Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 09:27 AM

28 posts, read 12,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
No, you can't hook up a portable W/D anywhere. If that's your plan, you need to put it on your question list. I imagine most places the answer is going to be no.

Actually, yes I can. You guys need to Google what it is. It's very small and can be used very easily in the tub and just spin dries. Almost like handwashing with a little help.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
There are a TON of things that are standard in most of the rest of the country that aren't standard here. That's a fact of life.

I believe one of the reasons so little info is given about apartments is that the vacancy rate is extremely low. Apartments at the lower end of the range get rented really quickly. The person asking all those questions and waiting for answers is simply not going to get the apartment if someone else moves faster and has all their paperwork in order and jumps at the chance.
Amazingly, this is what I thought as well..but apartments with landlords who wanted vetted people are absolutely not going quickly. I've contacted plenty that have been on the market for weeks who haven't found a qualified applicant. My spouse and I have excellent credit, excellent income, references, no debt, bank statements..all that good stuff. Apparently MOST people aren't shining in the applicant criteria today.

Close to half of the people I contact about apartments reply..even the ones who listed them weeks before... It seems like more landlords want people vetted and many people aren't cutting it these days or these listings wouldn't be up for so long...they're no fee and in decent areas, too!

So unless a landlord wants to take any ol' garbage applicant, no these aparments aren't going as fast as people think. Again..I thought what you thought and found this surprising..but it really makes a lot of sense if you think about it. It's very tiresome for these people to move a trouble tenant in..and at least vetting them decreases their chances of just that.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman-nyc View Post
1) Is there a fee? don't ask until closer to signing lease

2) When is rent due and what type of payment methods do you accept? don't ask

3) How long is the lease? this is a valid question to warm up the conversation

4) What are the terms of the lease and/or subletting? (in event you relocate for job, etc.) dont ask until closer to signing lease

5) Are pets allowed? What type? Extra fees? dont ask about pets until the landlord mentions something, otherwise, no

6) Is there laundry in building, W/D hook ups or a laundromat within 1 block? it is okay to ask if laundry is in building. not okay to ask about laundromat, it will identify you as easy meat

7) How is parking? Is it available off street, street parking or is there a parking lot for a monthly fee within a block or two of property? it is okay to ask (in general) what the landlord assesses the parking nearby. dont ask the detailed questions.

8) Income qualifications? Based on last year's tax return or last 3-6 months of paystubs? (How many times the monthly rent are you requiring? Ex. yearly salary must = 35x the monthly rent) it is ask to ask but it is better to delay talking about money until the landlord brings it up.

9) What credit score is needed? Is the credit check a hard or soft inquiry? (If landlord cannot answer this then it's probably going to dent your credit and you're going to waste a bunch of money in application fees) this is okay to ask up front

10) What's needed to move in? Deposit and first month rent or deposit + 2 month, etc.? this is okay to ask for details, up front

11) Is there a living room in addition to stated number of bedrooms? this is okay, and ask if there is a floor plan available to see, but you may want to hold off with this until you view the apartment in person

12) What floor is the apartment? this is okay right away

13) What's the process for maintenance repairs, etc.? this question is reserved until you decide you like the place, don't ask right away

14) Are there any additional fees outside of stated monthly rent whatsoever? Is the deposit refundable or non-refundable? hold off on these questions until beginning to negotiate the lease

15) Which utilities are covered/not covered? Would we need to get these in our own name or pay through landlord? hold off on these questions until beginning to negotiate the lease

16) What are the nearest public schools? (Ask so you can see the rating if you have kids because some are very bad) do not ask because it shows you do not know the city and can cause the landlord to take advantage of you

17) What's the exact address with zip code? (You can enter this into city data to see demographics and what type of area you'd be considering living in and also how far of a commute it is from work, etc.) do not ask at all

18) How far is the nearest train station and/or bus stop? do not ask at all. this shows you do not know the city at all.
I was looking for more questions to add but appreciate this reply! Very good insight. Best answer on the thread. Felt like highschool reading some of these answers that offered nothing but were given just to be catty..

I'm sure others will be grateful for your insight as well. thanks!

Old 08-04-2018, 09:43 AM

483 posts, read 843,085 times
"How far do I need to bend over?"

Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,146,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan333 View Post
Actually, yes I can. You guys need to Google what it is. It's very small and can be used very easily in the tub and just spin dries. Almost like handwashing with a little help.
You are a real know it all.

You stated, "I have a portable W/D I can hook up anywhere.. ." and that is simply incorrect. Many landlords will prohibit these.

I had a friend with an expensive (at the time -- this was a few years ago) apartment in Greenpoint that she was paying $2800 a month for and the LL absolutely prohibited her portable washer. This did not prevent her from illegally using it, and yes, she did get away with it, but she had a contraption that she placed over it at all times to hide it from the LL.

And btw, portable washers are prohibited in my building as well.

So, you're wrong.

Old 08-04-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Excuse me? You're the one moving here....

The average New Yorker knows all of this already and doesnt need to ask

Keep your transplant thoughts to yourself next time.
You don't own the forum so I'll continue to share my thoughts here and if you don't like it, you can hop off instead of "wasting" your "precious energy" with snarky comments for the sake of posting snarky comments.

It's not nice when people are rude back, huh?

XOXOXOX

Old 08-04-2018, 11:26 AM

1,486 posts, read 991,318 times
Quote:
Amazingly, this is what I thought as well..but apartments with landlords who wanted vetted people are absolutely not going quickly. I've contacted plenty that have been on the market for weeks who haven't found a qualified applicant. My spouse and I have excellent credit, excellent income, references, no debt, bank statements..all that good stuff. Apparently MOST people aren't shining in the applicant criteria today.

Close to half of the people I contact about apartments reply..even the ones who listed them weeks before... It seems like more landlords want people vetted and many people aren't cutting it these days or these listings wouldn't be up for so long...they're no fee and in decent areas, too!

So unless a landlord wants to take any ol' garbage applicant, no these aparments aren't going as fast as people think. Again..I thought what you thought and found this surprising..but it really makes a lot of sense if you think about it. It's very tiresome for these people to move a trouble tenant in..and at least vetting them decreases their chances of just that.

More and more I find these apartments stay on the market for so long due to discrimination.

Some landlords will only let certain races move in due to they are trying to create a certain kind of "community". This is common among the Jews, Indians, even the West Indians. They are looking for people like them that will blend in with the community and not come and disrupt the environment.

Even if its a family of 4, Mother, Father and 2 young kids the landlord may still discriminate due to they don't want to deal with complaints of kids making excessive noise like rollerblading in the apartment, sibling fights, loud music, etc.

Old 08-04-2018, 01:29 PM

31,939 posts, read 27,038,172 times
Quote:
We're moving in the next month (hopefully) and I've started our apartment search. I found that some well priced apartments actually had astronomical fees attached or didn't even have a living room. Some are not necessarily dealbreakers and many don't even apply to me but here's a list of questions I gathered for those renting an apartment to ask.

Is there anything missing you'd add to it? Hope this helps someone!

1) Is there a fee?

2) When is rent due and what type of payment methods do you accept?

3) How long is the lease?

4) What are the terms of the lease and/or subletting? (in event you relocate for job, etc.)

5) Are pets allowed? What type? Extra fees?

6) Is there laundry in building, W/D hook ups or a laundromat within 1 block?

7) How is parking? Is it available off street, street parking or is there a parking lot for a monthly fee within a block or two of property?

8) Income qualifications? Based on last year's tax return or last 3-6 months of paystubs? (How many times the monthly rent are you requiring? Ex. yearly salary must = 35x the monthly rent)

9) What credit score is needed? Is the credit check a hard or soft inquiry? (If landlord cannot answer this then it's probably going to dent your credit and you're going to waste a bunch of money in application fees)

10) What's needed to move in? Deposit and first month rent or deposit + 2 month, etc.?

11) Is there a living room in addition to stated number of bedrooms?

12) What floor is the apartment?

13) What's the process for maintenance repairs, etc.?

14) Are there any additional fees outside of stated monthly rent whatsoever? Is the deposit refundable or non-refundable?

15) Which utilities are covered/not covered? Would we need to get these in our own name or pay through landlord?

16) What are the nearest public schools? (Ask so you can see the rating if you have kids because some are very bad)

17) What's the exact address with zip code? (You can enter this into city data to see demographics and what type of area you'd be considering living in and also how far of a commute it is from work, etc.)

18) How far is the nearest train station and/or bus stop?
Title of OP should have added "for Transplants".

Those of us born/raised in NYC or anyone else who has lived here long enough already knows all this and more.

Just like a transplant to come bouncing into a NYC forum acting as if they own the place. This little cupcake is going to be in for some rude surprises upon moving here, that is if they ever do.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:04 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,693,874 times
Quote:
We're moving in the next month (hopefully) and I've started our apartment search. I found that some well priced apartments actually had astronomical fees attached or didn't even have a living room. Some are not necessarily dealbreakers and many don't even apply to me but here's a list of questions I gathered for those renting an apartment to ask.

Is there anything missing you'd add to it? Hope this helps someone!
1) Is there a fee?
2) When is rent due and what type of payment methods do you accept?
3) How long is the lease?
4) What are the terms of the lease and/or subletting? (in event you relocate for job, etc.)
5) Are pets allowed? What type? Extra fees?
6) Is there laundry in building, W/D hook ups or a laundromat within 1 block?
7) How is parking? Is it available off street, street parking or is there a parking lot for a monthly fee within a block or two of property?
8) Income qualifications? Based on last year's tax return or last 3-6 months of paystubs? (How many times the monthly rent are you requiring? Ex. yearly salary must = 35x the monthly rent)
9) What credit score is needed? Is the credit check a hard or soft inquiry? (If landlord cannot answer this then it's probably going to dent your credit and you're going to waste a bunch of money in application fees)
10) What's needed to move in? Deposit and first month rent or deposit + 2 month, etc.?
11) Is there a living room in addition to stated number of bedrooms?
12) What floor is the apartment?
13) What's the process for maintenance repairs, etc.?
14) Are there any additional fees outside of stated monthly rent whatsoever? Is the deposit refundable or non-refundable?
15) Which utilities are covered/not covered? Would we need to get these in our own name or pay through landlord?
16) What are the nearest public schools? (Ask so you can see the rating if you have kids because some are very bad)
17) What's the exact address with zip code? (You can enter this into city data to see demographics and what type of area you'd be considering living in and also how far of a commute it is from work, etc.)
18) How far is the nearest train station and/or bus stop?

Well, they're all reasonable questions, in theory. However, no one is going to answer all of those before you see the apartment, and some will be evident once you do see the apartment.

2)It seems silly to me to ask when the rent is due - does that differ so wildly from place to place, and does it matter beforehand?
3)The lease terms you're speaking of are pretty standard. If you relocate, you're still responsible, and whether you can work something out is based on the particular situation. Personally, I think it's a bad thing to ask up-front, as it makes you look unreliable.
11)I've never seen an apartment without a living room.
13)Repairs are, again, pretty standard.
15)Any utilities will be in your name.
There is no reason to expect the LL to know about laundromats or local schools.

What may be more important is for you to make a list of what you consider essential in in apartment (sun? dishwasher? elevator?) and what you want to look for when you view an apartment.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:10 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,552,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Title of OP should have added "for Transplants".

Those of us born/raised in NYC or anyone else who has lived here long enough already knows all this and more.

Just like a transplant to come bouncing into a NYC forum acting as if they own the place. This little cupcake is going to be in for some rude surprises upon moving here, that is if they ever do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City