Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 07:23 PM

31,978 posts, read 27,126,778 times

Advertisements

Since we seem to be on a real estate/affordable/low income housing roll this week.

'Drop In The Bucket': The State Of Affordable Housing In De Blasio's New York: Gothamist
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 AM

12,792 posts, read 8,329,294 times
The term affordable is so subjective too. I hate how that term is thrown around in this city.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:39 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,921,004 times
Ugh I am so over affordable housing. I typed out a much longer response but it would probably be viewed as rude, classist or unpopular. So I deleted it but I'm so irritated by all of it.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:13 AM

116 posts, read 80,211 times
Yeah, it’s really disheartening with the lotteries to see all of 1-5 units in a given building available for 40% AMI and double or triple the amount for higher income levels, and the stereotypes about low income people on this forum and in the city in general are abhorrent.
No one needs to come at me with economic jargon on this because frankly, the economy is made up and housing is a human right, and this city can be exhausting when you are already paddling as hard as you can just to stay afloat.

Old 08-09-2018, 09:41 AM

766 posts, read 509,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franksobotka View Post
Yeah, it’s really disheartening with the lotteries to see all of 1-5 units in a given building available for 40% AMI and double or triple the amount for higher income levels, and the stereotypes about low income people on this forum and in the city in general are abhorrent.
No one needs to come at me with economic jargon on this because frankly, the economy is made up and housing is a human right, and this city can be exhausting when you are already paddling as hard as you can just to stay afloat.
So luxury units for 1/3rd of the price isn’t enough for people?

Housing could be a right like you say, however that right doesn’t come with a stipulation of housing in prime area, large luxury apartments.

There are tons of affordable housing options just not in the prime areas in NYC.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:44 AM

1,486 posts, read 994,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrepont7731 View Post
The term affordable is so subjective too. I hate how that term is thrown around in this city.
Affordable housing is such a joke. There were many times in my past when I tried to apply and my income basically put me in a place where I made too little or too much. The straw that broke the camels back was when I qualified for an apartment over at Hunters Point South Crossing back in 2015 (Which is essentially what brought me to C-D and I just lurked for 3 years lol). They wanted to give me a studio on the 3rd floor facing north looking at a wall for $1560 a month, then have the nerve to say I had 24 hours to make a decision or I will forfeit the unit. Im so happy I told them hell no.

The term "affordable" is very subjective indeed!

Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM

994 posts, read 1,058,975 times
Is it just me or is the group the complains the most and loudest is also the one that has the most "affordable" housing availability? JUST ASKING

Old 08-09-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoullessOne View Post
Affordable housing is such a joke. There were many times in my past when I tried to apply and my income basically put me in a place where I made too little or too much. The straw that broke the camels back was when I qualified for an apartment over at Hunters Point South Crossing back in 2015 (Which is essentially what brought me to C-D and I just lurked for 3 years lol). They wanted to give me a studio on the 3rd floor facing north looking at a wall for $1560 a month, then have the nerve to say I had 24 hours to make a decision or I will forfeit the unit. Im so happy I told them hell no.

The term "affordable" is very subjective indeed!
I kid you not... Circa 2013, I saw a building in the South Bronx just off of 161st street listing "affordable units". The income ranges were absurd. They were posted right outside for all to see. At that time they had studios for people supposedly making $60,000+. I mean in the South Bronx, in Melrose at that in 2013, who in their right mind is paying those prices for what is essentially another form of housing projects? They had no where to dispose of garbage, so TONS of garbage, sofas and mattresses (uncovered) were just strewn all over the sidewalk. Everything was cheaply put together too so within a few years the building started to look like crap because you had working people mixed in with the ghetto folks.

This is another reason that I would NEVER go into any lottery because in most cases the developers don't give a damn. They want the tax breaks and that's that. Once the new shiny building starts looking old, they don't want to fix anything, and you're stuck in that apartment with cheap this and that. Better off just paying market rate rent and I can do my own thing.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:56 AM

116 posts, read 80,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
So luxury units for 1/3rd of the price isn’t enough for people?

Housing could be a right like you say, however that right doesn’t come with a stipulation of housing in prime area, large luxury apartments.

There are tons of affordable housing options just not in the prime areas in NYC.

The problem is that you’re making the assumption that luxury buildings should and can be built anywhere, that those with money should get to define which areas are prime and then gatekeep them, and that it’s perfectly acceptable for people who work in a city to be forced to its uglier, less accessible fringes because they can’t afford the median rent, because people wirh more money have come in and claimed the area they used to occupy as “prime areas”.

I don’t think the current system addresses this well, but luxury developers are supposed to offer up a certain number of apartments because they have oversaturated the extremely limited available land with their luxury buildings and aren’t building non-luxury units. If they want to make their big profits, they have to give something back. Most of them don’t seem to be going bankrupt, so I assume the major complaining about low income housing is just that - complaining.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MannerundKatze View Post
Is it just me or is the group the complains the most and loudest is also the one that has the most "affordable" housing availability? JUST ASKING
And what group is this exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: