Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 12:22 AM

14,075 posts, read 13,995,390 times

Advertisements

As Amazon and Uber taking over the world MTA for second straight year as seen decline in ridership service and revenues is lower than expect. MTA is planning raise fares in 2019 and 2021 possbile base fare of 2.75 increase still uncertain.

“The MTA is proposing to increase fares twice in the next three years, including a four-percent hike next year, officials said during Wednesday's board meeting.”

“MTA officials said that even with the planned hikes, it is projecting significant deficits over the next several years. Officials on Wednesday blamed the budget gap on a second straight year of declining ridership.”

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...489130071.html

Last edited by BPt111; 07-26-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 12:54 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,253,146 times
MTA needs to start blaming themselves. We actually are at a all time high for riders. Its just a high percentage hop the turn cycles and buses and keep it moving. Thats what happens when you have negligent workers who don't give a ***.

Old 07-26-2018, 05:20 AM

766 posts, read 509,099 times
They blame everything on the budget

Why does the city don’t know how to work within a budget like everyone else?

Old 07-26-2018, 05:58 AM

31,978 posts, read 27,126,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post

MTA is a state agency, not city.

In any event state, local governments and public authorities (like MTA) often do not know exact sums they will receive until, well they arrive.

Government budgets depend upon revenue derived from taxes, fees, surcharges, and so forth. While some of these are pay as you go; income taxes in particular aren't due until 15 April, and it won't be until then that Albany or any local government knows exactly what it is getting from that sector.

The MTA also receives funding from a vast and bewildering array of dedicated taxes, fees, and surcharges. From your utility bills, to selling a property and so forth the MTA has their hands in your back pocket. This in addition to the tolls and fares collected.

Adding to this hot mess is fact New York State's budget is due by 1 April of each year. As noted above income taxes aren't due until two weeks later. So the budget is largely done (if completed on time) with projected revenue from certain sectors. If that does not materialize as planned, then things will have to be reworked later.

Finally the MTA has never in recent memory survived on "budgeted" income. Rather since the 1980's they have borrowed *vast* sums to finance things like capital improvements and other schemes. MTA is so deep in debt it really cannot (or should not) take on much more; hence the reason for all these fare/toll hikes in past and predicted for future.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-credit-rating

Old 07-26-2018, 11:25 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,253,146 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
MTA is a state agency, not city.
The point is people in the city live on a budget so, so should the MTA! I'm not rich, I live off less than 30 K a year but I budget my money well. Its not hard to do. Don't spend more than you have/take in!

Old 07-26-2018, 03:11 PM

31,978 posts, read 27,126,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
The point is people in the city live on a budget so, so should the MTA! I'm not rich, I live off less than 30 K a year but I budget my money well. Its not hard to do. Don't spend more than you have/take in!

Point is MTA *is* attempting to "live within it's budget". They are simply doing what any other smart business or household does; if outgoing sums are greater than incoming, then more of the former must be found. This and or cuts must be made to decrease expenses.

Sadly for the MTA one of their largest expenses (labor, healthcare, and pensions) consume vast and every greater sums from budget.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:21 PM

1,121 posts, read 593,383 times
Tell me more about how MTA manages their financial operations.

Tell me more about how MTA doesn't have enough riders.

Tell me more about how MTA doesn't make enough money.

Old 07-26-2018, 03:31 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,109,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
Tell me more about how MTA manages their financial operations.

Tell me more about how MTA doesn't have enough riders.

Tell me more about how MTA doesn't make enough money.
They gave us free WiFi though. (although, i would never use it)

Old 07-26-2018, 04:10 PM

15,880 posts, read 14,526,814 times
Well, first, it isn't the city. The MTA is a state agency. The mayor appoints a few board members, but the governor appoints the majority.

Second, fare only cover a fairly small part of the MTA budget. If you think people are complaining now, you wouldn't want to hear what would happen if the MTA had to cover it's entire operating costs from fare. Fare as supplemented by a hodgepodge of taxes and fees. And even the combination of all of this doesn't cover the MTA expenses, and they have to borrow the rest.

Quote:

Old 07-26-2018, 04:34 PM

19,281 posts, read 17,161,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Point is MTA *is* attempting to "live within it's budget". They are simply doing what any other smart business or household does; if outgoing sums are greater than incoming, then more of the former must be found. This and or cuts must be made to decrease expenses.

Sadly for the MTA one of their largest expenses (labor, healthcare, and pensions) consume vast and every greater sums from budget.
And heaven forbid there should be any form of constructive review to determine what labor expenses could be reduced...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City