Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:56 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times

Advertisements

if he did he obviously did not need it , hence his comment about everyone else not needing one .

you know the drill , like it is okay to raise taxes , as long as it is at someone else's income level and not my own
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
I was about to say, I remember when gas hit $5 when I was driving to school. $500/mo wasn't out of the norm for my 1.5 hour commute. If you're driving to Hell's Kitchen for gas, I really don't understand, but I see the business aspect of what the gas station is doing.

It is what it is.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:01 PM

3,672 posts, read 2,752,106 times
I don’t own a car but have a drivers license. Last year was a great time to rent a car and head out of the city. Gas was dirt cheap. We went up to the finger lakes. That was relaxing. California was also a cool road trip.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:10 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
Thanks for proving my point. Even more disturbing that New Yorkers are becoming more obsessed with driving.

One, you need to break that down because out of the five boroughs only really one; Manhattan, is where you don't need a car truly.

OTOH Staten Island, large parts of Brooklyn, Queens and perhaps Bronx are another matter.

Regarding Manhattan there once were far more gas stations than today. So obviously there was a need by someone for all that fuel.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:18 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there you go a non driver commenting about something they don't use or care about !

just like we have drivers too who don't give a rats behind about the cost of public transportation either because they don't use it . or those who tell others don't use the bridges or tunnels if you think the prices are high because they have no reason to use them themselves . .

just nonsense answers!
I'll give you a pass since you're retired and travel a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Did you even own car
Did you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
if he did he obviously did not need it , hence his comment about everyone else not needing one .

you know the drill , like it is okay to raise taxes , as long as it is at someone else's income level and not my own
We live in walkable areas, so we use public transit (something you probably have never used before lol), Uber or what have you. Driving isn't a necessity per se if that's what you're asking. We actually walk a lot...

Last edited by pierrepont7731; 05-22-2018 at 01:30 PM..

Old 05-22-2018, 01:40 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Less gas stations in Manhattan. A lot of them are now big residential luxury buildings.

Not sure how it is in the other boroughs.

xoxo gassy tiddays..

Old 05-22-2018, 01:50 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,483,585 times
I keep a car in NYC. It's been years, maybe decades, since I bought gas in the city. Usually I'm driving out of NYC, so I get gas wherever it is I'm going.

I have property in NJ, so I have to go there on a semi-regular basis. Their gas isn't quite the bargain it used to be, but it's still vastly cheaper than NYC, and NYS in general, and I know a couple of particularly cheap gas stations. I almost never come back without filling up.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:00 PM

12,790 posts, read 8,295,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ryu View Post
Less gas stations in Manhattan. A lot of them are now big residential luxury buildings.

Not sure how it is in the other boroughs.

xoxo gassy tiddays..
lol There aren't many in the outer boroughs either. If they sit on any sort of land deemed valuable, they are scooped up and used towards re-development.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:02 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
$2.79/gallon here at Costco in Union, NJ.

Old 05-22-2018, 02:16 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
lol There aren't many in the outer boroughs either. If they sit on any sort of land deemed valuable, they are scooped up and used towards re-development.

Talk what you know!

There are still plenty of gas/service stations in Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island. They have plenty of car washes and so forth as well.

But those areas have higher levels of automobile ownership/use than Manhattan by local residents.

Large numbers of motor vehicles in Manhattan come from either outside of it, and or are passing through. Thus have other options for refueling.

Gas has always been far more expensive in Manhattan and NYC in general than either NJ, Conn, or even some of the other boroughs.

Besides the taxes and fees there is the captive nature of the thing; if you *need* gas and or don't know better you probably will find the nearest station in Manhattan even if they charge more.

There is a gas station at 96th and First just before the FDR that does a huge business. Largely because of their location. That and they are the last gas station left on the UES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City