Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2018, 05:53 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
[/b]

Or if anyone has substantially interacted with Puerto Ricans and seen Puerto Rican extended families, one would see all types of colors and looks within the EXTENDED family.
Of course...you can see black and white in the same family.

Just as within a group of black Americans or Anglophone Caribbeans you’ll find various skin tones instead of one singular complexion, because they are mixed to a certain degree.

Old 06-24-2018, 05:58 PM

2,678 posts, read 1,701,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Women also straighten their hair a lot. And for men, their hair might look straight when it's caesar length (which most Nuyorican men have) but once it gets longer it tends to have some visible kink to it.

I never said that. I said that modern day white supremacists are very accepting of Italians, and for that matter all non-Jewish Europeans
Puerto Ricans wore Afros during the 70s.

Even if they’re hair is straight you’ll usually see other features that hints non euro ancestry like thick lips, the nose shape or olive looking skin.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Puerto Ricans wore Afros during the 70s.

Even if they’re hair is straight you’ll usually see other features that hints non euro ancestry like thick lips, the nose shape or olive looking skin.
And few Puerto Ricans have completely straight hair. Most Puerto Ricans have curly or wavy hair. The hair texture tends to be thicker too (the African influence).

Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,599,527 times
I've been to Puerto Rico. Actually there are plenty of white Puerto Ricans, including blondes, as well as lots of mixed people, and some black people. To be honest, i felt there was plenty of racism against black people in puerto rico

Old 06-24-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I've been to Puerto Rico. Actually there are plenty of white Puerto Ricans, including blondes, as well as lots of mixed people, and some black people. To be honest, i felt there was plenty of racism against black people in puerto rico
You're either being dishonest or you're having problems identifying people if you're claiming the average Puerto Rican is white or can pass for white.

And no, most Puerto Ricans do not identify as white.

You feel a lot of things, but what do Black Puerto Ricans say? Don't speak for a group of people you have limited knowledge of.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:44 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
You're either being dishonest or you're having problems identifying people if you're claiming the average Puerto Rican is white or can pass for white.

And no, most Puerto Ricans do not identify as white.

You feel a lot of things, but what do Black Puerto Ricans say? Don't speak for a group of people you have limited knowledge of.
I happen to agree with her in her comment about racism in Puerto Rico. Hell the black Puerto Ricans that I've met, they either don't realize that they're black or have racist comments to make about black people (they'll say it in Spanish). Years ago I was out in Manhattan, and this Puerto Rican guy (young guy too) was just going off the deep end about black people in Spanish. It was disgusting. I didn't even say anything because I knew what it was all about. The guy wanted to make himself feel "superior" by putting down black folks. It's like dude, look in the mirror. You're BLACK!! You may be a black Hispanic, but you're still black. Additionally I've confronted some black Puerto Ricans about it who will straight up deny that they're black. I don't understand how they're so "confused" about one's nationality versus one's race. You CAN be black AND Puerto Rican, even if one of your parents aren't "black" as in black American.

I think the real problem with Latinos in general is they think that their nationality is their "race" and this is taught in Spanish. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Just like they'll say "la raza mexicana" as if being Mexican is a race.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:52 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
You must live in Queens then.
Exactly. And you in Brooklyn. So geography matters as to what culture you may become more aligned to. Brooklyn is black, Queens is white, but Puerto Ricans align themselves to either or depending on familiarity. And even Italians in Queens, they differ than those in the suburbs that I1195 is used to being surrounded and obviously bullied by during grade school. Same can be said of Puerto Ricans in Long Island vs Puerto Ricans in Brooklyn.

Old 06-24-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
I happen to agree with her in her comment about racism in Puerto Rico. Hell the black Puerto Ricans that I've met, they either don't realize that they're black or have racist comments to make about black people (they'll say it in Spanish). Years ago I was out in Manhattan, and this Puerto Rican guy (young guy too) was just going off the deep end about black people in Spanish. It was disgusting. I didn't even say anything because I knew what it was all about. The guy wanted to make himself feel "superior" by putting down black folks. It's like dude, look in the mirror. You're BLACK!! You may be a black Hispanic, but you're still black. Additionally I've confronted some black Puerto Ricans about it who will straight up deny that they're black. I don't understand how they're so "confused" about one's nationality versus one's race. You CAN be black AND Puerto Rican, even if one of your parents aren't "black" as in black American.

I think the real problem with Latinos in general is they think that their nationality is their "race" and this is taught in Spanish. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. Just like they'll say "la raza mexicana" as if being Mexican is a race.
Dude, a big insult for Black Americans is for Black people to make fun of how Black and ugly someone is.

Self hatred happens due to colonialism and the racism/persecution that Black people have dealt with in the US, Puerto Rico, Brazil, among other places.

Do Black Latinos sometimes deny being Black? Yes. And so do African Americans. I've known Black people to say I don't come from Africa, I don't look like a monkey, etc. These were African Americans. Some will even say that they are just Native America. But yeah, Jamaicans and other Caribbeans will also say that they were already over here and never a part of the African slave trade. Because people don't like the history, they make up things to suit their minds. It's a coping mechanism.

It's a shame SOME African Americans and SOME Puerto Ricans carry such deep self hatred, but it is what it is.

You have AAs who bleach themselves (Michael Jackson, lil Kim) just as Sammy Sosa, a Black Dominican bleached himself.

By the way, to be pitch Black is considered ugly in African nations as well, as they bleach themselves too because of the very bad things people say about people who are very dark skinned.

That's why I was critical of Shosanarose and you. Neither of you really know that much about Black people, or sadly the pathologies present among some of us and are really superficially looking at these things on the outside.

It's ridiculous for white people on this forum who DO NOT LIVE in and are NOT a part of these communities to speak as if they are authorities on them.

I have had only minor contact with Italians, and having known an Italian here or there does not mean I would comment on Italian culture or anything like that. I don't know enough, and I say it.

I also don't know enough on what it's like growing up AS an Asian immigrant. I don't have that experience, not from that background, etc.

It's so annoying when white Americans have the gall to think they can tell other people about themselves.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:04 PM

12,789 posts, read 8,293,232 times
Quote:
Dude, a big insult for Black Americans is for Black people to make fun of how Black and ugly someone is.

Self hatred happens due to colonialism and the racism/persecution that Black people have dealt with in the US, Puerto Rico, Brazil, among other places.

Do Black Latinos sometimes deny being Black? Yes. And so do African Americans. I've known Black people to say I don't come from Africa, I don't look like a monkey, etc. These were African Americans. Some will even say that they are just Native America. But yeah, Jamaicans and other Caribbeans will also say that they were already over here and never a part of the African slave trade. Because people don't like the history, they make up things to suit their minds. It's a coping mechanism.

It's a shame SOME African Americans and SOME Puerto Ricans carry such deep self hatred, but it is what it is.

You have AAs who bleach themselves (Michael Jackson, lil Kim) just as Sammy Sosa, a Black Dominican bleached himself.

By the way, to be pitch Black is considered ugly in African nations as well, as they bleach themselves too because of the very bad things people say about people who are very dark skinned.

That's why I was critical of Shosanarose and you. Neither of you really know that much about Black people, or sadly the pathologies present among some of us and are really superficially looking at these things on the outside.

It's ridiculous for white people on this forum who DO NOT LIVE in and are NOT a part of these communities to speak as if they are authorities on them.

I have had only minor contact with Italians, and having known an Italian here or there does not mean I would comment on Italian culture or anything like that. I don't know enough, and I say it.

I also don't know enough on what it's like growing up AS an Asian immigrant. I don't have that experience, not from that background, etc.

It's so annoying when white Americans have the gall to think they can tell other people about themselves.
I get to speak about it because the same nonsense that happens in the black community happens in other communities. People are always trying to "better themselves", either by lightening their skin, or "marrying up" or what have you. My girlfriend is a woman of color so I see first hand what goes on. I'm also not this lilly white guy. I'm Sicilian of mixed background, so let's get that straight.

It's not that complicated. The "dirty laundry" that you're speaking of has been out in the open for years. Spike Lee touches on self-hatred within the black community in several of his movies and the scene with the "brown paper bag" test. Every group has this fascination with skin color and striving to be light because to be light skinned is "right" and acceptable in our society. Asians, whites, Hispanics, blacks. Everybody does it. What you're describing sure as hell isn't "unique" at all.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:09 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post

I too have witnessed many a racist comments from Puerto Ricans towards Black people. And these were mostly from Puerto Ricans that live that Black culture as defined by I1995.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City