Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:00 PM

187 posts, read 449,458 times

Advertisements

Just got a speeding ticket in Midtown Manhattan for the first time in 20+ years of driving.

I don't think I was going as fast as the police officer claims, but he did not ask for my opinion...

My speeding violation would add 4 points on my drivers license, which can cost me more in insurance, plus would add an additional risk should I incur any other violation in the future. I am willing to pay an attorney to help me.

Here is my question: can an attorney help with the NYC Speeding ticket to avoid or at least reduce the points? I read that the NYC removed the plea bargaining system. So it's either Not Guilty or Guilty, making the assistance of an attorney almost useless. Is that the case?

And do you have anyone you can recommend? Did anyone have a similar experience/issue in NYC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 05:03 PM

106,594 posts, read 108,739,314 times
there is no real plea bargaining in nyc . it is 100% guilty or innocent . there is no prosecutor and no real judge . it is a dmv hearing and administrator perhaps the administrator will cut you some slack down to 3 points but no one can say . it is not like long island or westchester where plea bargaining is the norm

Old 07-07-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
there is no real plea bargaining in nyc . it is 100% guilty or innocent . there is no prosecutor and no real judge . it is a dmv hearing and administrator perhaps the administrator will cut you some slack down to 3 points but no one can say . it is not like long island or westchester where plea bargaining is the norm
OK, assuming this is the goal - to get down from 4 points to 3 or 2, would an attorney help with that? You know what I mean - would not want to pay $400-500 to an attorney and end up with the same fine and the same 4 points.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:32 PM

6,146 posts, read 4,504,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
OK, assuming this is the goal - to get down from 4 points to 3 or 2, would an attorney help with that? You know what I mean - would not want to pay $400-500 to an attorney and end up with the same fine and the same 4 points.
No.

Old 07-07-2018, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
No.
While I very much appreciate a short response, do you have any experience with it? What would you suggest I do - just plead not guilty and try to fight it myself at a hearing?

Are you saying hiring an attorney for this is a 100% waste of money?

Any thoughtful advice would be appreciated.

Old 07-08-2018, 05:12 AM

a reputable attorney will tell you the truth that there may be little they can do in nyc .

sometimes if you are over the edge where you are getting more points because of the speed they can argue the radar accuracy if you are a mile or two in to the next bracket . but usually there is not much they can do .

i had a 6 pointer and a clean record for 25 years . it meant nothing . GUILTY.

you can argue it and delay the case but keep this in mind .

unless you give the insurer reason to look they don't pull an abstract on every person so sometimes if you stay off the radar they don't see it .

i can take just shy of 4 years for a conviction to come off as insurers don't see points they see convictions . if you buy a new car or take the driving course , insurers are likely to look at your record since you put yourself on the radar . so make sure you are years away from getting a new car if you are going to drag this out .

taking the driving courses removes points but points are only a dmv internal thing . it is for purposes of getting your license suspended . it has no effect on what insurers see which is your convictions . you can get a slight discount on insurance but insurers are not stupid . they know most take it when they get tickets so they look .

i stayed off the radar for 4 years and the insurer never saw it .

Old 07-08-2018, 05:24 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
a reputable attorney in NYC going to court for $400-500? good luck!

Old 07-08-2018, 06:17 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
Just got a speeding ticket in Midtown Manhattan for the first time in 20+ years of driving.

I don't think I was going as fast as the police officer claims, but he did not ask for my opinion...

My speeding violation would add 4 points on my drivers license, which can cost me more in insurance, plus would add an additional risk should I incur any other violation in the future. I am willing to pay an attorney to help me.

Here is my question: can an attorney help with the NYC Speeding ticket to avoid or at least reduce the points? I read that the NYC removed the plea bargaining system. So it's either Not Guilty or Guilty, making the assistance of an attorney almost useless. Is that the case?

And do you have anyone you can recommend? Did anyone have a similar experience/issue in NYC?

Instead of asking in this forum, which may or may not get you anywhere (and I'm betting on latter); a quick Google search turns up pages of hits to your query. Specifically pages of attorneys who specialize in NY traffic law (speeding tickets, moving violations, etc....).

https://www.trafficlawyer.com/new-yo...-in-ny-and-nyc

https://www.tickethelp.com/tvb-appea...raffic-ticket/

Pick one, two or whatever, reach out and see what they have to say.

Old 07-08-2018, 06:37 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Does anyone know if a speeding ticket generated by a camera in NYC counts as a conviction? I paid the $50 and figured that was that. i wasn't worried because these camera tickets don't carry points. But now, based on what Mathjak said above, maybe it's on my license as a conviction. Does anyone know?

Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 AM

no , a speeding ticket on camera has no conviction since they don't know who the driver is , only the car is identified . it is like a red light camera ticket
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: