Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2018, 09:02 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
I personally don’t mind my property taxes going up since I’m close to the subway. As long as it means the subway is fixed. My property taxes are extremely low, you have most people not paying anymore than 5k a year close to the subways.

But people will start complaining and screaming about gentrification. That means higher rents and elderly homeowners on a fixed income not be able to afford the change
Yes. They would need to double or maybe even triple your property tax to make it a near perfect system. It is probably more cost effective to just auction it off to the tech industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 09:04 AM

15,864 posts, read 14,487,406 times
Contracts expire.

Next time they do, the MTA should be ready to set up with private contractors to fully replace the union workers with outsourcing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
New Yorkers can't do jack sh|t about existing contracts

Old 05-25-2018, 09:07 AM

I've said this before. Want to raise money for the MTA? Let the MTA sell zoning bonuses, Vacancy deregulaitons for rent regulate apartments, and landmarking exclusions. The developers will be lining up to hand the MTA money.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:09 AM

198 posts, read 119,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
My property taxes are extremely low, you have most people not paying anymore than 5k a year close to the subways.
I live close to the subway; so it's not enough that I paid a premium to do so, now I have to pay higher property taxes too?

Also, being close to the subway doesn't always mean too much; many times when I ask guys to come to my place in Forest Hills (usually they're in Manhattan with the rest of the quality guys) they demand an Uber. Not everybody is willing to take the subway.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:41 AM

766 posts, read 508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riact View Post
I live close to the subway; so it's not enough that I paid a premium to do so, now I have to pay higher property taxes too?

Also, being close to the subway doesn't always mean too much; many times when I ask guys to come to my place in Forest Hills (usually they're in Manhattan with the rest of the quality guys) they demand an Uber. Not everybody is willing to take the subway.
Property taxes go up every year anyway with little to show for it. The past 3 years my taxes have gone up about $500. Property taxes are also deductible up to 10k on your taxes, in my opinion we should have no problem paying into a system 70% of the city uses which raises property values and increases development. I’ll take that over the billions we have been paying into social services. Investment needs to continue in this city or else it’s going to turn into a dump of welfare cases. Tourism also brings revenue and jobs to the city, if mta stays the way it is we will lose tourist.

If someone chooses not to take the subway, that is on them. Maybe they are better suited to live in the surburbs.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:44 AM

5,464 posts, read 5,713,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I've said this before. Want to raise money for the MTA? Let the MTA sell zoning bonuses, Vacancy deregulaitons for rent regulate apartments, and landmarking exclusions. The developers will be lining up to hand the MTA money.
Democrats would block any such proposal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Contracts expire.

Next time they do, the MTA should be ready to set up with private contractors to fully replace the union workers with outsourcing.
Again, majority of the voters want MTA work to be unionized. Majority of NYC residents want to pay for more people to have union jobs as morning greeters getting all the government benefits and pension. Remember, morning greeters are more important than buying new equipment for the MTA, since new equipment does not create union jobs. Also, the majority of New York voters believe that having someone greet you in the morning improves your mood better than actually getting to your destination on time.
Not only that, but the city council wants more minor contracts to not even go to the lowest bidder, but to a company who has a minority or a woman owner. Majority of NYC residents don't know what to do with their own money, so they hand it over to the government to spend it for them.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:54 AM

766 posts, read 508,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post

Again, majority of the voters want MTA work to be unionized. Majority of NYC residents want to pay for more people to have union jobs as morning greeters getting all the government benefits and pension. Remember, morning greeters are more important than buying new equipment for the MTA, since new equipment does not create union jobs.
Not only that, but the city council wants more minor contracts to not even go to the lowest bidder, but to a company who has a minority or a woman owner. Majority of NYC residents don't know what to do with their own money, so they hand it over to the government to spend it for them.
Where do you get this majority nonsense from? Voter turn out is dismal in nyc so the majority never lets their voice be heard. The most vocal are the special interest groups (low income, elderly/disabled), however the largest voice that isn’t heard are the ones lining the pockets (developers and large businesses). And that’s where the middle class gets ignored in this city, Union jobs are the only savior for the middle class in this city. You mess with that and the middle class doesn’t exist, it’s not going away.

They need to just make sure they are more accountable with tax payer dollars. Every time I walk pass a construction site, it’s a crew of about 20 and only two people are actually doing anything. There is no accountability and no one is penalized for stealing time aka tax payer dollars.

Old 05-25-2018, 09:57 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
The increased tax revenue is already built in--transit access drives greater property values and therefore property taxes, more residential density and therefore income tax, more sales activity and therefore sales tax, more corporations to locate their business in the area and therefore various business taxes.

One of the problems is that all of that massive revenue is obfuscated to be sent upstate to the Albany sachems to decide where that revenue goes. They need to be deciding that more of it goes back into this system rather than pet projects that generally have not had a great track record. Some redistribution around the state is fine, but you can't junk the system that helps drive having the funds to redistribute in the first place because that's incredibly stupid. On top of this, Albany and congressional representatives should be in a constant state of preparedness to have projects ready to be funded. It's basically how California as a state has been able to in recent years been able to drive more federal funding to its mass transit works. It certainly doesn't make up the massive difference in federal tax receipts versus federal expenditure for California, and neither will it for New York state, but it at least gets just a bit more.

MTA should get more money to fix the subway. Part of it should also come with reducing the waste and greater transparency. The agency itself needs to be overhauled. How is it that so many capital construction projects from MTA have had such grossly overinflated costs? There have been sundry articles and investigations on several projects that all seemed to yield both purposefully wasteful practices (like in 2010 when it was found that contractors had 200 extra workers, at a cost of $1,000 per worker per day, for no apparent reason) and just plain old poor planning.

Old 05-25-2018, 10:01 AM

37,156 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Quote:

Again, majority of the voters want MTA work to be unionized. Majority of NYC residents want to pay for more people to have union jobs as morning greeters getting all the government benefits and pension. Remember, morning greeters are more important than buying new equipment for the MTA, since new equipment does not create union jobs. Also, the majority of New York voters believe that having someone greet you in the morning improves your mood better than actually getting to your destination on time.
I don't think that's completely true. I believe the majority of NYC residents want there to be secure steady jobs--but for work someone actually does. I don't think you're going to get much sympathy from most people for creating more union jobs that don't do anything. How do you think an average New Yorker would side on if you told them a NYC crew for almost the same work (like running a tunnel boring machine) has two to three times more people that gets the job done just as quickly and safely in developed Western European countries with everyone getting a good, fair wage? A good wage you can draw a lot of sympathy for, but just sheer wastefulness? I think you're not going to get that many people to side with you that those jobs are what they want especially if they're pissed about the state of NYC transit as many, many people are.

Old 05-25-2018, 12:57 PM

At the full state level, that's nonsense. Most of the voters could care less. But the unions can rally enough of they own voters to frighten the politicians into submission. If the voters found out how much the union workers were costing them, they scream for the unions to be crushed.

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City