Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 06:10 AM

766 posts, read 508,024 times

Advertisements

Bed stuy is gentrifying faster right now. I think Bushwick got its boom a few years ago but the focus shifted to bed stuy. Fulton St. along the A/C line is completely different. 10 years ago I barely saw a person get off at Franklin Ave now you got swarms of the yuppies getting on/off. The close proximity to crown heights/prospect heights/Clinton hill helps in that area of the stuy

There’s a massive lot about 1/4th of the block of Fulton that’s going to be a luxury building. Across from the C train. Then further down to Kingston and troop new coffee shops/restaurants and buildings as well. It has ways to go but you visibly see the changes. Downtown Brooklyn still isn’t done yet, Atlantic yards isn’t as well. Once that extension is finished the proximity bed stuy is to that area of job/population growth is going to explode. This all depends on if MTA doesn’t completely destroy itself and the economy continues

Ironically the first Starbucks and Chipotle is at the bed stuy/Bushwick border. Technically on bed stuy side by wood hull

Only thing Is bed stuy in my opinion is much larger than Bushwick and has more projects/section 8.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Not for nothing, but was just hanging out tonight at a bar on Halsey and Lewis and man is that area changed. All around the Utica stop on the A it's at least 50% white. Kinda neat to see the mix of old timers and young adults in the area.
I knew ît was real when a Ramen restaurant popped up on Utica/Malcolm X, Asians are usually the last group to help gentrify. They wait until the white hipsters show up first, they aren’t typically gentrifying pioneers.

And that’s well east into bed stuy. Stuyvesant, Lewis, Malcom X, Ralph and even Howard has restaurants/bars now. It’s mindblowing to me, like I said get rid of the projects and it could be park slope

Old 09-11-2018, 08:48 AM

497 posts, read 284,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakanda18 View Post
Bed stuy is gentrifying faster right now. I think Bushwick got its boom a few years ago but the focus shifted to bed stuy. Fulton St. along the A/C line is completely different. 10 years ago I barely saw a person get off at Franklin Ave now you got swarms of the yuppies getting on/off. The close proximity to crown heights/prospect heights/Clinton hill helps in that area of the stuy

There’s a massive lot about 1/4th of the block of Fulton that’s going to be a luxury building. Across from the C train. Then further down to Kingston and troop new coffee shops/restaurants and buildings as well. It has ways to go but you visibly see the changes. Downtown Brooklyn still isn’t done yet, Atlantic yards isn’t as well. Once that extension is finished the proximity bed stuy is to that area of job/population growth is going to explode. This all depends on if MTA doesn’t completely destroy itself and the economy continues

Ironically the first Starbucks and Chipotle is at the bed stuy/Bushwick border. Technically on bed stuy side by wood hull

Only thing Is bed stuy in my opinion is much larger than Bushwick and has more projects/section 8.
I don't really think Chipotle is a sign of gentrification. Also, Bed Stuy is not really a Mexican neighborhood like Bushwick so it is not as saturated with Mexican food.

Old 09-11-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
I knew ît was real when a Ramen restaurant popped up on Utica/Malcolm X, Asians are usually the last group to help gentrify. They wait until the white hipsters show up first, they aren’t typically gentrifying pioneers.

And that’s well east into bed stuy. Stuyvesant, Lewis, Malcom X, Ralph and even Howard has restaurants/bars now. It’s mindblowing to me, like I said get rid of the projects and it could be park slope
Well unless there are Asians living there to begin with.

Old 09-11-2018, 09:21 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:

One note to add is that NYU's expanding is greatly expanding its footprint in downtown Brooklyn and it's a straight shot to it on the A/C line. On top of that, even Pratt has expanded east in Bed-Stuy with its graduate program and fashion/wearable tech incubator. Finally, Brooklyn College is putting in a massive facility at the eastern end of the Navy Yard close to where all the industrial and warehousing buildings are in the northwestern part of Bed-Stuy and a lot of those plots are turning over to mixed-use with residential construction which is probably going to accelerate. There's definitely a large higher ed push to parts of what is happening to Bed-Stuy.

Quote:

Yea, Utica/Malcolm X in Bed-Stuy has seen a lot of change and new storefronts opening. I'm looking to go to the ersatz Nando's that opened up there some time soon, because I love Nando's, but aside from the ramen place, there's also stuff like a boutique-y coffee shop with Polish foods that opened up along with other coffee shops, along with a smattering of other restaurants and bars. Domicile even further out on Howard Avenue seems to be ridiculously misplaced, but its owners are likely betting on some pretty rapid changes--which will likely come around this year as some people decide to not renew their leases along the L train and move southwards. When I first passed by the place, some paranoia kicked it and I was thinking that the store must be a plant or something by some diabolical LLC landlord to kick things off.

What I'm seeing with the people I know who are considering moving due to the L train shutdown is that if they can't negotiate a lower rent, then the people with better paying jobs or getting older seem to be moving LIC/Sunnyside, South Williamsburg, downtown Brooklyn, Fort Greene, or more rarely, into Manhattan while the younger set, freelancers, and those making less are moving to Bed-Stuy along the A/C or G or into South Williamsburg, Bushwick, Ridgewood, and Bed-Study along the J/M/Z. Bed-Stuy's basically getting it from all ends except the east.

As for Asians moving in, that sounds about right in terms of the white collar and college student contingent and Bed-Stuy has seen a lot more of that in recent years. In terms of poor and working class Asians, they seem to go wherever they can get cheaper rent and/or shops and resources within their community. I've been seeing a number of Bangladeshi and Chinese moving to and from the projects, which I've seen the J/M/Z train riding away from Manhattan after I've already stepped off, these days which is a source of controversy for some.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 09-11-2018 at 10:26 AM..

Old 09-11-2018, 11:26 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,331,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildingLover View Post
Oh and the inside of bars in gentrifying neighborhoods tend to be way whiter than the neighborhood itself. So be careful not to be mislead by that.
Yes, that’s true.

Quote:
Yeah, I often see groups of Hispanics hanging out in what appear to be mechanic shops.

That's crazy, the only part of Bushwick which is that white would be a small area near in the Northwest corner of the neighborhood near House of Yes, and that's probably because of intracity tourism rather than the residents. But go a few blocks South to Maria Hernandez park (frequently referred to by locals as Knickerbocker Park), and it's very, very Hispanic.

And Utica is way deeper in Bed Stuy, and sounds like you're describing a whole area. Perhaps Bed Stuy really is flipping faster.
The mixture of people you at the subway stops, especially during rush hours, is a good visual for how an area has changed. The BS G train stops are majority white. Looking at my morning commute I’d argue close to 75%. The BS C train stop at Franklin and A/C at Nostrand are maybe 35%-40% white. I can’t speak about the stops further in because I don’t need to take them and will just walk to most anywhere in the neighborhood. I don’t think it’s gotten to over 50% white yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens in the next 5 years. Once you get to a tipping point the changes happen exponentially.

I’m not in Bushwick that often but my guess its gentrification push was driven by Williamsburg so it basically became a grittier Williamsburg. You can see that in the reflection of the abundance of bars and nightlife activity. Certainly more to do there than BS. Bushwick was changing faster than BS. However in the last year, I’ve seen massive changes in the BS demographic, the stores, the new buildings. There are massive new luxury buildings going up along Fulton and all along the north/south avenues. I think the tipping point is the L train shutdown. Former “new” Bushwick residents aren’t renewing their leases and just moving further south in BK.

Also, something interesting I realized is several ad agency holding companies have relocated this year from midtown to FIDi. The media/agency business is one of the biggest industries in nyc and is very “millennial” friendly. These employees now have to commute to lower Manhattan. This now makes two major industries, media/adv and finance that are concentrated downtown. Logic follows that this may encourage people employed in these industries to move to a better commuting area and the door to door commute from BS (and probably Crown Heights for that matter) to the FIDi is 30 mins. Millennials working in advertising aren’t known for making big salaries, at the junior level at least. However their salaries are high enough for renting in BS- especially when it’s them + a roommate or them+ their significant other.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Well unless there are Asians living there to begin with.
The Asian population in bedstuy was practically non existent except for the Chinese restaurants owners and they didn’t live there.

Middle income Asians typically aren’t the risky gentrifiers, to move into the hood. They have their own enclaves throughout Brooklyn and Queens.

Old 09-11-2018, 11:51 AM

Quote:
I don't really think Chipotle is a sign of gentrification. Also, Bed Stuy is not really a Mexican neighborhood like Bushwick so it is not as saturated with Mexican food.
High end fast food chains are, when you compare the neighborhood income level. You can get a $1.50 large coffee from the deli, why would the low income people who live there consistently pay double for the same thing at Starbucks every morning. Same with Chipotle, it’s $10 for a meal when Burger King has a 4 for $4 special.

You wouldn’t expect a chick fil a in east New York or Soundview. That’s why they haven’t gone there yet, the income demographics doesn’t support the business.

So in that sense it is a sign of gentrification because it mean higher income levels also a decrease in crime is also a factor

Old 09-11-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
High end fast food chains are, when you compare the neighborhood income level. You can get a $1.50 large coffee from the deli, why would the low income people who live there consistently pay double for the same thing at Starbucks every morning. Same with Chipotle, it’s $10 for a meal when Burger King has a 4 for $4 special.

You wouldn’t expect a chick fil a in east New York or Soundview. That’s why they haven’t gone there yet, the income demographics doesn’t support the business.

So in that sense it is a sign of gentrification because it mean higher income levels also a decrease in crime is also a factor
Chipotle is comparable in price to an actual taqueria. Chipotle isn't so expensive that only rich white people eat it. There's a Chipotle in the Queens center mall which is filled with lower income Latinos.

Chik Fil A probably would do well in East New York or Soundview. I bet they have them in other "unngentrified" parts of the country.

Old 09-11-2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
The Asian population in bedstuy was practically non existent except for the Chinese restaurants owners and they didn’t live there.

Middle income Asians typically aren’t the risky gentrifiers, to move into the hood. They have their own enclaves throughout Brooklyn and Queens.
I was referring more so to say, the South Asians in Jamaica and The Bronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Yes, that’s true.

The mixture of people you at the subway stops, especially during rush hours, is a good visual for how an area has changed. The BS G train stops are majority white. Looking at my morning commute I’d argue close to 75%. The BS C train stop at Franklin and A/C at Nostrand are maybe 35%-40% white. I can’t speak about the stops further in because I don’t need to take them and will just walk to most anywhere in the neighborhood. I don’t think it’s gotten to over 50% white yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if that happens in the next 5 years. Once you get to a tipping point the changes happen exponentially.

I’m not in Bushwick that often but my guess its gentrification push was driven by Williamsburg so it basically became a grittier Williamsburg. You can see that in the reflection of the abundance of bars and nightlife activity. Certainly more to do there than BS. Bushwick was changing faster than BS. However in the last year, I’ve seen massive changes in the BS demographic, the stores, the new buildings. There are massive new luxury buildings going up along Fulton and all along the north/south avenues. I think the tipping point is the L train shutdown. Former “new” Bushwick residents aren’t renewing their leases and just moving further south in BK.

Also, something interesting I realized is several ad agency holding companies have relocated this year from midtown to FIDi. The media/agency business is one of the biggest industries in nyc and is very “millennial” friendly. These employees now have to commute to lower Manhattan. This now makes two major industries, media/adv and finance that are concentrated downtown. Logic follows that this may encourage people employed in these industries to move to a better commuting area and the door to door commute from BS (and probably Crown Heights for that matter) to the FIDi is 30 mins. Millennials working in advertising aren’t known for making big salaries, at the junior level at least. However their salaries are high enough for renting in BS- especially when it’s them + a roommate or them+ their significant other.
That's a good point regarding the subway stations.

I'm not sure if the L train shutdown will have as big of an impact as commonly stated because the M train is accessible by a good chunk of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City