Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:08 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan333 View Post
I have a portable W/D I can hook up anywhere.. .
No, you can't hook up a portable W/D anywhere. If that's your plan, you need to put it on your question list. I imagine most places the answer is going to be no.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:12 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,155,114 times
Quote:

This is standard in most other areas of the country. I'm sorry you are all used to accepting less and don't feel you have the right to ask lol.
There are a TON of things that are standard in most of the rest of the country that aren't standard here. That's a fact of life.

I believe one of the reasons so little info is given about apartments is that the vacancy rate is extremely low. Apartments at the lower end of the range get rented really quickly. The person asking all those questions and waiting for answers is simply not going to get the apartment if someone else moves faster and has all their paperwork in order and jumps at the chance.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:31 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,261,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, you can't hook up a portable W/D anywhere. If that's your plan, you need to put it on your question list. I imagine most places the answer is going to be no.
This.

No will be the answer.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:33 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,261,941 times
Quote:
Half these questions I really don't care about..the other half I do. Many don't apply to me. It's just a nice list for people searching.

I'm so sorry that you feel asking legit questions makes someone anxious. If landlords actually provided details, prospects wouldn't have so many questions to ask.

This is standard in most other areas of the country. I'm sorry you are all used to accepting less and don't feel you have the right to ask lol.
lol.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:54 PM

1,121 posts, read 592,822 times
1) Is there a fee? don't ask until closer to signing lease

2) When is rent due and what type of payment methods do you accept? don't ask

3) How long is the lease? this is a valid question to warm up the conversation

4) What are the terms of the lease and/or subletting? (in event you relocate for job, etc.) dont ask until closer to signing lease

5) Are pets allowed? What type? Extra fees? dont ask about pets until the landlord mentions something, otherwise, no

6) Is there laundry in building, W/D hook ups or a laundromat within 1 block? it is okay to ask if laundry is in building. not okay to ask about laundromat, it will identify you as easy meat

7) How is parking? Is it available off street, street parking or is there a parking lot for a monthly fee within a block or two of property? it is okay to ask (in general) what the landlord assesses the parking nearby. dont ask the detailed questions.

8) Income qualifications? Based on last year's tax return or last 3-6 months of paystubs? (How many times the monthly rent are you requiring? Ex. yearly salary must = 35x the monthly rent) it is ask to ask but it is better to delay talking about money until the landlord brings it up.

9) What credit score is needed? Is the credit check a hard or soft inquiry? (If landlord cannot answer this then it's probably going to dent your credit and you're going to waste a bunch of money in application fees) this is okay to ask up front

10) What's needed to move in? Deposit and first month rent or deposit + 2 month, etc.? this is okay to ask for details, up front

11) Is there a living room in addition to stated number of bedrooms? this is okay, and ask if there is a floor plan available to see, but you may want to hold off with this until you view the apartment in person

12) What floor is the apartment? this is okay right away

13) What's the process for maintenance repairs, etc.? this question is reserved until you decide you like the place, don't ask right away

14) Are there any additional fees outside of stated monthly rent whatsoever? Is the deposit refundable or non-refundable? hold off on these questions until beginning to negotiate the lease

15) Which utilities are covered/not covered? Would we need to get these in our own name or pay through landlord? hold off on these questions until beginning to negotiate the lease

16) What are the nearest public schools? (Ask so you can see the rating if you have kids because some are very bad) do not ask because it shows you do not know the city and can cause the landlord to take advantage of you

17) What's the exact address with zip code? (You can enter this into city data to see demographics and what type of area you'd be considering living in and also how far of a commute it is from work, etc.) do not ask at all

18) How far is the nearest train station and/or bus stop? do not ask at all. this shows you do not know the city at all.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 PM

1,121 posts, read 592,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I believe one of the reasons so little info is given about apartments is that the vacancy rate is extremely low. Apartments at the lower end of the range get rented really quickly. The person asking all those questions and waiting for answers is simply not going to get the apartment if someone else moves faster and has all their paperwork in order and jumps at the chance.

Truth^

Old 08-03-2018, 09:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,733,935 times
I wouldn't take the word of the landlord for some of your questions, except maybe if there is a long waitlist for a garage spot. You need to figure out the parking situation (plus the alternate side deal) on your own, by spending some time in the neighborhood on different days.

If for some reason, a landlord actually tries to "sell" or convince you to take an apartment, run. There's good reason for that. Most apartments in New York get snatched up pretty quickly. Some of the questions that you want answered are legit and as suggested by someone else, should wait until you are serious and about ready to sign the lease. IF you demonstrate your naivety, then the landlord will just reject you and get someone else. NYC is the exception to everything you know about apartment renting in the rest of the country, including upstate New York. It's doubtful that you can use your own washer/dryer in the apartment or that there will be any type of hook up for that. And don't try to use one of those portable washers and hide it in a closet without permission.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:31 AM

16,150 posts, read 6,892,845 times
Call me old fashioned.
As a former landlord reading from a list of questions may raise suspicions.
You may come off as being arrogant,scheming and intrusive.
No one person enjoys being questioned or grilled unless their lawyer is present.
Use your people skills instead and view the apartment.
Get rid of the list and memorize only a few simple general questions.
What utilities are included ?
What is prohibited in the apartment?
Terms of lease and finally
is parking or basement storage offered ?
Remember: It's his house not yours. He has every right to protect his investment.
Hope this helps.

Quote of the day: You get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:07 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,409,193 times
Quote:
If so, then pretty much myself and any other NYer can find a competent landlord who includes these details in their listing. A SMART person would include as many details as possible. Not only to save the prospects time but to save themselves time. So yes.. "REALLY" buddy ;-)

If the landlord is an idiot and gets annoyed at legit questions coming from prospective tenants, he can rent to trash. Ya know..the kind who jack up the place, blast bachata until 5 am on work mornings and pay their rent late

Quality people ask quality questions.

I'm going to try to refrain from being rude and try to give you a dose of reality. The NYC rental market is very hot right now. Even in the crappy neighborhoods. You will be one of dozens of people looking at the same apartment and if you go in there guns blazing with your list of questions, the real estate agent will look you dead in the face and tell you to stop wasting their time. You will essentially hurt your chances of getting the apartment because the landlord isn't going to want to deal with you. It happened to me because my wife was one of those annoying people that annoyed real estate agents with her questions and was wondering why no one was calling her back.

Instead of trying to post a comprehensive list of questions you want to ask a landlord, I would narrow down the list to a few imperative ones that will help you consider renting out the apartment. Narrow it down to pet friendliness, how they handle noisy/inconsiderate neighbors, what they will fix when appliances break, etc. Keep it simple and friendly.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:23 AM

2,607 posts, read 3,409,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Excuse me? You're the one moving here....

The average New Yorker knows all of this already and doesnt need to ask

Keep your transplant thoughts to yourself next time.

I can't give you any more rep points. But I'm going to give you a big
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City