.

End of story.
I misunderstood. Because I don’t know why a single person would apply for a 3 bedroom when they won’t get it. WANT this is dumb on YOUR part. You won’t get this one

Last edited by HellUpInHarlem; 02-06-2018 at 10:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City