Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 06:05 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think the people who are focusing on the career are missing what I see as the main theme of the OP--He does not like the Colorado lifestyle and doesn't fit in with it, and it doesn't sound as if he's going to get into it anytime soon.

Life is short. While the career is important, so is location. You can be miserable in an environment that is not for you.

OP, do you see the pay cut as temporary? In other words, is it likely that your pay will hover around that level for a while, or do you see yourself able to move ahead in the next few years in your field?
This. Almost every post is glazing over the fact that what doesn’t really mesh with the OP is the lifestyle. One of my former coworkers moved from nyc (she was born and raised in Queens) to CO. We still keep in touch and I follow her on social media. In almost every single post she is hiking, camping, paddle boarding, etc. and she LOVES it. People who love CO, and get “the most” out of that environment clearly love the outdoor life. Just the same as people who get the most out of nyc love this environment which is very different from CO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 06:35 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDecisions View Post
Hey All,

(the Long story short
- Move to NYC for breath of fresh air in the form of culture, a city my speed, and women who are more my type
- Give up a massive promotion and take a pay cut in the process.
Got promoted twice within 4 years, paid off all my loans, and built a very sizable bankroll in the process. Now making six figures.

I am on the cusp of another 30k a year raise/promotion in Colorado, and about to turn 30. There is potential for a very fast career path here. I got a job here that I most likely wouldn't have gotten in NY because of the competition.

You are on the cusp of another $30K promotion. Why don't you make a 5 year move plan to NYC? Build an emergency fund, save to buy a condo/coop in Hoboken/Jersey City, etc. In the meantime, take vacations to NYC during every season and see if this is a city that you really want to move to. Moving to a NYC for the possibility of finding a good women or putting notches on your belt is not really smart. Especially losing 50K in salary.

How do you know NYC is a city of your speed? You are not from NYC.

Why not LA, Las Vegas, Austin, Dallas, Houston, Seattle, etc?

Old 07-09-2018, 08:45 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,933 times
It might be hard to enjoy NYC culture and meet women depending on the severity of your pay cut.

Have you looked around at the job market in NYC. More people here means more competition- how sure are you of landing a comparable position here in NYC? Colorado may be getting expensive but NYC is also an expensive city. Would/will you have enough money to finance all the culture that you want to experience?

Why are you dating women to whom you have to explain monetary matters to? Is that really what the women of Colorado are like- physically fit but dumb about finance? Have you expanded your dating pool as far as you can? People do move in order to where there are more opportunities to find a partner but make sure that you are not romanticizing NYC women.

Old 07-09-2018, 08:54 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
This. Almost every post is glazing over the fact that what doesn’t really mesh with the OP is the lifestyle. One of my former coworkers moved from nyc (she was born and raised in Queens) to CO. We still keep in touch and I follow her on social media. In almost every single post she is hiking, camping, paddle boarding, etc. and she LOVES it. People who love CO, and get “the most†out of that environment clearly love the outdoor life. Just the same as people who get the most out of nyc love this environment which is very different from CO.
Yes, it's true that people who love those types of outdoor activities enjoy CO. But there are still lots and lots of people who live here who don't focus on the outdoor life. Most people I know do not ski, for instance. Either they just don't like it or it's too expensive or too frustrating to get up to the mountains on the weekends so they don't bother.

Obviously Denver doesn't have the sheer numbers and variety of New York but there are still restaurants, a variety of museums, live theaters, movie theaters, comedy clubs, art galleries, concert venues (popular music and classical) and on and on.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:04 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,617,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
This. Almost every post is glazing over the fact that what doesn’t really mesh with the OP is the lifestyle. One of my former coworkers moved from nyc (she was born and raised in Queens) to CO. We still keep in touch and I follow her on social media. In almost every single post she is hiking, camping, paddle boarding, etc. and she LOVES it. People who love CO, and get “the most” out of that environment clearly love the outdoor life. Just the same as people who get the most out of nyc love this environment which is very different from CO.
I agree. There's no way in hell I'd live somewhere else in America as nowhere offers an urban environment like NYC does. We say it's getting washed out, but so is everywhere else USA and to a much faster extreme, usually because elsewhere in America they seem to just accept it, whilst here we fight it and then get crushed by absurd commercial rents (RIP).

Now outside of America there are a lot of good contenders for what I want, and I still think I'd enjoy Tokyo more than NYC, but visas suck, residence requirements suck, citizenship sucks, etc. etc. etc. But that's me, not the OP.

Old 07-09-2018, 09:13 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDecisions View Post
Hey All,

(the Long story short

2.) In my experience, most of the women I've met in Denver/Colorado work to live. Great lifestyle, completely opposite of me. This sounds judgmental on my part, and it totally is, but I don't want to really date someone who is waiting tables to save up money to go snow boarding all winter long. You might be thinking, why haven't you gone to a young professionals group, but Oh I have, and it's 30 guys to 1 girl.
Perhaps I should move to Colorado!

Seriously speaking, if you want to move here, the dating scene here is actually horrendous. There are so many people out there to choose from, that no one will take you seriously. As soon as you do anything wrong, she'll dump you for the next guy on line who seems perfect (although he'll turn out to be a jerk).

You have to be near-perfect to get a hot girl who is actually serious and not either bipolar,a drug addict, gay, or who is actually willing to settle to start a family. Everyone seems to just want to get hot and heavy for the one night, and then the pah-tay is over.

Oh, and if you do find that special girl (she does exist), there will be like 50 other hedge fund manager wall-street-type-guys with luxury apartments chasing after her as well! She'll definitely choose them, as they are alpha male playa's, then she'll get dumped for either growing older, or for whatever reason, and onto the next loser she'll date albeit temporarily, until the next dude with the Porsche drives up! (That is if she's not too busy experimenting with her gay side!)

That just about sums up the dating scene in New York.

Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

Seriously speaking, if you want to move here, the dating scene here is actually horrendous. There are so many people out there to choose from, that no one will take you seriously. As soon as you do anything wrong, she'll dump you for the next guy on line who seems perfect (although he'll turn out to be a jerk).

You have to be near-perfect to get a hot girl who is actually serious and not either bipolar,a drug addict, gay, or who is actually willing to settle to start a family. Everyone seems to just want to get hot and heavy for the one night, and then the pah-tay is over.

Oh, and if you do find that special girl (she does exist), there will be like 50 other hedge fund manager wall-street-type-guys with luxury apartments chasing after her as well! She'll definitely choose them, as they are alpha male playa's, then she'll get dumped for either growing older, or for whatever reason, and onto the next loser she'll date albeit temporarily, until the next dude with the Porsche drives up! (That is if she's not too busy experimenting with her gay side!)

Wow we have one female that keeps it real. ONE

Bravo!!!!!!!!

Old 07-09-2018, 10:27 AM

1,063 posts, read 697,110 times
OP given the nature of your job on what you just described - NO!!!!!

IN FACT - Don't leave Colorado until you've saved up at least 250k. It sounds like you're already at least halfway there. Why not just ride the gravy train until the wheels fall off or best case scenario until you can retire early? It sounds like you could potentially earn 5 mil by age 45 if you play your cards right. In the meanwhile start gradually building contacts in other states. Make it a soft transition instead of compromising your future earnings.

If you need a good Woman you can always hire me and I'll do all the screening and legwork and import you a good one from Japan or Costa Rica (no green card seekers either )

Old 07-09-2018, 10:39 AM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
OP given the nature of your job on what you just described - NO!!!!!

IN FACT - Don't leave Colorado until you've saved up at least 250k. It sounds like you're already at least halfway there. Why not just ride the gravy train until the wheels fall off or best case scenario until you can retire early? It sounds like you could potentially earn 5 mil by age 45 if you play your cards right. In the meanwhile start gradually building contacts in other states. Make it a soft transition instead of compromising your future earnings.

If you need a good Woman you can always hire me and I'll do all the screening and legwork and import you a good one from Japan or Costa Rica (no green card seekers either )
LOL, don't forget eastern Europe. Eastern Europe and Russia have some really good decent women.

I'm sorry to say, but Americanized women are probably the worst bunch to pick from!
I am not in that dating scene, but when I hear my friends / coworkers/ family talk, I'm like, "jesus christ! )

Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 AM

11,199 posts, read 9,087,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post

Read this a couple of times OP. You are making a boatload of money and no longer have student debt. Right now, you can be purchasing rental apts and making passive income for yourself.

You should travel with all the extra cash that you are making.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City