Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2018, 03:00 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,990,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer23 View Post
There is a case for reparations to black americans, however, seems a bit of a cop out to make the solution throwing them into a classroom with kids of working/middle class family origin and having them figure it out. It is also convenient that the people who set the policy and the power brokers of the society don't have to make any sacrifice. bill de blasio waited for both his kids to graduate and set the implementation date for when he is out of office.
It’s not a cop out. NYC created ghettoisation by dumping Black people cut off from social access to the rest of the city in “bad” neighbourhoods. If everyone around you is broke, there’s affects you in that people often get jobs from people they know. People outside of parents do advise kids on jobs and school, but if you’re dumped in an artificially created destitute environment, who is there to advise you. Examine yourself in why you are do desperate to throw black CHILDREN under the bus in an apparent attempt to make yourself feel better about yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2018, 03:06 PM

5,464 posts, read 5,715,581 times
Quote:
Bogus article. A lot of these graphs could be explained by simple demographics.
The amount of Asians in NYC quadrupled since 1980 and doubled since the 1990s. (Source: US Census)
There are simply more Asians now numerically competing for the same amount of SHS slots. As they are the highest scoring demographic, they pushed everyone else (whites, blacks, and latinos) down.

Old 06-14-2018, 03:07 PM

1,998 posts, read 1,883,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Examine yourself in why you are do desperate to throw black CHILDREN under the bus in an apparent attempt to make yourself feel better about yourself.
It more of not wanting to bring that type of baggage into a classroom. My extended family can be as dysfunctional as can be, doesn't mean I want to bring my child around them. At the end of the day, it is america and we have the freedom to choose.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:01 PM

Quote:
It more of not wanting to bring that type of baggage into a classroom. My extended family can be as dysfunctional as can be, doesn't mean I want to bring my child around them. At the end of the day, it is america and we have the freedom to choose.
Then that has to do with your internal family issues. Public policy is not made around your family personally, and just because you have issues with your family does not justify isolating or persecuting the children if others.

And you like it if your were children were automatically dumped in with Latinos, and excluded from everything else just because of their heritage.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:27 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Mayor de Blasio's son Dante's problem with the SHSAT, the elite high school admissions test that he says fostered racism at Brooklyn Tech - NY Daily News

Deblasio's entitled son complains racism at Brooklyn Tech.

Old 06-14-2018, 04:57 PM

I did not attend Brooklyn Tech but Dante being the son of the mayor does not mean that there is no racism at Brooklyn Tech.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,601,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

There's multiple problems. The federal government has busted the city for failing to remove lead from NYCHA, and we know many Black and Hispanic people live in NYCHA and have health and cognitive issues from LEAD EXPOSURE.
If true, this is truly shameful

Old 06-15-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
AFAIK, it is offered in every public school that has enough qualifying kids for a full class. Specialized high schools do not get any preferential treatment when it comes to funding, they get funded just like any other public high school.
Yes, this was my impression as well.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Don't the ex-Soviet countries have issues with xenophobia as well?
Yes

Old 06-15-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Majority of students coming out of NYC high schools need remedial classes when entering college. Offering AP class to all schools is really a waste of money, but one that necessary to stop people from complaining.
I think for sure AP classes should be offered in every school where there are kids that want to take them and are able academically to manage the work.

I went to public school (in NJ) and there were AP classes at my school. But not everyone took the AP classes.

It is very sad - if true - that the majority of students coming out of NYC high schools need remedial classes when entering college.
What is going on that that is the case?

But I do think that this speaks to the need either for tracking and/or specialized high schools.
You are not going to put kids that need remedial reading and writing in the same classes with high-achievers who are doing college-level (AP) classes in high school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City