Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times

Advertisements

Asian and Hispanic kids go to the same schools much of the time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 06:40 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is not true at all. About half of students at specialized schools are low income. Even a lot of white students at these schools are immigrants from Russia/Eastern Europe. Specialized schools are not majority white either, all of them are majority minority schools, they are just a "wrong" minority. Majority of students in specialized schools are coming from poor/working/immigrant class.

Whats blatantly racist is admitting people purely based on race or color of their skin. I don't understand why a black privileged child of Colin Powell should get a preferential treatment over an asian child of poor Chinese food workers.
Right, whites are way outnumbered at these schools, and it's really not a big deal if you don't attend one.

Old 06-04-2018, 06:48 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
They should just get rid of specialized schools and G&T programs. They should not be receiving any additional resources or funding. Dumb kids need it.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:29 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
They should just get rid of specialized schools and G&T programs. They should not be receiving any additional resources or funding. Dumb kids need it.
The argument against that is an interesting one.

Spending at Specialized and G&T Schools are quite a bit lower per pupil (about 20%) than at the Gen-Pop high schools.

Better behavior lends to less Dean/Disciplinary Spending and larger class sizes alongside less paid-tutor programs or mandates for keeping Regents passing scores ups.

These schools use less resources to operate and produce higher results because of their student body, parental preparedness, etc.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:30 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
The only ones crying about this new plan are blatant racist and a small number of parents that paid extra for testing. If you don't have kids,your voice does not count. Any sound minded NYer would see this is a step in the right direction.

Perhaps people are scared of AA and Hispanic students becoming too smart. How else would the prison,police, and bigot Fs make money for the city/state?
The current system is colorblind.
You, pal, sound racist.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
The argument against that is an interesting one.

Spending at Specialized and G&T Schools are quite a bit lower per pupil (about 20%) than at the Gen-Pop high schools.

Better behavior lends to less Dean/Disciplinary Spending and larger class sizes alongside less paid-tutor programs or mandates for keeping Regents passing scores ups.

These schools use less resources to operate and produce higher results because of their student body, parental preparedness, etc.
Makes sense. Now cut them out the budget. Let them be good examples to the lazy, in a place where they can actually take notice.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:55 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
This sounds anti-immigrant.
More like anti-Asian, some say.

Old 06-04-2018, 08:31 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,768,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
My yearbook begs to differ.
My older brother and I both attended Stuy albeit at different times. But during both our times there, Asians were not the dominant group. Caucasians were. Don't know how many Hispanics were there but during my brother's time, there were only 8-10 blacks out of the total student body of approx. 720 students. And when I attended Stuy later on, the demographics didn't change much. Maybe B'klyn Tech was more diverse. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think B'klyn Tech also had a larger student body than both Stuy or Bronx Sci. At least during the 90's when I attended and the 80's when my brother attended.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:29 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BklynDee View Post
As Someone who graduated from a NYC Specialized High School
I busted my ass studying and attending all free tutor sessions etc ,
Single parent home ,low income etc
I traveled every day back and forth from Brooklyn to Manhattan
because i wanted it so bad .
Had to keep my grades up very few absences
did every extra credit opportunity that presented it self .

I think some children today are just lazy !

I feel the true solution would be to offer more widespread free test prep and summer enrichment programs to those students
that want to apply themselves .

I would have never wanted to attend my school because i came from a low income family !

How will these children hold up in class ?
The students are highly motivated and very invested in there education .

im conflicted .

what do you do now?

Old 06-04-2018, 09:50 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,300,923 times
The focus should be to get more parents involved in the academic success of their kids, no matter where they attend school.

Many asian immigrants are beyond poor. They understand that they need to make the sacrifice for their kids and the next generation will reap the reward.
Where I grew up, our equivalent of elemantary school had everyone under one roof. Rich, poor, smart, challenged, asians, blacks and whites.

We had a school within a school for special Ed students. Then 3 levels of each grade. So one class for the super smart, one for the average, one for the barely passing/failing. The teachers could teach at the level of the students in their class.
You took a test for high school and you were awarded places based on test scores and nothing else!

Kids who couldn't make it academically were funneled into technical/trade/vocational training. Parents understood that their kids aptitude plus their efforts determined their success.

I have 2 friends who grew up beyond dirt poor, third world poor. They both have PHDs and are excelling professionally in the USA. I have many friends and family employed in various positions of academia. From college professors, counselors, deans to regular teachers. The biggest problem is the lack of discipline and focus, from both students and parents!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City