Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 05:27 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
73rd and 3rd was more of the black ppl spot back in the day

Now the award would have to go to 23rd and 8th (I'm not counting the outer boroughs).
Don't think Chelsea location has anything on UES for AA customers.

Passed by the 8th and 23rd location last night and the crowd was quite mixed with AAs being rather the minority.

Also that area does have more people open to going to a restaurant like BBQ's than say the UES where it seems a good number avoid it like the plague. Well at least those who live west of Third.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 06:51 PM

329 posts, read 204,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
A taqueria serving corn tortilla tacos with onion and cilantro is not "Tex Mex"

And many of the menus might be a little antojito centric, but the same is likely true of many places in SoCal. I doubt the average taco stand sells menudo.

But even taquerias often sell tlacoyos, tlayudas, cemitas, sopes, tostadas, etc. which are not made of tortilla. Horchata, Tamales, pozole are pretty commonly found in restaurants, among many other things.

You also keep moving the goalposts
Most taquerias here in NYC are "Subways of tacos". I have no idea why you would even try to proclaim NYC as anyting close to a Mexican food mecca. I'm a New Yorker and I understand pride, but let it go dude.. You're starting to sound like that guy in LA who owns a NY slice joint saying NY pizza is good in LA.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:12 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,490,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry88 View Post
Most taquerias here in NYC are "Subways of tacos". I have no idea why you would even try to proclaim NYC as anyting close to a Mexican food mecca. I'm a New Yorker and I understand pride, but let it go dude.. You're starting to sound like that guy in LA who owns a NY slice joint saying NY pizza is good in LA.
I didn't say it was a mecca, but it does very well these days, and I think you're out of touch.

Old 05-25-2018, 08:13 PM

31,927 posts, read 27,007,597 times
Don't know about "Mexican" food, but out on the Rock we've got a place called Real Madrid that packs em in; and no not all the customers are Latino/Hispanic.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
I didn't say it was a mecca, but it does very well these days, and I think you're out of touch.
Sounds like you moved here recently. I will bet you're a transplant.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
If you're pretending that the hundreds of mom and pop Mexican restaurants in all 5 boroughs are the equivalent of "subways", I'm guessing you either don't live around here or are stubborn and want to pretend it's still 1990 . I never trust 2018 join dates, though.

Old 05-25-2018, 11:20 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,404,339 times
Quote:
Ew

I'll keep that in mind!

Come to think if it, there are a lot of BBQ places. Not sure what that guy is talking about.

And there is a ton of Mexican, that's probably one of the city's most popular cuisines now.
Sunset Park got that real Mexican food and there’s a very good Vietnamese spot I go to that has avocado milk shakes. And boy those milk shakes are good! I know what you’re thinking but it taste sweet!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Sunset Park got that real Mexican food and there’s a very good Vietnamese spot I go to that has avocado milk shakes. And boy those milk shakes are good! I know what you’re thinking but it taste sweet!
Avocado milkshakes sound terrible, but I would still check out the Vietnamese spot!

Sunset Park has a ton of real Mexican and Chinese food, but both groups have grown so much that you can find their food throughout South Brooklyn now!

Old 05-26-2018, 08:33 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Quote:
I think you might actually be out of touch. That large Mexican descent population is a fairly recent turn of events for NYC. While you are perfectly right to say NYC is not known for its Mexican cuisine and that it does not compare with Southern California’s, the restaurants are certainly quite good and varied these days.

I’m a transplant mostly from southern California and complained frequently about the lack of good Mexican cuisine here initially. Since then, I’ve gotten to know more of the city’s neighborhoods and the number of real Mexican restaurants have greatly increased.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
If you're pretending that the hundreds of mom and pop Mexican restaurants in all 5 boroughs are the equivalent of "subways", I'm guessing you either don't live around here or are stubborn and want to pretend it's still 1990 . I never trust 2018 join dates, though.
Ok, maybe not "Subways" but more in line of the Panda Express or hipster "Crif Dogs" of tacos.

Again, I don't doubt you can find a pretty good Mexican restaurant if search in the 5 boroughs, but it's not as readily available as it is in So Cal. I live downtown Manhattan, I cringe at the Mexican options and the ones that are here are totally overpriced fusion Mexican and different from authentic Mexican tastes. Just because there are taquerias here doesn't mean they're excellent. Here in NYC, you're more apt to find good Cuban, Puerto Rican or Jamaican food just due to a larger population and proximity through higher rates of immigration here. There simply way more Mexicans in the SW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City